deadlift grip/belt and bench

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
DaCookie

deadlift grip/belt and bench

Post by DaCookie »

For deadlift I see the powerlifters do 1overhand and 1 under, is this better for gains or is it to just max out the weight on the bar?

Those belts people wear for squats/deads and other things, what are they for?Do they work?

And for bench most people bounce it off their chest and some just touch it, I do neither, I go about just an inch or two above my chest(the spot where my arms start to go below paralell of the bench itself) because if I go to touch my chest it puts a strain on the two arm wing joints in my back(dunno what you call it) and it feels really unnatural for me.This only happens when im using heavy weight low reps.Is this limiting my gains in bench?
scump

Post by scump »

hey bro, the overhand underhand grip does not benefit gains at all... all it does is increase your grip strength (a lot too) so it allows you to deadlift heavier weights, if your grip strength is strong enough you dont need these... straps increase it even more.

regarding squat belts... there is a really good page on nolinksplease, if you go to the exercises section a sticky called something like "all about belts" or something, give that a read, will answer all ur questions.

and with the bench, you are supposed to achieve full ROM, which means just touching the shirt, do NOT bounce of the chest, this is a rookie mistake and you see a lot of people doing it, the recoil helps you get the weight back up... but it also breaks your ribs!

i must admit im also guilty of going 1-2 inches above my chest for my work sets, but for my warm up sets i always touch the shirt.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

For deadlift I see the powerlifters do 1overhand and 1 under, is this better for gains or is it to just max out the weight on the bar?

A. The mixed grip is favored in competition due to the grip strength imparted by such. It also increases risk of injury so there's a tradeoff. I would suggest using it though, if you desire to compete. Even if you don't using it on your lighter sets is a good idea.

Those belts people wear for squats/deads and other things, what are they for?Do they work?

A. They most certainly do, primarily by increasing intra abdominal pressure i.e. by giving the abs something to push against. Still, a strong set of abs is hard to beat :)

And for bench most people bounce it off their chest and some just touch it, I do neither, I go about just an inch or two above my chest(the spot where my arms start to go below paralell of the bench itself) because if I go to touch my chest it puts a strain on the two arm wing joints in my back(dunno what you call it) and it feels really unnatural for me.This only happens when im using heavy weight low reps.Is this limiting my gains in bench?

A. Yes, you are. Suggest lowering the weight to get a TRUE read on your strength here. Suggest bringing the bar down to the chest, pausing for a second and performing all reps in this fashion for the next 6 months, minimum.

It will be an ego killer early on but you'll thank me some day. The reason you're experiencing pain now is due to weakness in that range from likely years of not working that area.

For you're only as strong as your weakest link, and we will work now to address that...
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

RobRegish wrote:For deadlift I see the powerlifters do 1overhand and 1 under, is this better for gains or is it to just max out the weight on the bar?

A. The mixed grip is favored in competition due to the grip strength imparted by such. It also increases risk of injury so there's a tradeoff. I would suggest using it though, if you desire to compete. Even if you don't using it on your lighter sets is a good idea.

A. They most certainly do, primarily by increasing intra abdominal pressure i.e. by giving the abs something to push against. Still, a strong set of abs is hard to beat :)

A. Yes, you are. Suggest lowering the weight to get a TRUE read on your strength here. Suggest bringing the bar down to the chest, pausing for a second and performing all reps in this fashion for the next 6 months, minimum.

It will be an ego killer early on but you'll thank me some day. The reason you're experiencing pain now is due to weakness in that range from likely years of not working that area.

For you're only as strong as your weakest link, and we will work now to address that...
Might buy one of those belts then, about the bench...

feelsbadman.jpg

Ill be pissed if I go down in the weights, cause ive only been not touching my chest for like 3 months now after noticing the pain when moving up in weight.If my 1RM goes down ill be well pissed.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Gotta get over that though... I know its hard but see it for what it is, one step back for two steps forward. Just as Famine teaches us, it can be beneficial to correct weaknesses before they cause bigger problems.

I can vividly recall biting the bullet on this and yes, it's a bitter experience at first. I am so glad though, that I did it. It didn't take long, either... for the strength to come back and then some.

Keep that in mind when approaching this. It's very, very true...