Enteric Coating - Good/Bad?

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
Asao

Enteric Coating - Good/Bad?

Post by Asao »

Any thoughts on multivitamins/fish oil/etc with enteric coating? I was under the impression that whatever nutrients you are taking is better absorbed in the gut rather than the stomach. The main selling point for enteric coated supplements is to preserve it from stomach acid.

After reading this article it says that fish oil is best absorbed in the stomach and enteric coating may hinder absorption.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/49441 ... -fish-oil/

Are enteric coated supplements a waste of money? Is this the same for multivitamins? I noticed multilife by enzyme process uses a gelatin capsule compared to some other high quality multis that advertise enteric coating.
RobRegish

Re: Enteric Coating - Good/Bad?

Post by RobRegish »

Asao wrote:Any thoughts on multivitamins/fish oil/etc with enteric coating? I was under the impression that whatever nutrients you are taking is better absorbed in the gut rather than the stomach. The main selling point for enteric coated supplements is to preserve it from stomach acid.

After reading this article it says that fish oil is best absorbed in the stomach and enteric coating may hinder absorption.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/49441 ... -fish-oil/

Are enteric coated supplements a waste of money? Is this the same for multivitamins? I noticed multilife by enzyme process uses a gelatin capsule compared to some other high quality multis that advertise enteric coating.
In some cases this holds merit, in others it's... marketing :) Really depends upon the "active" involved. The main benefit in my eyes is for folk who have digestive system issues/otherwise have difficulty absorbing nutrients/nutraceuticals.

You need only look at nature though, to understand. Absorption of most vitamin/mineral and other related items is just fine - nature doesn't enteric coat much... :)
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

It really depends on how extreme into performance ‘nutrition’ you are. If you’re already gulping down handfuls of vitamins, extracts, and isolates, then attention to the ones best utilized unaltered by stomach acidity is a worthwhile extension.

Regarding fish oil – they started enteric coating it because of the fishy smell ‘blowback’ and then (conveniently) added all the other ‘benefits’ of coating for marketing purposes. The liver manages O3’s utilization / whether it’s sent on cell-ward as omega 3 or broken to meet caloric needs. Assuring that your body has adequate 9’s then 6’s well before taking the 3’s beats the snot long term out of enteric coating for getting the most benefit…
scoooter

Post by scoooter »

From one who suffers from fish burps the only way I can manage a fish oil supp is when its coated -