barbell vs dumbbell

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
doolee

barbell vs dumbbell

Post by doolee »

Currently in famine, but I'm guessing it is preference? Is there any point in which one excels over another? I tend to get maximal chest work from dumbbells, but I can see how a barbell might be better in exhausting all my muscle's substrates, etc.
I still intend to use a barbell for the close grip and close grip decline.
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

I love working with dumbbells but ultimately with the bar you can go heavier. Plus the carry over isnt equal, I now value both and work with both.

Logistically I think its pretty unwieldy moving 120lb DBs into position, I couldn't imagine 160lbs, yet 320lbs is fairly manageable on a bar.

DBs allows me better contraction at the top
BB i get better power generation at the bottom

just my 2c

Hank
doolee

Post by doolee »

k, i might try to include both in feast stage. Although, my chest is really weak compared to every other lift of mine. So depressing =\ hahaha. Hoping it improves from BP though!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

It's like golf, you don't use just irons or woods. They're all tools, you just use the appropriate one at the appropriate time.

For me, it makes sense to use BB's in your loading patterns and perhaps DB's in your EDT blocks. But everyone is different..