BP Begginer Questions

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
hugo

BP Begginer Questions

Post by hugo »

Hi,
I am new to the Blueprint and pretty excited about it. After reading through the BP 2.0 and 3.0 I have a couple of questions. As there is no beginners forum, I hope it is ok to post all of them here.

1.) I rarely have around 10 straight weeks for a complete BP cycle due to business trips. More likely that I have 6 – 8 weeks. In most cases I will not have time to visit a gym during these trips. These trips typically last from Monday – Friday.

How should I structure my BP cycle in this case? Shorten feast phase? Shorten cruise phase? Skip cruise phase?

2.) This question is related to 2):
Sometimes I only know about a trip one week beforehand. What should I do, when I am in the middle of the feast or cruise phase?

3.) I had some shoulder problems in the past. Are the heavy SCT bench & shoulder press a good idea in this case?

4.) In the BP 3.0 Rob writes that a caloric intake rate of 100%/70% for training/non-training days lead to a lot of lost fat, but unsatisfying gains in lean mass

Wouldn’t that on the other side mean, that the 100/70 approach is the best one if the goal is only leaning out?

5.) Some questions around Synthagen:
a. If I only want to invest into one supp, it should be Synthagen, correct?
b. How is it dosed on non-training days?
c. If I take Synthagen, I do not need the formula anymore, correct?
d. Would it still be beneficial to use the formula?

Thanks for your help,
hugo
LuckyMan

Post by LuckyMan »

Hey hugo, I'm a newcomer myself, but I will chime in on a couple of points.

Up until a year ago I had a job where one week out of 3 I would leave on Sunday morning and fly back late Friday night; flying from the west coast to the east coast. I couldn't make myself wake up early in the mornings to work out, but I found if I made it a priority I could *always* manage to work out at least one night a week, and many times I could fit in two workouts. Hotel gyms never work, but hotels often have an arrangement with a local gym also. If if not, many gyms nowadays will let you "drop in" for 10$ or so. If I called ahead I could always find a gym with at least one squat rack.

If you are flying out on Monday morning, consider staying on the "feast" phase, just working out both days of the weekend each weekend around your trip, and then one day during the middle of the trip. You might find the couple of extra days off to work well, especially considering your sleep and diet probably won't be optimal.

Of course things are different if you have the kind of business trip where you are in a different hotel every night, that is a bigger challenge.
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

Read this first

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=730

1. Either shorten phases or find time to train while on business trip. If it's really a priority for you, you will find a way. At least I did.

2. see #1. Also consider bodyweight workouts like convict conditioning.

3. If they're well done, static contraction training will help strenghten your shoulders­. I would skip barbell shoulder presses though and substitute with angle barbell one arm presses or dumbbells shoulders presses with elbows in front not aside.

4. Depends on your somatype and goals. 100/70 is good for recomp, which is light muscle gains and fair fat loss.

5a. depends on your goals. If I had to choose only one supp, I would probably go with greens+vitamin D3 for overall health. No gain without health.
5b. This is what I do personaly on non-training days: 3 caps after fast/begin under-eat, 5 caps with main meal, 3 caps before bed.
5c. correct
5d. I don't because I turn carbs to fat. You could if you tolerate it.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Hi, thanks for your answers!

Either shorten phases or find time to train while on business trip. If it's really a priority for you, you will find a way. At least I did.
Well, I think you cannot generalize, that it is only a matter of priority. But anyways, the reason why I asked is, that Rob is very specifc about the phases and the workouts in the BP. I was and am not sure, if just substituting a heavy training as described in the BP 3.0 with a bodyweight training that I squeeze at some point in my day is a good solution or if it would be better to just end the feast phase and count the trip as first week of cruise phase OR squeezing the whole BP cycle into 6 weeks....

I think I'll try the first option.

Depends on your somatype and goals. 100/70 is good for recomp, which is light muscle gains and fair fat loss.
I am Endomorph. I am also a little but surprised. I thought the standard BP 3.0 is already about recomp

Would you go even lower than 100/70? e.g 100/60 ?

5d.
I don't because I turn carbs to fat. You could if you tolerate it.
That is good to know! I am also very efficient in turning carbs to fat :)

Thanks,
hugo
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

hugo wrote:Hi, thanks for your answers!

Either shorten phases or find time to train while on business trip. If it's really a priority for you, you will find a way. At least I did.
Well, I think you cannot generalize, that it is only a matter of priority. But anyways, the reason why I asked is, that Rob is very specifc about the phases and the workouts in the BP. I was and am not sure, if just substituting a heavy training as described in the BP 3.0 with a bodyweight training that I squeeze at some point in my day is a good solution or if it would be better to just end the feast phase and count the trip as first week of cruise phase OR squeezing the whole BP cycle into 6 weeks....

I think I'll try the first option.

Depends on your somatype and goals. 100/70 is good for recomp, which is light muscle gains and fair fat loss.
I am Endomorph. I am also a little but surprised. I thought the standard BP 3.0 is already about recomp

Would you go even lower than 100/70? e.g 100/60 ?

5d.
I don't because I turn carbs to fat. You could if you tolerate it.
That is good to know! I am also very efficient in turning carbs to fat :)

Thanks,
hugo
Yes, 3.0 is mainly for recomp. I don't count calories anymore because I use Warrior diet/intermittant fasting but I could average 90/60% for a week or two without feeling like crap or losing muscle. Less calories or longuer period probably won't be good though. I like 105/90 best year long (out of BP context)
wtmarcus

Re: BP Begginer Questions

Post by wtmarcus »

hugo wrote:Hi,
I am new to the Blueprint and pretty excited about it. After reading through the BP 2.0 and 3.0 I have a couple of questions. As there is no beginners forum, I hope it is ok to post all of them here.

1.) I rarely have around 10 straight weeks for a complete BP cycle due to business trips. More likely that I have 6 – 8 weeks. In most cases I will not have time to visit a gym during these trips. These trips typically last from Monday – Friday.

How should I structure my BP cycle in this case? Shorten feast phase? Shorten cruise phase? Skip cruise phase?

2.) This question is related to 2):
Sometimes I only know about a trip one week beforehand. What should I do, when I am in the middle of the feast or cruise phase?
If your trip hits in the middle of cruise then I'd say there is nothing to worry about.. Just do some good bodyweight workouts in your hotel room or whatever. Other than the often suggested 'Convict Conditioning' I'd recommend checking out Steve Maxwell's works on this, and/or maybe Steve Cotter's "Encyclopedia of bodyweight training". Maybe combining with kaatsu and suspension training this can give you one heck of a good workout and should be plenty of good for cruising.

Skip cruise phase? Don't do that. :)

Now if the surprise trip hits in the middle of feast ... Trip is monday-friday. How about this: Hit one feast WO on friday before trip and one on saturday after the trip. Leaves you one workout for wednesday or whatever and you could go either find a gym for a day or just use bodyweight training.