Justin's 2nd BP RUN

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
Justin

Post by Justin »

okay so today I decided I'm going to do some more cardio/abs! I'll let you guys know how it goes
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, keep us up to date. I have a few vacation days coming up. Will be around more frequently :)
Justin

Post by Justin »

awesome :) today's cardio was great! i personally prefer doing a lot of higher intensity exersices like lunges squats pullups but light weight and no rest for cardio it seems liek tis more effective!! if this is wrong please let me know !

thanks
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You don't want cardio with weights. Even though it's "light" there is still an eccentric (or lowering) component that will cause muscle damage.

Rather, consider HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training on a stationary bike, rowing machine or sprinting/jogging etc.. Here's an example on the stationary bike:

After a brief warmup..

60 seconds at a moderate pace
SPRINT hard for 10-15 seconds
60 seconds at a moderate pace
SPRINT hard for 10-15 seconds

Rinse, wash and repeat. Begin with just 5-7 minutes of such work and build up to 20-30. No more than 30 and I personally keep it to 20. Doing this in a fasted state is even more beneficial. You'll burn the same # of calories yes BUT a higher percentage of those calories will come from stored bodyfat as glucose will be low from not eating overnight.

Give that a whirl. I think you'll find it most helpful. Plus, you'll get great stares from people right next to you doing traditional low intensity, long duration steady state cardio. These people wind up looking like joggers. You'll wind up built like a powerful, jacked up sprinter.

Big difference.
Justin

Post by Justin »

haha DOWNNN! I'm goin to start doing that twice a week now! I was just wondering how long should a cardio session last?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I like to build up to 20 min of HIIT work. No more that that for me.

On the LISS stuff, I go 30 min. Some go up to an hour. Whatever you feel delivers the fat burning/VO2 max goods - WITHOUT burning muscle.

That is the key....
Justin

Post by Justin »

I was very dispointed today I was warming up to start my GLP for dead lifts and even without weight i felt a little pull at the top of the movement! I tried the lighter sets of GLP with not much success because of this pain and decided to not continue as their was a risk of injury.. :(
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You did the RIGHT thing.

Rest up, evaluate over the next few days and CONTINUE PLAYING OFFENSE on all other lifts. Do see a chiro as they are best in these situations. All is not lost. These things happen, but PR's await elsewhere.

Hit them!
Justin

Post by Justin »

YEEE Bench is going to keep rising ;) i got a feeling I'm hitting 2 reps tomorrow Can't wait!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Veeery nice.

Visualize those reps in your mind. Not for 2 but for 3 or more! Where the mind goes the body will follow...
Justin

Post by Justin »

So today was one of my last upper body GLP was great I hit 250 *2 pretty clean!! and i realized something during the rest of workout and thats that decline is a SIKKK exercise, I felt my chest being engaged like crazy! :D
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Very nice!

Is this a new PR? If so, I like to see "PR" next to it :) Please denote if so. Either way, you sound happy. If you're happy, I'm happy..
Justin

Post by Justin »

Hey Rob I have a few questionsss this morning. They just popped in my head!
For breakfast is it best to have fast absorbing carbs however not fructose? I read somewhere that its best to get insulin levels back up after a long sleep.
Me and my friend were talking about DOMS and he says that he never feels them in his arms however its his easiest muscle to grow and when he trains chest he's sore for days however his chest just wont grow? is this just a coincidence could doms be a sign of overtraining that muscle?? I've never thought of it like that before but me and him noticed similar things so we were wondering
Another thing was in the gym a few months ago i over heard a trainer speaking with another and one was talking about fasting once a week for 1 whole day of only water! is this benificial? during the cruise i was thinking about doing it!
Thanks

Justin :D
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Quote:

For breakfast is it best to have fast absorbing carbs however not fructose? I read somewhere that its best to get insulin levels back up after a long sleep.

A. Yes but if you're talking fructose I'm hoping you mean fruit :) If so, best to have as a snack with a protein shake in between meals. Too much fructose on top of other carbs (particularly other simple carbs) = fat. So, best away from meals in the form of fruit + protein.

Quote:

Me and my friend were talking about DOMS and he says that he never feels them in his arms however its his easiest muscle to grow and when he trains chest he's sore for days however his chest just wont grow? is this just a coincidence could doms be a sign of overtraining that muscle?? I've never thought of it like that before but me and him noticed similar things so we were wondering

A. Overload causes muscle growth, nothing more - nothing less. If he wants to be sore suggest switching movements or reversing his strength curve on the movement say... cable pullovers vs. DB. I think you'll find I'm right...

Quote:
Another thing was in the gym a few months ago i over heard a trainer speaking with another and one was talking about fasting once a week for 1 whole day of only water! is this benificial? during the cruise i was thinking about doing it!

A. Intermittent fasting can be used successfully and there is much to be gained. Many ways to go about it so do experiment. Cruise or outside of BP would be the time. Feast definately is NOT the time :)

Read up on the Warrior Diet. Fabulous tool, especially for endo/mesomorphs!