Load stretching on a PULL movement?

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
5.0stang

Load stretching on a PULL movement?

Post by 5.0stang »

I see references to doing big heavy load stretches on push exercises in the BP (leg press + bench press), but how do you load stretches on pull exercises? Would this not provide some quicker gains in those pull exercises?

Examples I wonder about:

Barbell Curl
Pulldowns
Rows
RobRegish

Re: Load stretching on a PULL movement?

Post by RobRegish »

5.0stang wrote:I see references to doing big heavy load stretches on push exercises in the BP (leg press + bench press), but how do you load stretches on pull exercises? Would this not provide some quicker gains in those pull exercises?

Examples I wonder about:

Barbell Curl
Pulldowns
Rows
All of these!

In particular, I favor the DB pullover, seated cable row and one arm DB (or BB, if your gym's DB's aren't heavy enough), rows...
5.0stang

Post by 5.0stang »

Cool, so for DB Rows for example, do we just hold the heavy weight at the bottom (before we pick it up towards our body) or do we hold it near our body (before we lower it)?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

5.0stang wrote:Cool, so for DB Rows for example, do we just hold the heavy weight at the bottom (before we pick it up towards our body) or do we hold it near our body (before we lower it)?
I actually elevate the end of the bench (slightly), and accentuate the stretch at the bottom. You don't want to over-exaggerate this, but you'll know it when you feel it.

A gentle "tug" will be felt at the bottom of each rep. On my very last rep of each set, I hold it in the stretch position for perhaps 3-5 seconds or however long I can stand it.

There's an art to it, and you'll find it. Just takes some practice... :)
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

What do you think of a deadhang? (Bottom position of a chinup/pullup). That would be a pretty good stretch. Add weight and it's loaded
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

beefcake66 wrote:What do you think of a deadhang? (Bottom position of a chinup/pullup). That would be a pretty good stretch. Add weight and it's loaded
I've done it, with chins. Hanged 205lbs plus heavy chain around my waist. Have to be careful but YES, one HELL of a stretch...