Argh.... Squat form

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
hah2110

Argh.... Squat form

Post by hah2110 »

I'm worried about my form on squat. I don't have a mirror near the smith machine and am worried I get it wrong. At the very least, I don't think I'm consistent rep to rep with where the pressure on my foot is, position, etc. Could someone give me some tips so I get perfect form?

Thanks!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Your best bet is to squat on a box.

Briefly, construct or obtain a box that is set to parallel or slightly below. You will find it awkward at first but it is a tremendous tool insofar as teaching CNS conditioning. That is, it will build over time into your CNS/brain until it becomes automatic.

BONUS: It builds incredible strength out of the hole.

This or the hip belt would be #1 on my list. The hip belt does much the same in the depth dept especially. Couple of cinder blocks or like step up apparatus and you have the PERFECT depth established every time.

Well worth the investment guys. If I could I'd buy one for everybody! At the very least... get the Ironmind Loading pin. You can hand that from your belt and you're in business!!
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

Ok... The box definitely can't go to the gym with me, lol. The belt will help but how do I determine foot positioning? Knee positioning? Etc.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

The most basic, natural way I can tell you is just like you squat onto and off a toilet. People use textbook form here b/c they don't over-think it.

Otherwise, I'd direct you to the uber-stickie exercise index...

Famine Squat Workout #3 - Big.jazayrli shows us how it's done (again!)

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=476

You see his form/depth? Very consistent, very automatic. This is where you want to be after burning it into your CNS/brain after practicing it many times..
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

The box is a great idea, I see people at the gym sometimes dragging over a bench or something to stick their butt on.

I don't know Rob's take on this, but if you have access to a real squat rack I've personally found that it is far more effective than the smith machine.

Also, I usually do anywhere from 3 to 5 warmup sets, and that's the perfect time to practice both your form and your breathing.

Rippetoe has some good videos too: https://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Squat_Videos
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, I forgot to mention.... get the hell away from the Smith. Especially on this movement! It puts an incredible sheering force on the knees.
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

RobRegish wrote:Yes, I forgot to mention.... get the hell away from the Smith. Especially on this movement! It puts an incredible sheering force on the knees.
I've got no choice right now...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Get this baby:

15" LOADING PIN
https://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... ber=1314-C

Best choice you could make :)
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

Are there any pics for how someone would use that to squat? I'm trying to envision it, but it seems like it would chafe your inner thighs?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Full demo found here: No chaffing :)

Hip Belt Squats - How To both w/Free weights and Cables!

The first video is with the loading pin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PldcPTOA ... re=related

That loading pin is HIGHLY recommended and makes free weight loading a snap.

Second video is how to do it with a low pulley attachment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzpRhqW5o6Y

Check your BP on page 35 as to where to get the 2 belts I recommend as well as the loading pin. Superb for squats, weighted chins, dips etc!
Gotsouthern

Post by Gotsouthern »

Ive got the belt and the pin, highly recommend both. It expands your capabilities and options tremendously, even if you do regular squats also. And to be honest, squats aside, I'd have bought it just to do weighted dips, those are fast becoming my favorite upper body lift. I've really surprised myself at how much weight I can do those with (Monday did 4 sets 10/10/8/6 w/ 40/50/60/70).

Weighted chins are a major goal for me as well. I've always seen the baddest of the bad asses in the gym doing those, and for a guy who can easily remember not being able to do a single unassisted chin up, it was like some ethereal realm of lifting. I'm up 12-9-8-6 set now, when I can do 10 across the board I'm gonna tack on a little weight to the first set, even if its only 10 lbs it'll be a huge accomplishment in my eyes.

Anyhow, Ironminds squat belt and pin FTW big time. Worth every thin red dime and then some!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yep, those two are dynamite.

Can't say enough about this guys... save up.