Pulled muscle...badly

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
oliverparsons

Pulled muscle...badly

Post by oliverparsons »

Hey guys, so I pulled a muscle in my lower back last Wednesday and it hurts like hell. I'm always really good with my form, but was doing deadlifts and lowered the weight to the floor awkwardly, which put a ton of stress on my lower back. Havent been able to sit or move with comfort, hope it's a pulled muscle and nothing more serious.

It's been a week and there is no way I could have gone to gym, and I'll probably be out of action for another week cus of the pain. My next workout is supposed to be my third bench workout for GLP1. If i am able to hit the gym next week, that will mean I will have been off for two weeks, so do I need to start over from the beginning at famine. Should I still be eating heavy to make sure i don't lose the muscle I gained? and just jump back into where I left off? Any tips where to go from here would be appreciated...

Thanks!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Sorry hear that OP. A few suggestions...

First, please don't assume it's a pulled muscle. Much more likely a subluxation of the vertabrae. I too, though I pulled a muscle in my back. In fact, the vertabrae rotated slightly, impinging a nerve running to the muscle. The body then "protects" itself by the muscle spasming or continuously contracting. What I'm saying is... see a chiropractor.

I can't say it enough, these guys work magic. Find the right one and go to one regularly. Worth every penny IMO.

Now insofar as continuing... depends how bad it is. If it's as bad as it sounds, I would dis-continue. Do NOT be disheartened. This is a new beginning, not the end.

Second, look into the following:

Whether or not you have back problems, this is a lift worth looking into. It takes a few sessions to get used to but you can finally open the throttle with very little risk of injury and really reap the benefits of this fantastic routine.

There are two quality hip belts available for sale: The IronMind Hip Belt and the Spud Belt available here:

IRONMIND HIP BELT
https://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... umber=1220

SPUD SQUAT BELT
https://www.flexcart.com/members/eliteft ... D&pid=1595

If you do order either one, I highly suggest getting the Ironmind loading pin, which can be found here and makes loading/unloading a snap:

15" LOADING PIN

https://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... ber=1314-C
I personally use the Ironmind belt and loading pin and have had over 500lbs on there with no problems. The carryover to your barbell squat is almost pound for pound too. Solid investment and can also be used for weighted chins, dips, sled dragging etc.. Very versatile.

Now DON'T let this get you down. Like I said, this is a new beginning, not the end. Your back will heal... but they can never break your spirit.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Some ideas to facilitate active recovery between workouts:

1.) GPP such as sled dragging
2.) Push a weighted wheelbarrow up a slight incline
3.) Medicine ball throws
4.) Some HIIT cardio
5.) Treat yourself to a massage
6.) Get a chiropractic adjustment
7.) Daily hot/cold showes. Alternate 1 minute of each for 10 minutes.
8.) Cryotherapy on sore muscles: Take a dixie cup, fill it with water and place in the freezer. Have you GF/wife or mistress (ideally all 3) apply to said muscles, peeling the cup as the ice melts.

You can add Cayenne Pepper to this when you freeze it, but unclear as to if that's legal in your state. Since I'm not up on these things, you can cite cite Rob's recommendation and ignorance of the law. That'll work in every state*

Any of the above is going to GREATLY benefit you.
Hope this helps!

*Excludes states with vowels in their names
oliverparsons

Post by oliverparsons »

Thanks Rob, much appreciated. I'm on vacation for the next week so a hurt back is a good excuse to take things easy. Would a good chiropractor be able to tell if my vertabrae rotated slightly, or would I most likley need an MRI?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I'll take a chiro over an MRI any day of the week. Xrays and a thermalscan (ask for this) will tell you/him.

A good chiro can tell just by observing/feeling you. The best I ever saw never even used Xrays. He was old school man. Put me on the table, pressed each vertabrae with his fingers, zeroed in on it and knew right there what it was.

Two adjustments later the pain was GONE. That was my introduction to chiropractic. If that fails you (doubt it will), go get an MRI. I can tell you though, most MD's will prescribe pain meds, bed rest blah blah blah.

Bullshit.

Just my $0.02 but I've been where you are man. Hoping it helps..
oliverparsons

Post by oliverparsons »

Hey Rob, just wanted to quickly check back in here. In my original post, I mentioned I had likely pulled a muscle 2 weeks ago (on Dec 15) doing deadlifts. I have taken two weeks off from the gym, back is starting to feel much better and I was back in the gym yesterday lifting around 80% effort without pain. I probably wont be able to go 100% for another week or so.

When all this mess happened, I was on my third chest workout of GLP1 (so my 10th feast workout). Assuming I will have taken a 3 week break, you mentioned it would make sense to start Blueprint from the beginning.

So now I'm going to restart at famine, but since I already determined my max bench during my first BP run (before I hurt my back) can I skip the first 5 feast workouts and instead go right into GLP1? I wasn't a huge fan of taking 2 or 3 days between workouts during the first 5 feast workouts anyway (only because I mentally get cabin fever if I don't go to the gym every other day)!

Thanks very much!
oliverparsons

Post by oliverparsons »

Hey Rob - just wanted to check back in regarding my post last week, if you have a quick second. Your advice is always appreciated. Thanks!!
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

My suggestion is to toss him a PM. He'll feel bad for missing your question but he does have quite the workload on here.

I'd personally say that, like famine, the 3 day break is a necessary evil. I'd think of it as draining a battery so you can supercharge it. So I'd stay with the 5 first workouts.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Ah man, I did miss it. Sorry man..

Your answer: Re-test your 1RM (i.e. workout #5) again on each lift to be absolutely sure you're back to where you were. Provided you are, pick it back up from there!!
oliverparsons wrote:Hey Rob, just wanted to quickly check back in here. In my original post, I mentioned I had likely pulled a muscle 2 weeks ago (on Dec 15) doing deadlifts. I have taken two weeks off from the gym, back is starting to feel much better and I was back in the gym yesterday lifting around 80% effort without pain. I probably wont be able to go 100% for another week or so.

When all this mess happened, I was on my third chest workout of GLP1 (so my 10th feast workout). Assuming I will have taken a 3 week break, you mentioned it would make sense to start Blueprint from the beginning.

So now I'm going to restart at famine, but since I already determined my max bench during my first BP run (before I hurt my back) can I skip the first 5 feast workouts and instead go right into GLP1? I wasn't a huge fan of taking 2 or 3 days between workouts during the first 5 feast workouts anyway (only because I mentally get cabin fever if I don't go to the gym every other day)!

Thanks very much!
oliverparsons

Post by oliverparsons »

Awesome, thanks Rob. And dont apologize, hope you had a great holiday!!
So I tested my 1RM this week and I'm back at where I started. Just so im clear here - I am jumping into famine on Monday (for 5 days), then taking 3 days off to stuff my face, then going right into GLP1 (since I already know my max from before). However, after GLP1 I will still have some time left in my 6 week feast "window" so would it be ok to jump into something like 5x5 or GLP2 for the remaining time? Then i'll finish up with cruise. Does that sound ok?

Thanks a bunch Rob!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Just so im clear here - I am jumping into famine on Monday (for 5 days), then taking 3 days off to stuff my face, then going right into GLP1 (since I already know my max from before). However, after GLP1 I will still have some time left in my 6 week feast "window" so would it be ok to jump into something like 5x5 or GLP2 for the remaining time? Then i'll finish up with cruise. Does that sound ok?

A. Nope. Since your 1RM has been established as "untouched/the same" I'd like you to take 3 full days off, rest and eat up. THEN begin the loading pattern again (GLP 1).

Once that's complete, I'll show you what to do. A little reverse engineering trick I learned long ago when something similar happened :)
oliverparsons

Post by oliverparsons »

Awesome, thanks Rob. I thought famine was a necessary "alarm signal" that i would have to go through again, but I'm happy to skip it and do your reverse engineering trick after GLP1 :)

I loved the BP Mass Stack for my last BP run, this time i'm trying the BET Stack. I'll rest up for the next few days and jump into GLP1 on Monday or Tuesday along with my supplement stack.

Thanks again!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Looking forward to your feedback!!