Sore Shins while running

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
sovabrat

Sore Shins while running

Post by sovabrat »

Anyone experience sore shins from running? This happens frequently now and prevents me from using the treadmill.. I was able to run for 60 minutes a couple weeks back, but now I cant go more than 8. I might try to lower my speed and work my way up but I am not hopeful.

In the meantime I will continue using the elliptical for my long cardio days and alternate the bike and stair climber for my HIITS.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. How could I maybe fix this?
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Gait/bound flow -> repetitive stress

re Gait Analysis - Mike T. Nelson is all the way in freaking Minnesota, but may work with you by phone and or refer someone locally... see
https://extremehumanperformance.com/home.php
(btw - not an endorsement or a solicitation - just a fyi
I've had a couple good exchanges with him but have never been a client... seems to be 110% dedicated kind of guy...)

...AND shoes
re shoes. Tried 'barefoot'? - see Vibram 5 fingers, etc...

hth
jigga365

It use to happen to me

Post by jigga365 »

You need to find out what type of foot you have. Flat, high arch etc. This will help determine if your under or over pronating. If it's minor, a good running shoe from say Asics that support your issue will do the trick. If not you'll need to get a sports orthotic like I did. It set me back $300 but it's suppose to last 10-15 years. With these babies i've never had any pain again!
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

I am very flat footed. Its because of my hips. I am pretty sure my parents shopped around opinions with some orthopedics when I was younger. A couple of them said I would not be walking by the time I was an adult. I continued to play sports my entire life with no problems. Only recently have they been bothering me while running. And as I mentioned before, sometimes they are completely fine. I cant recognize any discernible pattern to it either.

I really cannot afford 300 bucks for orthodics. To be honest, I really dont enjoy running, I just like competing so I run in small 3.5k races. Its one of the better cardio methods for me which really works my vascular capacity. I don't ever get real winded form biking or elliptical no matter how hard I work.

Bummer.
jigga365

Post by jigga365 »

I agree $300 is a lot but I wear mine all day with every shoe. I was getting shin splints from running and playing sports. I was getting random knee pain also. You can look into https://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/index.jsp and click on the custom fit. You stand on a machine and it evaluates your foot and recommends the orthotic you need. They're like $30 I think. My co-worker has super flat feet and got these and it's working great for him. Good luck!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Flat foot offender #1 here. Can't run WITHOUT shooting pains.

Brain's suggestions are spot on (as usual) as are the insoles/special shoes!
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Sova

I am a FiveFinger/Barefoot guy I swear by these. Since wearing them I no longer wake up with Plantar Fasciitis.
I have included some articles below that show by running or walking barefoot you increase foot strength, while at the same time return your gait to a more natural movement.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/flat-feet-treatment/
https://therunningbarefoot.com/?cat=44

here is a snippet*
" The first, perhaps most important step is to stay away from orthotics and shoes with “plenty of arch support.” Rather than help you solve your problem, shoes with arch supports prop you up and lead to weak, atrophied foot musculature. Your feet aren’t grasping, pulling, pushing, and flexing inside a pair of athletic trainers; they’re growing soft and growing weak. Fixing, or at least mitigating, your flat feet is going to require some serious foot strength"
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

The contributions you Hank and others bring to this board astounds me sometimes.

I love learning new things so thank you..
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Try running on grass.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

"Try running on grass"

Sometimes, the simplest solutions are best!
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

Thanks guys. I am going to look into the articles Hank posted later. Running on grass is not an option. I live in Urban Chicago...
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

…extending what Hank is talking about with running, etc…

See Anatomy Trains by Thomas Myers. (on google books ?)
…the legs and feet in general, arches and shins in particular here, are parts of tensegral myofascial ‘trains’… issues with arches, etc. are ultimately issues with over and under compensations elsewhere in that or related ‘trains’ or ‘meridians’. The arches have significant membership in the Superficial Back Line… ‘imbalances’ in this line may be contributing to the shin issues, while something up in the shoulder, wrist, ? etc areas may be ‘stabalizing’ the ‘fallen’ arch issues, etc… Crazy? See
https://www.somatics.de/anat-trains/2.PDF Figure 8 . Also better and more comprehensive illustrations in the Anatomy Trains book

True Flow/Health in all these trains is why I have been harping on CST, etc.
“He who treats the site is lost”
Maybe I’m crazy but now every early a.m. I do full body joint mobility. Also, before every workout or game or strenuous activity I do full body joint mobility. I ‘muscle test’ throughout to ‘guide’ my workouts. After every one of these activities I do compensating prasara work. On off days, I go deeper with the prasara’s with gradual ‘release’ work, breathing into busting up residual fear - reactivity patterns in the ‘inner and outer bags’, etc.
Pains and aches and nursing and favoring and avoiding certain movements - just plain GONE! … Flexible, resilient, and btw ranging 20-40% more pounds per lift than I was maxxing 2 years ago.
Sova, if it were me I would not be running now at all. I would be doing the above and for aerob I would be doing something like TacFit Commando and would also get a floatation assist vest and swim (in the fricking lake :?: :shock: )

All the best
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

"Pains and aches and nursing and favoring and avoiding certain movements - just plain GONE! … Flexible, resilient, and btw ranging 20-40% more pounds per lift than I was maxxing 2 years ago".

This right here alone makes it worth looking into!! Great work Brain, as always. I hope other members take you up on it..
cgrover

Post by cgrover »

Stretch your calves big time...

This seems to help me...