bench press

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
the_buffer

bench press

Post by the_buffer »

Hey guys,

Today while doing my bench press I was able to do all the reps, but at the end I felt I had a little more to give before hitting failure so I did a couple of half-reps in the top position because I knew I wouldn't be able to do any more full reps, is that a sign that my pecs/tris are uneven or something?

Thanks!
bull

Post by bull »

hey dude the reason you couldnt do any more full reps was because your triceps primarily had nothing left to give thats all sometimes you can fell like you can do more but after that first six inches off your chest it takes a lot of tricep work its not a question off imbalance in my opinion sounds like it was a good workout i hope this helps!!!
doolee

Post by doolee »

Wouldn't worry about it in terms of effectiveness. And I'm pretty sure tricep/shoulders are primarily what is used on the upper half (lockout).
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

thanks guys!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

First, congrats. Very happy for you it's going this well, this early!

Next, you DO have a spotter - right? :) In all seriousness, don't attempt these sets without them. Last thing I want to see is a BP Believer hurt :(

Having said that, your solution is an acceptable compromise IF you have some sort of "catch" mechanism most benches do.

Can't emphasize this enough: safety first. You can't make gains 6 ft under..
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

ya, it's pretty easy to get someone to spot... the nice thing about all that testosterone at the gym is people love to have their ego pumped up as well.

but you make an interesting point... It would take a lot of strength to literally push up the daisies.