Hypertrophy

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Sisonpyh

Hypertrophy

Post by Sisonpyh »

I read the entire blueprint yesterday, looks very solid and after reading peoples logs and hearing commentary over at nolinksplease.com I must say the book lived up to the hype. I do have a few questions after reading, and it seems I am in a nolinksplease.com community state of mind, as it seems everyone over there follows and states the same ideas and principles, (8-10 reps for hypertrophy, 1 minute in between sets etc) and I am curious on your opinion compared to what is found on other forums.

It appears in many of the workouts that different rep ranges are used with different time intervals. Much of the reps appear to be an average at the 4-6 zone (first 5 day workout after famine, Bill Starr's 5x5, Mike Mentzer's heavy duty etc.). I believe you are saying to use these workouts for hypertrophy. So do you believe the 4-6 rep range gives as much muscle mass as the typical 8-10 rep range usually stated for hypertrophy or if that is more of a myth? And if one minute interval rest is more for hypertrophy while 3+ minute for strength?

For the first run through I was planning on doing a workout like:

3x10 deadlifts or 3x10 squats
3x? wide grip pullups
3x? shoulder width pullups
3x10 bent over row
3x10 bench press
3x10 seated press

but I am thinking after reading your book to switch up rest intervals and rep ranges as it seems many of the workouts change these variables.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Excellent question and one I'll elaborate on here..

The critical element missing from the 4-6 reps vs. 8-10 reps etc. argument is this..... density. Density measures the total tonnage done per unit of time. Credit Charles Staley/EDT for this fantastic contribution. Let's look at an example:

Squat workout #1 - Trainee doesn't keep track of time it takes to perform all sets. Winds up being 25 minutes start to finish.

Squat: Weight used is 300lbs for 8 sets of 8 reps. Assume 25 minutes to complete all sets

Calculation: 300lbs x 8 sets x 8 reps = 19,200lbs/25 minutes to
complete all 5 sets start to finish.

Results: That yields a number quantifying intensity. You demanded that your muscles lift 768lbs/minute.

Squat workout #2, Trainee keeps track of time.

Squat: Weight used is 300lbs for 8 sets of 8 reps. Calculation: 300lbs x 8 sets x 8 reps = 19,200lbs/20 minutes to complete all 5 sets start to finish.

Results: That yields a number quantifying intensity. You demanded that your muscles lift 960lbs/minute.

As you can see, you increase overload by 192lbs/minute by putting it in the context of time. This, given the very same load/set/rep spread.

Blueprint though, takes this a step further by leveraging loading/de-loading. For example, in the Famine you'll see radically increasing total tonnage. When you transition to feast, BP training protocol total tonnage drops precipitously but for a reason... fatigue masks performance.

Meaning now the body plays catch up and starts laying down muscle at an accelerated rate.

Hope that helps..
Sisonpyh

Post by Sisonpyh »

Thank you Rob that does clarify some of my questions.I think this may be one of those things where you can ask a hundred questions but actually doing it will be better.

I do have one specific question:

1) I understand the use of loaded stretches to better enhance the workout/ supplements but I still do not understand quite what they mean.

From what I gather you superset with an exercise similar to the main lift, though without as much volume?

Ex: Pullup set then superset with lat pulldowns. And that would be considered one set of six in German loading pattern.

I start famine next week! Never really was into fruits and vegetables before but after reading the spinach and alkalizing bit, that will definitely change. That alone might of been worth the 35$...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Appreciate your kind words, really do...

Loaded stretch movements should be used immediately after the big barbell lift as an adjunct to them.

EXAMPLE: Barbell bench press, supersetted with/seated cable rows with a maximal sttretch at the very bottom of the movement.

Volume is either equal to, or slightly less than the main barbell lift. Never more though..

Hope that helps!
Sisonpyh

Post by Sisonpyh »

And I appreciate the amount of work you have put into the program.
Thank you Rob, that does clarify my question.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

My pleasure.

Anything I can do to help, I will...