Fish Oil vs. Flax Seed Oil

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
5.0stang

Fish Oil vs. Flax Seed Oil

Post by 5.0stang »

Which one is better to use during a Blueprint run?

Depending on the answer, when do you take these supplements (through all 3 phases I am assuming)?

Any suggestions (looking for unrefined or cold processed fish/flax oil)?

I am assuming this is where our 15% dietary fat comes from, right?

Sorry for all of the questions - just looking to finalize my supplements/training regime.

Thanks!
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

I highly recommend the Ultimate Omega oil we stock.

Flax oil, Barleans included, is guaranteed to be rancid to some degree.

Raw flax seeds are a great staple food addition, but the oil is simply not practical in real life applications because once it heats to room temp, it turns rancid and the way it is shipped to stores is NOT refrigerated (hot warehouses and delivery trucks).

More on Ultimate Omega, from https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/health-fitness.html

ULTIMATE OMEGA: Gold Metal winning taste. One single teaspoon a day pays BIG dividens in so many ways. Revolutionary Freshness (up to 100 times fresher) and Purity unprecedented in the United States - Positively NO fishy taste! Ongoing clinical investigations are showing the vital importance of DHA and EPA Omega-3 fatty acids in health, fitness and disease. Patent process, Norwegian Medicinal Grade "Nordic Naturals" is the Ultimate Omega and has the highest levels of ANY competing product (1260mg total Omega-3 per teaspoon) with no synthetic vitamin A and D added (only naturally occuring A and D from the cod liver). It is doctor recommended, molecularly distilled, and third party tested to document the total absence of environmental pollutants. No PCBs, dioxins, pesticides or heavy metals. GMO and Hexane free. Flavored with a light orange essence that even kids love!

Each teaspoon provides: DHA: 625mg, EPA: 410mg, Other Omega-3s: 225mg, Oleic Acid (Omega-9): 600mg, Vitamin A: 650, 1500IU, Vitamin D: 120IU, Vitamin E (natural d-alpha tocopherol): 30 IU
omega fish oil Named American Culinary Institute Gold Metal Winner for best taste and #1 ranked fish oil brand out of the top 10 in Norway for highest concentration, freshness, and purity. This award is a great honor since fish oil products in Norway are closely monitored by the Norwegian Medicinal Standards - by far the most stringent in the world.

Big, 473ml super value size (96 servings, over a 3 month supply).
5.0stang

Post by 5.0stang »

I was looking at that product from musclemass - it looks promising!

So are they (flax and fish) interchangeable? That is, do people use them seperately - just a matter of preference?

I also would like a suggestion for dissecated liver tablets.
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

5.0stang wrote:I was looking at that product from musclemass - it looks promising!

So are they (flax and fish) interchangeable? That is, do people use them seperately - just a matter of preference?

I also would like a suggestion for dissecated liver tablets.
Flax supplies ALA, some of which converts into DHA(found in fish oil). Flax, especially flax seed, contains extremely high concentrations of lignans, up to 800 times more than the next closest source.

However, there is some concern about the high levels of phytoestrogens, which can mimic regular estrogen in the body. It is unclear how valid of a concern this is, but I have come across this quite a bit in my research regarding it. I have also read a few articles claiming flax seed reduces levels of testosterone as well, which would definitely not be beneficial towards gaining muscle...

I would do your own research and weight the pros and cons of both. Personally I have stopped taking it due to the concerns about the possible testosterone lowering capabilities, but you may very well come to a different conclusion reading the same information. Again, none of the studies are 100% clear on this issue, it is in fact more of a speculation based on its makeup and phytoestrogen content, which is actually much higher than soy...

Here is reference to the pertinent study:

Cancer
"Studies have shown flaxseed to inhibit the growth of human estrogen-dependent breast cancer. The lignans in flaxseed are phyto-oestrogens, plant chemicals that mimick the effects of oestrogen in the body by increasing the production of a compound known as sex hormone-binding globulin, or SHBG. This protein regulates estrogen levels by displacing excess oestrogen from cells in the body. It is believed that displacing oestrogen in this manner might help prevent those cancers that depend on oestrogen, such as breast cancer, from starting and developing.
One preliminary study also found that flaxseed oil, which contains no appreciable amounts of lignans, slowed the growth of malignant breast tumors.
There is evidence that ground flaxseed appears to be effective in preventing prostate cancer. In addition to the phytoestrogen effect, flaxseed lingnans bind to male hormone receptors and promote the elimination of testosterone. In a study conducted at the Duke University Medical Center and Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center involving men with prostate cancer, a low-fat diet (in which fat represented no more than 20 percent of total calories) supplemented with 30 grams of ground flaxseed reduced serum testosterone by 15%, slowed the growth rate of cancer cells, and increased the death rate of cancer cells after only thirty-four days."

-2 things stand out in that study to me:

1) It increases the production of SHBG---this is very bad in that this is what binds to testosterone in the bloodstream to prevent it from becoming an active form the body can utilize...we want to decrease this, not increase it for more free testosterone.

2) Flaxseed lignans bind to T receptors and promote the elimination of testosterone...DEFINITELY NOT a good thing for those lifting. Especially the 15% reduction in testosterone after 34 days...
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

In general, male athletes would heavily weight the fish oils over flax oil. But variety / spectrum is important. Even more important is individual tuning. For example, although studies may say flax messes with testosterone, it is really highly individualized. For some, it may have no effect at all. For others it may be actually beneficial to overall hormone balance – which is the long term is more important than short term hormone skews for highest performance.

For athletes:
Flax once or twice weekly (vs daily) in the afternoon with high sulfur aminos seems like a good balance. Consider substituting (or seasonally alternating ) high quality hemp oil, particularly if the flax isn’t clicking for you individually ( and thc marker testing isn’t an issue). I also do rice bran oil in the afternoon quite often on whey days in shakes...

Almost daily fish oil, in the evening, also with a small portion of protein. I get great results supplementing this with black currant seed oil the afternoon before. Also, don’t neglect occasional high quality cod liver oil and krill oils.

…and use only highest quality of any of these oils, btw.

regarding use in BP phases - consider highest usage in Feast, trailing off through Cruise (especially the veg based oils) to none in / through Famine. Tiny amounts of EVO and rice bran oil are the only oils I usually use in Famine...

hth and all the best.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

A LOT of great info here guys, GREAT posts!

Do consider this: As you age (particularly north of 30), the enzyme that converts the precursors in flax to EPA/DHA diminishes.

Therefore, best to go for the straight fish oil... :)

Hope that helps!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

RobRegish wrote:A LOT of great info here guys, GREAT posts!

Do consider this: As you age (particularly north of 30), the enzyme that converts the precursors in flax to EPA/DHA diminishes.

Therefore, best to go for the straight fish oil... :) On the dessicated liver, look into Beverly's. Top notch!

Hope that helps!
5.0stang

Post by 5.0stang »

Thanks for the great read guys!

I guess I am going to get some fish oil. So Ultimate Omega ='s Fish Oil?
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

5.0stang wrote:Thanks for the great read guys!

I guess I am going to get some fish oil. So Ultimate Omega ='s Fish Oil?
Yes.

It helps in so many other areas, too.
5.0stang

Post by 5.0stang »

This will be my next purchase. Thanks for all the help!
lehman

Post by lehman »

Well According to my information I Would like to Fish oil is much better because i have used it for blueprint running .
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

lehman wrote:Well According to my information I Would like to Fish oil is much better because i have used it for blueprint running .
lehman, please PM me your last name and the month you bought under at PayPal.

Doing this to protect your investment, I'm sure you understand...
5.0stang

Post by 5.0stang »

Well, I bought the UO from John @ bodybuildingsupplements.com. I wish I could tell you the positives from it alone, but I am taking other supplements. However, I can tell you that the quality appears to be top-notch and the orange taste isn't bad at all.
Gary

Post by Gary »

It is a very nice post and very good discussion. Fish oil is very useful for cancer and heart patients and it is rich in protein and a good source of energy.