Core conditioning?

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
siegtyr

Core conditioning?

Post by siegtyr »

I haven't been serious about the gym for awhile now and am just getting back into it, via the BP (I'm only on day 2 of the famine phase). At any rate, I noticed that my lower back was much weaker than my legs on squats and hampered me from really pushing it. Here's my question to the community:

Q. There's a lot of talk about "core" fitness these days, and I'm wondering how much truth or hype there is to it. I understand the importance of a strong foundation, but aren't I contracting/working those muscles when I do my heavy lifts? Do I really need the pilates, exercise balls, etc. to accomplish this?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You hit the nail squarely on its head.

A strong core can be developed with the big three and a handful of other exercises. There is no need for swiss balls, etc.

The key here is transition of power. Without a strong core a lot of power is lost in the ability to transfer power from the legs to the upper body back to the legs again.

Doing it our way (focus on compounds) plus a few additions does it as well, or better than "swiss balls"..
scump

Post by scump »

while i agree with what rob said, when i first started lifting my lifts were failing due to a weak core, some solid core exercises helped that and it showed in my lifts.

if you use the ball properly, its great for engaging the core completely (seen some crazy stuff done on there, but totally unnecessary) i think planks+side planks is plenty enough.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, fair point. In the words of Fred Hatfield:

"You can't fire a cannon out of a canoe"