Shoulder Rehab

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

The one change I'd like you to make involves Monday's workout.

Ideally, I'd like you to change to completely different movements... preserving only the type. Meaning replace a compound movement with another compound movement, isolation for isolation etc.

Failing that, reverse the order in which you perform them. Sled work should be GRADUALLY increased (weight).

What I'm looking for in particular is a list of movements that feel painful. From most painful to least.

Will help me solve for the next phase
PushingTheLimit

Post by PushingTheLimit »

Well honestly the only movements that cause pain are press movements(and i havent done many at a heavy enough weight to see if they still hurt) and occasionally when I reach my arm behind my back. There are the occasional awkward moves that cause a painful pinch as well. Besides that I am relatively pain free.

If this helps while trying to perform a bent over side lateral during sled training a sharp pain is felt right at the AC Joint.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK, so anything outside of the arc. Wide grips are out then, perhaps even medium grip work for the time being.

Suggest on pressing movements you perform in a closer grip fashion. We'll move that out over time...
PushingTheLimit

So what movements do you have in mind for the change in movements?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

First, begin the Monday session with declines, not inclines. Use dumbells or barbells, whichever you DIDN'T use the first time around.

Next would be inclines, same prescription for dumbell/barbell movements. You'll want to change the incline angle somewhat. Anything north/south of 5 degrees is enough.

Finally, I'd like you to experiment with a movement called the Cuban press:

Barbell Cuban Press:

Grab a barbell and perform a medium-grip upright row until the bar is about at your nips. Once the bar reaches this level, hold the elbows steady while externally rotating the bar upward (as if you were trying to touch your forehead). Once to your forehead, press the bar overhead.

Repeat for reps. This isn't a big weight exercise. The external rotation to the forehead is a weight limiter but it will help tremendously in strenthening the shoulder through a wide range of movement planes.
PushingTheLimit

Alright. I will perform those movements today. Cuban press sounds interesting. I will update you later as to how my workout went.
PushingTheLimit

Update...

All X-rays show that the actually separation has healed. The pain I have been feeling is inflammation of the tendons holding the joint in place. Unfortunately I have a small bone spur formation as well as degeneration of the collar bone. I will be taking an anti inflammatory for a couple weeks and should be notice a significant change.

As for now I am all cleared to lift and with only one exception. I cant do movements that use my shoulder above a 90 degree angle. That eliminates movements such as incline press and shoulder press. Besides that I am cleared.

So good news is that I am cleared to lift. Bad news is that it is a future possibility that I will have shoulder problems if the bone spur increases in size or the degeneration continues. But I will handle that when or if it comes. So another week or two of rehab and I am ready to jump on a quality lifting program designed by you (with the one restriction described above) to reach my goals. I am very happy about that.

Ok on to todays workout. With the good news from the doctor I was feeling good and it definately showed in the gym. Started off with squats and I was pumped! Did the loading pattern as described and even went for a new squat max. Pushed out 325lbs for 1 quality rep and another rep where I didnt quite get down to 90 degrees. Went on to hit calves very hard. Then performed the press movements. DB bench felt good with no pain. Decline DB press felt even better. Did relatively light weight on both but dumbbells feel much better than the straight bar. Hit arms with DB curls and DB kick backs. Then did some abs. Very quality workout.

All in all a very positive day.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Super news!

So happy for you. And nice work on the squats!
PushingTheLimit

Thanks. I think I need atleast 2 more weeks of taking it easy. As I speak now my shoulder is kind of tender. I will continue with rehab for the remainder of this week and see how I feel then. Even when I begin lifting again I want to ease into it but still provide myself a challenge. I also dont want to give up sled training. That is by far the best training tool I have used.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah, once I get people dragging....they never stop.
PushingTheLimit

Haha its a great tool. I think I built mine so it will last a long tiime too
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

There is pride in building your own stuff. That goes for everything from muscles to sleds etc..

Great ambition/ingenuity. Any comments from the neighbors yet? :)
PushingTheLimit

Everytime I go up to the football field and drag it people look at me like I am crazy. I get a lot of questions about why i am doing it and things of that nature.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Tell them you're sweeping for mines.

I tell the kids that (schoolbus at the top of my street) and they tell their parents. Everyone stays FAR away from me when I walk my dog...