Blueprint Training Tip: Bench Press

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Blueprint Training Tip: Bench Press

Post by RobRegish »

Here's a tip. Hope you guys find it helpful and a great example of what you get in terms of ongoing support with The Blueprint course:

PROBLEM:

Problems with lockout, not finding the right groove on the bench etc.

ANALYSIS:

You're coming out of the groove and robbing yourself of much power. If we can correct this, you'll be much stronger and de-fecto, deliver a stronger overload message for muscle growth.

TIP/SOLUTION:

With an empty bar in hand on the bench press try this:

Scoot forward on the bench and hold the bar at arms length. With arms extended, slowly move it backwards over your head. Then reverse direction and move bar forward over your groin. Repeat several times. At some point in this arc you will find a position where the bar feels almost "weightless".

Presto, you have just found the exact position in your bench press groove where the bar should end up :)
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

that does sound interesting Rob. i think im gonna try this out.

my BP is my serious weak point :( not terrible (~300, 310ish) but compared with my squat and dead (~450, ~475 wrapped and belted) i feel like a woman
kh971

Post by kh971 »

Hand placement on the bar is crucial also. I do not bench press anymore, and only use dumbells, but allowing the dumbell to lay into the groove between between the thumb and the "pointing finger" (sorry) and it extend right over the wrist on the underside of your arm allows the weight more centered over the forearm and then it allows for more tricep power to be used. I'm sure Rob can say it better!!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes absolutely. You're referring to keeping the bar/wrist/forarm in line vs. WAY back in the hand, which turns it almost into a lying tricep extension.

Spot on. Both great tips!
Dean

Re: Blueprint Training Tip: Bench Press

Post by Dean »

RobRegish wrote:Here's a tip. Hope you guys find it helpful and a great example of what you get in terms of ongoing support with The Blueprint course:

PROBLEM:

Problems with lockout, not finding the right groove on the bench etc.

ANALYSIS:

You're coming out of the groove and robbing yourself of much power. If we can correct this, you'll be much stronger and de-fecto, deliver a stronger overload message for muscle growth.

TIP/SOLUTION:

With an empty bar in hand on the bench press try this:

Scoot forward on the bench and hold the bar at arms length. With arms extended, slowly move it backwards over your head. Then reverse direction and move bar forward over your groin. Repeat several times. At some point in this arc you will find a position where the bar feels almost "weightless".

Presto, you have just found the exact position in your bench press groove where the bar should end up :)
Sorry Rob~ ..can you explain this more? I dont get it :(
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

What are you confused about?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Essentially somewhere during that exercise of moving the bar forward/backward behind the head it will feel absolutely weightless.

BINGO.

Right there is the optimal bar position for your lockout or where you want to bar to wind up. It does take some practice but I think you'll find it worth it if lockouts are your problem...
C.J.Sinclair

Post by C.J.Sinclair »

Sounds very interesting. I need to try this... Rob do you have any advice on Bench pressing without a spot? Of course I push myself but in the back of my head I'm always worried about failing and hurting myself. Just wondering if in your years of experience you picked up anything...????

Thanks man!
scump

Post by scump »

CJ you doing it in a cage man? or a smith machine?

i know Rob recommends NOT pushing yourself if you dont have these safety mechanisms or a spot.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Here's my tip: Don't risk death if you don't have a spotter.

I'm not joking guys. This happens every year. Some guy winds up crushed under a barbell and he's gone. Forever. Forever is a long time guys...especially if you have friends, family and others that love you. Me being one of them.

Please look into weighted dips. They're an EXCELLENT alternative and in many ways, superior to the BP.
Gotsouthern

Post by Gotsouthern »

RobRegish wrote:
Please look into weighted dips. They're an EXCELLENT alternative and in many ways, superior to the BP.
I'm a few days from ordering the Super Squat hip belt and pin you mention in the book, mostly for squats of course, but me and weighted dips are going to become fast friends with that purchase as well. I LOVE dips, but am at the point where unweighted the reps are way outside the strength and mass building range. That you consider these on par with or superior to BP makes me EVEN more excited to get on 'em. And as for the op, excellent tip, something I've struggled with for a long time. I'll be experimenting with that method shortly. Thanks Rob!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

My pleasure. I'm sure you'll love Ironmind's stuff.

Top shelf..
C.J.Sinclair

Post by C.J.Sinclair »

Thanks for the advice. forever is a long time and i have a dog to take care of. lol. so safety is of top priority ;) Right now ive been using a smith machine but I think i might make the transition and try some weighted dips. I appreciate your guys' timely responses.

Chris
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

No problem Chris. We'd like to have you around these parts for awhile... :)