Chest Press Machine

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Xayndro

Chest Press Machine

Post by Xayndro »

Hello guys, I got the Blueprint today and almost finished reading.It is really something else.
The first question I got in mind is about bench press.I generally use chest press machine in my workouts instead of bench press because I dont have a spotter and I love the angle of pressing movement with machine.I wanna ask that during feast workouts is it ok to use press machine instead of bench press? Do you think that I can feel the same growth effect?
doolee

Post by doolee »

not a hundred percent sure, but I think the reason apart from stabilizing muscle development is the impact of the exercise on your CNS. The mind isn't under the same amount of physical/mental stress, and as a result, the growth signal is not as strong. I generally ask a random person to spot me when I'm in need. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd hate to give bad information lol.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Don't care for them and much prefer the barbell IF you have a spotter. Otherwise, good for EDT blocks I'd say.

Feel free to incorporate them there. If you're not already doing dips, try them! You'll NEVER go back to that chest press machine.

Well, never's a long time but you know what I'm saying :) All the best and I'm glad you liked my book.

Remember though, it's YOUR book. I wrote it for you man... Sincerely hope it helps you.
Jacos5

Post by Jacos5 »

I'm pretty seriouse about my Benchpress so I wont settle for anything less than a barbell. I recomend just asking someone around you for a spot. Or maybe even one of the workers in your gym? I'm a pretty shy guy but I don't really have a problem asking. But I think barbell would make a difference. Goodluck man.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

do like Rob said and go for the dips man

the carryover in strength is surprising
Xayndro

Post by Xayndro »

Thank you guys, Rob for your answers.I will go for it then, I am excited already :)
jimmyk21

Post by jimmyk21 »

What about smith vs free weight barbell? If I trained with someone I'd prefer barbell 100 out of 100 times, but if I train alone do you see any benefit to going with the smith for safety? (on just bench, I'm comfortable using the pins when squatting)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Safety first, always.

Any benefit you lose using the Smith vs. Free weight bench is far outweighed by death.

Hard to make gains when you're dead.
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

dumbbell presses are a good alternative as well. You don't have the same safety issues and you can get a nice stretch as well.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes excellent point.

By bringing the DB's lower than the chest, you build strength out of the bottom. You can accomplish the same with a wide grip on the barbell, but then there's that death thing again with no spotter...
jimmyk21

Post by jimmyk21 »

I like being alive :D
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Solid choice! We like you that way too..

:)