Rest Periods and Extra Work

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Mattlaw30

Rest Periods and Extra Work

Post by Mattlaw30 »

I have a hard time sitting around doing nothing when rest periods go above 2 minutes. I recently read about a couple of techniques that increase training efficiency one called is cardioacceleration and the other is called staggered training. Cardioacceleration is where you do a short burst of high intensity cardio during a rest period. For example during a 2 minute rest period I will skip rope for 30 to 60 seconds. So far this has worked really well and the added cardio has not affected the main upperbody lift that I am resting for. For something like squats and hamstrings I have noticed the added cario does eat into my ability to recover in between sets so instead cardioacceleration I will do staggered training by adding in some forearm, grip and neck work during those rest periods.

I wanted to share these techniques as they have worked well for me as my time to train is very limited and it is hard for me to fit in extra days to do cardio and forearm work. These techniques have allowed me to get that stuff in without increasing my training sessions or training frequency.
RobRegish

Re: Rest Periods and Extra Work

Post by RobRegish »

Mattlaw30 wrote:I have a hard time sitting around doing nothing when rest periods go above 2 minutes. I recently read about a couple of techniques that increase training efficiency one called is cardioacceleration and the other is called staggered training. Cardioacceleration is where you do a short burst of high intensity cardio during a rest period. For example during a 2 minute rest period I will skip rope for 30 to 60 seconds. So far this has worked really well and the added cardio has not affected the main upperbody lift that I am resting for. For something like squats and hamstrings I have noticed the added cario does eat into my ability to recover in between sets so instead cardioacceleration I will do staggered training by adding in some forearm, grip and neck work during those rest periods.

I wanted to share these techniques as they have worked well for me as my time to train is very limited and it is hard for me to fit in extra days to do cardio and forearm work. These techniques have allowed me to get that stuff in without increasing my training sessions or training frequency.
Creative solutions. However, for pure CNS/strength work you do need to rest - oftentimes 10min. or more! So what to do, if you're struggling with boredom, etc?

Simple.

Practice visualizing success. That is to say, visualize successfully performing the required reps with the called for weight that awaits you.

For what the mind can conceive, the body will achieve...
matter2003

Re: Rest Periods and Extra Work

Post by matter2003 »

RobRegish wrote:
Mattlaw30 wrote:I have a hard time sitting around doing nothing when rest periods go above 2 minutes. I recently read about a couple of techniques that increase training efficiency one called is cardioacceleration and the other is called staggered training. Cardioacceleration is where you do a short burst of high intensity cardio during a rest period. For example during a 2 minute rest period I will skip rope for 30 to 60 seconds. So far this has worked really well and the added cardio has not affected the main upperbody lift that I am resting for. For something like squats and hamstrings I have noticed the added cario does eat into my ability to recover in between sets so instead cardioacceleration I will do staggered training by adding in some forearm, grip and neck work during those rest periods.

Creative solutions. However, for pure CNS/strength work you do need to rest - oftentimes 10min. or more! So what to do, if you're struggling with boredom, etc?

Simple.

Practice visualizing success. That is to say, visualize successfully performing the required reps with the called for weight that awaits you.

My favorite thing to do while waiting is to get in staredowns with hot girls at the gym and force them to look away...then I will notice they start following me around everywhere I go or keep checking me out..I think its hilarious
tufluk

Post by tufluk »

Good advice, I read an article on ergo-log recently that showed people who visualised strength training between sets, and even as replacements for a work out all together increased there strength. Of course it doesn't compare in my eyes but helps none the less.

"Strength athletes who replace some of their workouts with sessions in which they imagine training with weights achieve almost the same progression as athletes who don't miss any training sessions."

check it out on ergo-logs site.