Xlb57 - Doing it BP-style for the 1st time!

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

So felt quite a bit better today and decided to hit the gym after work. I was pleasantly surprised with the strength and energy I had during this session!

Today's Workout

Squat: 355 x 5 PR
SLDL: 225 x 5 PR

DL: 345 x 3 PR
Cable rows: 240 x 3

Lower EDT

Leg Press: 758 x 6 x 4, 758 x 8 x 2 (Total Reps: 40) +3 from last session
superset with
Seated Ham Curls: 145 x 7 x 4, 145 x 8 x 1, 145 x 11 (Total: 47) +8 reps

Upper EDT

Incline DB: 60 x 7 x 6 (Total: 42) - Shoulder felt decent...Didn't push it
superset with
Tbar: 130 x 7 x 4, 130 x 6 x 2 (Total: 40) +2

I tell you what, I am really enjoying the strength gains thus far. I am thinking the increased calories have really helped. Next Monday I plan to taper them back a bit according to the outline Rob set up earlier.

So far so good!
SkyZero

Post by SkyZero »

great job man! been reading through your log and i find it inspiring. hoping to get started on BP in a week or 2 myself.

I think I might have a similar issue regarding the shoulder, will def use yours as a template if i feel any soreness/pain with my shoulder.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Love seeing those PR's!

Great going man. Glad you're having success with it!
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

SkyZero wrote:great job man! been reading through your log and i find it inspiring. hoping to get started on BP in a week or 2 myself.

I think I might have a similar issue regarding the shoulder, will def use yours as a template if i feel any soreness/pain with my shoulder.
Thanks Sky - Best of luck to you!

Shoulder stuff can DEFINITELY be frustrating. As Rob suggested though, find what works and hit it as hard as possible. If you feel any strain/pain, avoid it, rehab it, and kill all other body parts in the meantime.
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Quick weight update. I weighed in at 207.2 lbs this morning. That marks only a .7 lbs increase from my base weight (206.5 lbs - Saturday prior to Famine) even though I have been eating quite generously. Beginning Monday I plan to taper calories a bit, so I am thinking some recomp effects should really start to take place.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Very nice. Look for weight settling into a 3-5lb swing range during Feast but weights JUMPING or should be.

If so you've hit paydirt..:)
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Rob - Do you think I should still taper calories back as we had discussed earlier or should I continue with the current calorie load until I've hit that 3-5 lbs range?

Thanks - I'm looking forward to continued strength gains!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Give it another 7-10 days before beginning the taper. We should know by then if any adjustments need to be made.

I think that makes sense. Great work so far :)
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Sounds real good Rob.

We can re-evaluate in a week or so. Thanks for the continued support and assistance!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

As always, my privilege and pleasure.

We're a team, win or lose. And I hate losing so I'll make sure we win next time :)
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

So just completed my De-Load session and it went pretty well. Shoulder is being iced as it is a bit sore, but no more so than any other session. Slowly but surely I will work it back.

Squat: 335 x 7
SLDL: 225 x 7

DL: 315 x 7
Cable Rows: 210 x 6

Lower EDT

Leg Press: 758 x 7 x 5, 758 x 9 x 1 (Total: 44 - +4 reps)
ss w/Seated Ham Curls: 150 x 6 x 4, 150 x 7 x 1, 150 x 10 x 1 (Total: 41)

Upper EDT

Incline DB: 65 x 7 x 5, 65 x 10 x 1 (Shoulder felt pretty good - Will continue to slowly increase weight each session)
ss w/Tbar: 130 x 7 x 5, 130 x 6 x 1 (Total: 41 - +1 reps)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Very nice.

Can't wait for max day :)
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Rob - The last few days my shoulder has been more sore than usual (with a great deal of increased tightness in the mornings). I am thinking that I may take off until Sunday, at which point I will perform my max on squat and DL. My alternative approach is to go at it hard tomorrow and push it a bit to see how it responds - If negatively, then I may schedule an appointment.

At what point would you suggest that I take some sort of break from any lifts that could cause further irritation or when would you suggest I visit a doctor? I just don't want to prolong this shoulder issue if rest or treatment would cure it. Furthermore, what happens to my progress with the BP program if I were to take some sort of a break?

Frustrated! Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

First, I'd definately take the extra rest day. Second, massage the hell out of it or get one. Third, slather it in icy hot prior to the workout with a BIT of cayenne pepper. Fourth, if you're not using cissusRx start now.

If you do feel sharp pain, discontinue and seek medical treatment. While you're playing defense on your shoulder though, we're going on the OFFENSE on squats, deadlifts and whatever else doesn't hurt. I don't like defense. I like offense, so we're going to play offense. Here's an inspirational example for you:

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... highlight=

Bum shoulder but what did we do in the meantime? Put 55lbs on his squats in record time.

My $.02...