Rest periods for younger guys

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
sayaz

Rest periods for younger guys

Post by sayaz »

Rob's default rest periods tend to be 1 day on 2 days off.

Was this with older lifters in mind? Can younger guys get away with 1 on 1 off or mon/wed/fri, weekend off to begin with, then as the stresses increase you taper back?

I'm curious about others experiences as I have typically managed shorter periods for a few weeks before having to taper back to longer periods (typically 1 on 2 off) but am thinking it might be counter productive overall and rest is king.
matter2003

Re: Rest periods for younger guys

Post by matter2003 »

sayaz wrote:Rob's default rest periods tend to be 1 day on 2 days off.

Was this with older lifters in mind? Can younger guys get away with 1 on 1 off or mon/wed/fri, weekend off to begin with, then as the stresses increase you taper back?

I'm curious about others experiences as I have typically managed shorter periods for a few weeks before having to taper back to longer periods (typically 1 on 2 off) but am thinking it might be counter productive overall and rest is king.
I would recommend sticking with the longer rest periods...I have noticed when I lift only twice per week I literally feel unstoppable at the gym and the progress of weight I am lifting goes up a lot faster than when I am lifting more frequently.

The static holds really take a heavy toll on your body when you start putting up 500, 600 or 700 lbs plus, and even though you don't do anything but hold the weight, it exhausts a much greater percentage of your muscle fibers, not to mention CNS, than normal lifting does. That isn't to say you can't do other things no your days off.

My typical schedule is:

Sunday: Chest/Tri/Back BP routine(first workout of the week)

Monday: 20 mins HIIT in the mornings...60 seconds high intensity alternating with 30 seconds low intensity

Tuesday: 20 mins HIIT at night(same as above) before Quad/Hamstring/Abs BP routine
Wednesday: Quad/Hamstrings/Abs BP routine

Thursday & Friday: MRT workout in the morning---quick lightweight
circuits to help burn fat 30 mins

Saturday: Off

Have to admit tho, I had to abandon my MRT workout on Friday after the 10 rep squats/heavy DL's in workout 6 as my legs were completely wrecked...glutes, quads, inner thighs and hams were all extremely sore, and decided it was more important for me to rest
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

matter2003 wrote:

I would recommend sticking with the longer rest periods...I have noticed when I lift only twice per week I literally feel unstoppable at the gym and the progress of weight I am lifting goes up a lot faster than when I am lifting more frequently.

The static holds really take a heavy toll on your body when you start putting up 500, 600 or 700 lbs plus, and even though you don't do anything but hold the weight, it exhausts a much greater percentage of your muscle fibers, not to mention CNS, than normal lifting does. That isn't to say you can't do other things no your days off.

My typical schedule is:

Monday: 20 mins HIIT in the mornings...60 seconds high intensity alternating with 30 seconds low intensity

Tuesday: 20 mins HIIT at night(same as above) before Quad/Hamstring/Abs BP routine

Have to admit tho, I had to abandon my MRT workout on Friday after the 10 rep squats/heavy DL's in workout 6 as my legs were completely wrecked...glutes, quads, inner thighs and hams were all extremely sore, and decided it was more important for me to rest
Quad/hams/abs 2 days in a row?Why no bis?

I concur with the rest days.I dont usually go more then 3 and most of the time its more like 2 weight training sessions a week.I dont see how anyone can do more than 4 a week but its important to listen to your body.Recovery varies a lot depending on work done/CNS etc.If you are currently training more for strength then you definitely want big rest periods.
sayaz

Post by sayaz »

Thanks guys I got the answer i was looking for :D Will definitely stick to longer rests then. I'm very unfamiliar with how static holds will affect my body & recovery so I'll err on the side of caution.
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

DaCookie wrote:
matter2003 wrote:

My typical schedule is:

Quad/hams/abs 2 days in a row?Why no bis?

I concur with the rest days.I dont usually go more then 3 and most of the time its more like 2 weight training sessions a week.I dont see how anyone can do more than 4 a week but its important to listen to your body.Recovery varies a lot depending on work done/CNS etc.If you are currently training more for strength then you definitely want big rest periods.
No quads and hams only on Wednesday. I do 20 mins of HIIT cardio the night before Qaud and Ham day...otherwise I do it in the morning...