Post by PowderMonkey »

Sup peeps

Vitals:
28 years old, male
6 foot/182 cm
187lb/85kg
20% ±2% body fat

The short version:
I've been in and out of the gym, nothing really long term due to lack of motivation and being in and out of the hospital. I am now motivated, and (probably) hospital free for at least another decade to come.

As a direct result of my hospital time, I have a very high pain threshold. When I fail a set, it's because my muscles can't continue, not because of pain, or burn or anything like that. I do get DOMS, but it doesn't really do much to me.

Concrete example, just last week, I burned the tip of my right thumb and index finger, by cleverly picking up a hot tray at work. I could feel the pain of the burn, but what stopped me from working was that I could feel my body going into shock and I thought it would probably be a good idea to sit down for a little while.

Just today, I ripped both of the blisters from the burns clean off while working out. I didn't even notice until I was in the shower, post workout. I also tore a few callouses, and again, only noticed in the shower. Things like this happen to me a fair bit. I am very careful about listening to my body for this reason.

About 6 weeks ago, I decided to do this for reals. I now wake up at 5am every day, and have been going to the gym monday wednesday friday mornings. After about a week, I was addicted. I plan on being a big mofo, as big as I can get.

Part of my hospital visits involved a 6 month recovery at age 13. This meant that when I was up and about again, pretty much all my muscles were in atrophy. I couldn't even squat my own body weight at first! This meant a course of steroids. This meant that I was able to move around normally again, with a host of side effects (thankfully now dealt with), which in turn means that I'm never using steroids again unless my life absolutely depends on it.

I'll be endlessly posting in this thread until it becomes way too long to handle. This will serve to record my ongoing progress, so that I and others can see what's possible under the influence of the blueprint.

The long version:
I have intracranial hypertension. If you didn't study for your last med exam, this means that my brain doesn't reabsorb the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) that it produces. To stop this causing problems, I have a lumbar peritoneal shunt. Again, if this reads to you like I'm just mashing the keyboard, this means that I have a non-structural piece of piping that connects my lower spinal column with my abs. Muscle tissue can also absorb CSF, so the shunt redirects the excess CSF from my spinal column to my abs. Non-structural means that I can do pretty much whatever I want, because the shunt has nothing to do with the load bearing mechanisms of my spine. Pretty cool, yeah? I just can't play contact sports, because if the shunt gets broken, I'm back in hospital to get it fixed in under 48 hours.

If you are strong of stomach, you can google "hydrocephalus" to see what would happen to me if I didn't have the shunt. Be warned, the images you will see are quite graphic and disturbing. Add small children to the mix and you have tragic as well.

I started working out in high school, this lasted maybe a month. While getting my first degree, I had another stab, this one lasting about 3 months. In both cases, I had no clear direction or idea of what I was doing, so never really went anywhere. This killed motivation, which meant that I promptly gave up.

About 3-4 years ago (it's a little hazy) I started seriously. I got some personal training sessions, and went all out. Just as I started to make some visible progress, my shunt broke, and I landed back in hospital. My shunt had been deteriorating steadily over the 3-4 years before it broke. This meant that my brain was under pressure pretty much constantly, and although I occasionally experienced headaches as a result, I chalked them up as migraines and ignored them. There are no nerves in your brain, this is one reason of many why patients undergoing brain surgery are conscious during the surgery.

My brain was busy dealing with the increased pressure, so although I had no idea at the time, I was operating at about 50-60% mental capacity. I have always been very good at managing stress, but during this time it was very hard to cope. I relied on various forms of caffeine to keep me going. My memories form this period are very hazy. I have trouble recalling exact dates or details from this 3-4 years, and often have to use supporting material (letters, diaries, emails etc) to figure out exactly what happened when. I have only fragments and snatches of recollections.

A few months (I think? see previous paragraph) of serious strenuous physical activity degraded the old and literally decaying shunt to the point where it broke. 2 operations, a new shunt, and 12 weeks of no gym time pretty much killed that attempt at getting buff.

My body is not very good with handling caffeine since the last hospital stay; it just doesn't know what to do with all the excess stimulation. I don't drink coffee (despite being very good at making it - I'm currently working as a barista), and as of January 1, 2010, I've had less than 5 litres (about a gallon and a half) of soda, total. I now can't stomach soft drinks, they are waaaay too sweet.

About 6 weeks ago, something in my brain snapped. Like, I can remember the moment and exactly how it felt, like someone reaching into my skull and flicking a switch. I want to be huge, I don't care how long it takes. I started on a beginners program over on the bb . com forums, and have been going at it for these last 6 weeks. I have made progress using this program. The problem is that I'm impatient and observant. Everyone goes on about "noob gains" and I don't feel I've made the sort of progress that's typical with newbies. I have, I looked at my progress earlier today. It's just in my head, because I want to be further along than I am. I've also noticed, even among elite levels of powerlifting and bodybuilding, that there is an alarming amount of broscience. People (I myself am guilty of this) recommend things without knowing how, why, or even if they work. There is a great deal of what I'm just going to call product pimping; supplement companies preying on the desires and wallets of motivated athletes with complicated, incomprehensible, and masculine sounding trademarked ingredients and product names. Very little (to my knowledge) testing actually goes on to see what certain products can contribute, or how performing a certain exercise in a certain way with a certain frequency will actually benefit the athlete.

This is what drew me to the blueprint - many people showing evidence of its success. Success, based on research and experimentation into how the human body works. Having read through it once today, I know that I'll be able to use the blueprint for years to come, using a range of different exercises. ("The Blueprint, taking the 'bro' out of 'broscience'") And I know that it will work, because the research has been done, and continues to be done, into how to work with the body's natural rhythms and coping mechanisms.

Something that I've heard a lot in the last 6 weeks is that everyone is different. This is true, everyone is different. But, we are also remarkably similar. Did you know, there are only 5 types of ears? That's right, your ears work exactly the same as 1 in 5 other people's. Worldwide. This blew my mind when I heard about it. We all have digestive systems, central nervous systems, muscles, and, barring disabilities or accidents, the same number of appendages and sensory organs. Some of us might gain weight slightly faster than others, some of us may be better at certain activities than others. But the arguments that I've heard in the last 6 weeks about certain things working for one person not working for another person, I refuse to believe (I blame other variables, such as diet, rest, hazards such as smoking or stress, etc etc). To me, it is ludicrous to suggest that you will get the same result as me by doing something completely different. I've spent enough time around medical professionals to know that we are all approximately the same. If we weren't, doctors would have a very difficult job of it, because they would first have to figure out how you as an individual worked before they could give you any sort of treatment. And guess what, beyond cursory examination to determine things like allergies, they don't!

Again, this is why I like the blueprint. having read through it, and gone back to these fallacious arguments, it's plain to see what variables are influencing the different results that the debaters are experiencing. Scientific method ftw!

Progress pics and stats to follow immediately. At the end of this week, I'll be finishing up my current workout plan. I'll be taking a week off for Christmas, and the following week will be week 1 of cycle 1 of the Blueprint.

Bring it!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Welcome home man! So happy to have you.

I've got to be honest... the brain thing concerns me. Do run BP by your doctors because it causes an very profound "alarm" signal during Famine. I need 100% certainty from you/your doc this isn't going to be problematic. Just looking out for you/your health. You can't make gains when you're in the ER (or worse!).

We MAY need to make some adjustments. I will of course, work with you on this and anything else you need. VERY excited for you and like I said in the opener... welcome home man. No bro-science/focus on magic beans here... :)
PowderMonkey

Post by PowderMonkey »

which bit has you worried? just wondering about specifics, because i'm pretty aware of my condition and can give you the medical reassurance or go and get a second opinion based on what you think might be the issues?

i got the all clear from my neurosurgeon after i recovered from my last set of surgery for weightlifting and strenuous physical activity. working out last time only broke my shunt in the same way that touching a papyrus from ancient egypt would destroy it - too much for a decaying object to handle. it was the original shunt installed when i was a baby, so i'd kinda outgrown it at age 25, and the lifting weights just pushed it over the edge.

my current shunt is brand spanking new and seeing as i'm done growing (the distance from my lower spine to my abdominal cavity won't increase, no matter how buff i get), there's probably not going to be any problems with this one for another 20 years, at least. who knows where med science will be up to by then? operations when i was 13 took 6 months to recover, operations a few years back took about 6 weeks to recover!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

In particular, Famine. Specifically - workout #3.

In Famine, the objective is to disrupt homeostasis. The climax is reached in workout #3 where you're working VERY fast in between sets (30 second rest intervals!) on things such as squats.

That's a heavy burden for anyone, let alone someone with a pre-existing condition. Thus, my concerns. You know you better than I know you though. Please run this by your doc. It just makes sense both for him, you and everyone really.

Finally, don't be concerned if you have to resign yourself to things like bodyweight squats etc.. I know I was first time out of the gate. Humbling to say the least. If you have to waive/skip workout #3, do NOT hesitate. I have a feeling based upon your stats you may not require it. Plenty don't and go on to stunning gains.

Please don't take offense to any of this as I respect you, your goals and your judgement. I do value health moreso than gains though. I think everyone should. That's what this pursuit of ours is all about!!
PowderMonkey

Post by PowderMonkey »

just had a looky, should be fine.

i've been squatting 110lb for the last 6 weeks (nothing groundbreaking, i know) and increasing the reps each week, so this morning, for example, squats were

45lb x 12
45lb x 12 (2 x warmup sets)
110lb x 12
110lb x 12

30 seconds in between warmup sets, 1:30 inbetween work sets.

if i was to continue with this program, next week i'd be doing 8 reps in each set, work sets would be 120lb or 125lb.

looking at famine workout 3, it will be a struggle, but definitely achievable. i have no qualms, and can't wait.

i appreciate your concern, and your willingness to help =)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK man. Do pass this plan by your doc.

Right here for you if you need me....And yes, I'm concerned about ALL of you. Especially though, given your situation.

100% here to support your efforts, whatever they may be!
PowderMonkey

Post by PowderMonkey »

My gym put up their Christmas/new years opening hours, and if I start the blueprint next week, as was originally the plan, I won't get to do the 3 workouts for famine.

I know that I may not get to the third one anyway, but I'd rather have the possibility and not take advantage of it than not have the option and wish that I did.

So I'm pushing everything back by a week.

I do have a question: how critical is a week off before starting famine? The only reason I know my gym's opening hours is because I couldn't stay away yesterday, even though I was operating that this would be the week off before famine next week.

Short version: I seem to be addicted and can't keep myself out of the gym. Is this going to mess everything up for famine?

The next few posts will probably be many many questions that I have in the lead up to starting in the first week of the new year.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

If you absolutely NEED to go in, do some low intensity steady state cardio. Nothing stressful and NOTHING that's going to impart soreness, etc.

I know it's hard man, but you need to do it. Sales people understand this: It doesn't matter how many hours you clock up. You're not getting "paid" in muscle by spending endless time in there.

You get "paid" while you're resting, sleeping and eating. Think of it that way. Every time you step in there, it's like withdrawing from your bank account. Keep withdrawing every day and pretty soon.... you're overdrawn.

As the great Hank! here said once: "A dull axe chops no wood".

You have no idea yet of the power of rest once we put the loading patterns into motion. Very soon however, you will. And you will grow (literally) to love the power of the spaces in between. For it is not the notes that make the music... but the spaces in between :)
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.
Abraham Lincoln

I wish i could take credit.

Rob is right though I never realized the importance of rest until i started the BP, now I cherish rest.
PowderMonkey

Post by PowderMonkey »

thanks guys.

i've been going 3 times a week, monday wednesday and friday, first thing in the morning. i know muscle is built during recovery.

i also am aware of how little i know about all this, so i've come up with a compromise.

i've started a stretching routine on my off days, consisting of dynamic stretches followed by static stretches. it's a full body routine and takes me anywhere between 20-40 minutes. when i was at the gym yesterday, i asked if it would be ok for me to use the room where they hold their classes (feels a bit weird calling it a classroom) when there's nothing scheduled in there. got the thumbs up.

so next week, during the week of no training, i figure it won't do any harm if i do my stretching routine in there. hopefully, it'll feel enough like i've actually been to the gym physically so that i won't go into withdrawal or anything.

is this a terrible idea?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

No, it's an excellent idea in fact!

Now do take note of the following: Once you get into Feast, it is critical that you insert extra rest days along the way. I'll provide guidance, but the reasoning goes as follows:

As you grow stronger, you're lifting heavier weights for more reps... that means the stresses grow exponentially on the body. It is a fundamental law that your body needs additional recovery time to super-compensate and grow stronger.

The proof: Simply go in Monday and squat your best 5 rep max. Now do that Tuesday, Wed and every day thereafter. I'd be surprised if you make it until Friday. If your brain doesn't stop you your body will either through injury or sickness to protect itself.

I know what you're in for and it's an eye opener (a very pleasant one). Let's just sit back and let the results as they say.... speak for themselves :)
PowderMonkey

Post by PowderMonkey »

Waking heart rate 67 -- Tuesday
64 -- Wednesday
77 -- Thursday, but this wasn't immediately after I woke up. It was about 10-15 minutes later, and I was already in the shower before I remembered that I should be measuring my heart rate. I'm probably going to discount this one in the calculations.
63 -- Friday
60 -- Saturday. Happy new year!
63 -- Sunday
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Hank! wrote:Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.
Abraham Lincoln

I wish i could take credit.

Rob is right though I never realized the importance of rest until i started the BP, now I cherish rest.
God Hank can you put these all together and send them to me? These are so good, I want to use them in 3.0. Credit to you first, then Abe.

He's dead anyway, doesn't need the publicity either :)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PowderMonkey wrote:thanks guys.

i've been going 3 times a week, monday wednesday and friday, first thing in the morning. i know muscle is built during recovery.

i also am aware of how little i know about all this, so i've come up with a compromise.

i've started a stretching routine on my off days, consisting of dynamic stretches followed by static stretches. it's a full body routine and takes me anywhere between 20-40 minutes. when i was at the gym yesterday, i asked if it would be ok for me to use the room where they hold their classes (feels a bit weird calling it a classroom) when there's nothing scheduled in there. got the thumbs up.

so next week, during the week of no training, i figure it won't do any harm if i do my stretching routine in there. hopefully, it'll feel enough like i've actually been to the gym physically so that i won't go into withdrawal or anything.

is this a terrible idea?
It'll either help or it'll hurt. The weights will tell you.

Listen to them :)