New to BP, Introduction

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
westcoaster

New to BP, Introduction

Post by westcoaster »

Hey All.

I have read much of the BP 2 + 3, and have gone through many of the stickies etc.
I am going to start consolidating the info and creating my tailored BP plan.
I will likely post a log - I belong to several other BB forums but havent really ever done a complete log and feel its time to give this program 100%, follow the steps, and track the progress.

A bit about me:
41 years old, 190lb, 6'1', in decent shape and have worked out on and off for 20 years.
Goals: Muscle Mass. I have leaned out a bit and now its time to see if an old man can put on some muscle and retain it. Once I create a log I will have detailed goals etc.

One initial question:

The Paleo diet/ low-carb diets seem to be a good fit for me. I feel like a million bucks on them, they improve my cholesterol profile, increase energy etc etc. However, My initial readings on BP lead me to believe that it is based on a "standard" diet ratio of moderate carbs and protein, and lower fats.... like 45/35/20, where I am around 20/50/30 c/p/f or thereabouts.

I am especially concerned with protocols like the Formula etc with high glycemic carbs. Are there any BP'ers that have good success without leveraging the high glycemic carb loads?

I have a suspicion that many bodybuilders require Karbolyn and other high glycemic carbs because they have damaged insulin receptors. I wonder if low-carb trainers can somehow modify their carb intake intra workout to reflect the fact that they have sensitive insulin receptors and thus require waaay less carbs to achieve the same effect?
Sorry for rambling....
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

Kabolyn is a rapidly absorbed carbohydrate that fuels the muscles during a workout. Intra-workout drinks are really invaluable for allowing one to continue training hard and also supplying the muscle with nutrients at the most opportune time for them to be rapidly utilized. It helps to decrease muscle breakdown and speed up recovery time.

As far as the question regarding insulin, etc, I will defer that to Rob as he would be much more qualified to answer that than me...

I will tell you from experience that I will never lift without using "The Formula" again...its that good...
EctoBuilder

Post by EctoBuilder »

westcoaster. Best of luck in your run!
I haven't started mine yet, but I got you beat in age....I'll be 46 soon :).
RobRegish

Re: New to BP, Introduction

Post by RobRegish »

westcoaster wrote:Hey All.

I have read much of the BP 2 + 3, and have gone through many of the stickies etc.
I am going to start consolidating the info and creating my tailored BP plan.
I will likely post a log - I belong to several other BB forums but havent really ever done a complete log and feel its time to give this program 100%, follow the steps, and track the progress.

A bit about me:
41 years old, 190lb, 6'1', in decent shape and have worked out on and off for 20 years.
Goals: Muscle Mass. I have leaned out a bit and now its time to see if an old man can put on some muscle and retain it. Once I create a log I will have detailed goals etc.

One initial question:

The Paleo diet/ low-carb diets seem to be a good fit for me. I feel like a million bucks on them, they improve my cholesterol profile, increase energy etc etc. However, My initial readings on BP lead me to believe that it is based on a "standard" diet ratio of moderate carbs and protein, and lower fats.... like 45/35/20, where I am around 20/50/30 c/p/f or thereabouts.

I am especially concerned with protocols like the Formula etc with high glycemic carbs. Are there any BP'ers that have good success without leveraging the high glycemic carb loads?

I have a suspicion that many bodybuilders require Karbolyn and other high glycemic carbs because they have damaged insulin receptors. I wonder if low-carb trainers can somehow modify their carb intake intra workout to reflect the fact that they have sensitive insulin receptors and thus require waaay less carbs to achieve the same effect?
Sorry for rambling....
All welcome, Westcoaster!!!

Yours truly is 41 as well, has ecto leaning tendencies and oxidizes fats well, which means I too, do well on a low carb diet....*

*IF I re-feed with carbs!!!

It goes like this: If I eliminate carbs entirely, I flatten out like a pancake, my strength drops like a rock and.... depression sets in :)

Now, what to do? The first thing I noticed was that carbs from fruits and vegetables don't "show" on me like breads, pastas etc.. That was a start. The next thing I did was make liberal use of GABA/BCAA's throughout the day (while I'm fasting, on the Warrior Diet). That made a BIG difference!

The REAL trick, is to concentrate carb intake IN and AROUND the workout, LARGELY in the form of high molecular weight amylopectins!

These can take the form of anything from Vitargo, to Pure Karbolyn (sweet spot, insofar as cost/benefit ratio), all the way down to Waxy Maize.

The only issue with Waxy Maize is that you'll never know quite what length, the starch is cut to. They can be as short as 3 glucose molecules or as long as cornstarch. In fact, most of the Waxy Maize being sold today is just that - PURE CORNSTARCH.

Sooooo.. you WILL get an insulin surge in and around your workout. You want to KEEP this insulin surge going up to TWO hours after your workout. For it's during this time the muscle cells are like a sponge, soaking up the amylyopectins/carbs in your diet and storing them as glycogen in your muscles!

After that?

Simply return to your low carb/Paleo eating. It'll take some experimentation on the total amount/type of carbs, but you WILL find it. Try taking in 150-200g during that time window, the specified amount in the form of amylyopectins in The Formula, and from sweet potatoes/small amount of pineapple juice at your solid food meal, 1 hour post workout.

You'll get there, and we'll be here to help... :)
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Thanks for all of the welcomes.
I am going to give the Formula a shot, but the whole area of glycogen stores, and consuming carbs and protein intra/post workout seems to be poorly understood.
I believe Dr. Connely was one of the expert panelists on a BodyRX podcast that focused solely on protein and muscle synthesis. All of the experts agreed that there were a few "broscience" macronutrient theories common with bodybuilders that were false. One was the concept that there was a 30 minute window post workout to replenish energy stores and protein for maximum muscle growth. At the end of the day it was the total caloric input that mattered most, not the timing nor the consumption of carbs intra or post workout.
Perhaps I misunderstood that podcast but I think there is some merit in questioning the current protocol and understanding (an approach I know Rob would advocate given how the blueprint came into being).

That said, given how everyone raves about the Formula, I think I have to give it a shot. That way I will know for sure as sometimes real life and theory dont play well. I trust the feedback I have received from the knowledgeable people on this board. Look for my log to start in a week or so...
:)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

westcoaster wrote:Thanks for all of the welcomes.
I am going to give the Formula a shot, but the whole area of glycogen stores, and consuming carbs and protein intra/post workout seems to be poorly understood.
I believe Dr. Connely was one of the expert panelists on a BodyRX podcast that focused solely on protein and muscle synthesis. All of the experts agreed that there were a few "broscience" macronutrient theories common with bodybuilders that were false. One was the concept that there was a 30 minute window post workout to replenish energy stores and protein for maximum muscle growth. At the end of the day it was the total caloric input that mattered most, not the timing nor the consumption of carbs intra or post workout.
Perhaps I misunderstood that podcast but I think there is some merit in questioning the current protocol and understanding (an approach I know Rob would advocate given how the blueprint came into being).

That said, given how everyone raves about the Formula, I think I have to give it a shot. That way I will know for sure as sometimes real life and theory dont play well. I trust the feedback I have received from the knowledgeable people on this board. Look for my log to start in a week or so...
:)
Ah yes, the good Dr. and I disagree here - friendly like, of course... :)

You interpreted him correctly. The issue I have, is that I've NEVER been able to pull adequate post workout recovery off (without carbs), except with his original Progenex Recovery product!

NEVER!

So yes, he can do it. How the hell he does is though (which peptide sequence is responsible in the whey), is a mystery to me (and the rest of the world)!

Thus, The Formula... :)
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

RobRegish wrote: Ah yes, the good Dr. and I disagree here - friendly like, of course... :)

You interpreted him correctly. The issue I have, is that I've NEVER been able to pull adequate post workout recovery off (without carbs), except with his original Progenex Recovery product!

NEVER!

So yes, he can do it. How the hell he does is though (which peptide sequence is responsible in the whey), is a mystery to me (and the rest of the world)!

Thus, The Formula... :)
I am staunchly standing with Rob on this one...IMHO, there is NO WAY I would have done what I did especially late in the workouts without The Formula...there also are numerous studies that are on the side of Rob on this one as well, as far as providing nutrients during workouts for greater muscle response...
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

I have no doubt that the Formula works.
My question is: how to incorporate if you follow a low carb diet?
Obviously my body is much more sensitive to carbs - a small amount of carbs would elicit an insulin response similar to a larger amount of carbs to someone on a typical diet.
So perhaps I can tweak the formula a bit to account for that. Or I may follow the original protocol exactly and deal with the insulin fallout so to speak.
I appreciate everyone's feedback.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

westcoaster wrote:I have no doubt that the Formula works.
My question is: how to incorporate if you follow a low carb diet?
Obviously my body is much more sensitive to carbs - a small amount of carbs would elicit an insulin response similar to a larger amount of carbs to someone on a typical diet.
So perhaps I can tweak the formula a bit to account for that. Or I may follow the original protocol exactly and deal with the insulin fallout so to speak.
I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Thanks again, for the backup on The Formula!

It does in fact, impart quite a difference for virtually everyone that uses it. MUCH time and effort, went into testing it with the glucometer. I REALLY feel for diabetics. Sticking yourself in the finger every few hours, the novelty wears off quickly...

MY $0.02: Try The Formula as originally prescribed. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised... :)