Resting Heartrate

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Richard91

Resting Heartrate

Post by Richard91 »

how do you guys mesasure you resting heart rate in the morning. do you just have a stop watch and count while you hold onto a vein?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Best is an automatic blood pressure cuff. Measures it for you..

Alternatively, wristwatch with your other hand on your pulse either in your neck or wrist. Count for 15 seconds and mutiply by 4 to get the beats per minute.

Do that 3 times and take the average. Takes some practice but you'll get there!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

You could also try a heart rate watch. Accuracy is close enough - expecially for morning / resting rate. Can also be used in field and gym.
I started with a cheap SportLine from Walmart. Have since upgraded.
Just google Sportline or heart rate watches...hth
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

I know it's not the cheapest route but you can also do is purchase a HR Monitor. Polar has the best for cost HR Monitors on the market and you can get a few different ones.

I haven't utilized mine for lifting yet but I have one that I use for my cycling so I can keep my HR out of the 150-160 range.
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

I also have a Polar HR monitor. It is incredibly useful for not only measuring your resting HR but keeping your HR in certain zones depending on your training goal. It really adds a new level to your workouts. By keeping your rest periods short enough, you can keep your HR in the optimal zones.

Same for cardio. For long slow cardio I like to keep my HR between 120-135 which is the "fat loss zone" I read from someone on here that this zone ensures that your nervous system is not being stressed. I view it as being able to workout while not affecting the CNS or recovery.

I have the first gen model I believe but it does the job. You can get really fancy ones that can pre-program your workouts and whatnot.
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

True, but it depends on your body and what your min and max are and where you should be at for the goal of your workout.

Also, when doing cardio, try not to keep your HR in the 150-160 zone as for your body is not burning fat nor building muscle. This is the phase between aerobic and Anaerobic. This also is depends on what your max HR is and where you should be at for a 70%-80% Aerobic workout.
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

Suedec wrote:True, but it depends on your body and what your min and max are and where you should be at for the goal of your workout.

Also, when doing cardio, try not to keep your HR in the 150-160 zone as for your body is not burning fat nor building muscle. This is the phase between aerobic and Anaerobic. This also is depends on what your max HR is and where you should be at for a 70%-80% Aerobic workout.
Right on, I did not mean to say that 120-130 would work for everyone. I find that when I keep it in this zone, i dont have any problems breathing or soreness but i sweat a lot. A good indicator on effort level I have found since using the HR monitor is that you should be able to read a magazine or book while doing the cardio.
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

For sure, you know it when you hit it.

Falling off track of subject though. What I do to measure my resting HR is in the morning I grab my phone and get my pulse. I use the stop watch, let it count out to 10 and at that time, I multiple how many times it beat in 10sec and multiple by 10.

If you want a more accurate reading, count out further than to. Say to 20 multiple by 3, 30sec times 2, or better yet if you feel up to it count out to 60. Save that number and repeat for a few days. I would say you have it after about 4-6 days.

Myself, if I get a great night sleep my resting HR is in the 50's. When I did my resting HR for the BP, my sleep wasn't that great and a little restless. So when I took it, it was in the low 60's.
Richard91

Post by Richard91 »

Ok thanks alot guys. I just got a cheap watch with a stopwatch.

Using it for my RHR and to time my sets in the gym. I feel my 3 min rest are usually half that. We shall soon see.