Shoulder Rehab

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Understand.

Keep at it!
PushingTheLimit

Post by PushingTheLimit »

I messed around with a foam roll today. Tried using it on my shoulder but couldnt hit the right spot. Will begin seeing a chiropractor soon when I gather the funds.

Tomorrow is another lifting day. Any advice on static holds? Did I perform the arm portion of the workout correctly on monday?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You did arms correctly but only rested 30 sec between sets. Suggest you rest a bit longer. At least 1-2 minutes..

On the static holds, go slow and observe your limits. You should find you can hold an incredible amount of weight in the strongest range. Either that or it will cause a lot of pain. It may take some experimentation to find the right spot wherein you hold the weight.

The upside here is once you find that spot, we can employ the use of heavy weights to keep your CNS in reasonable shape. There is clearly a point in the full range of motion that causes you pain when going heavy.

What we're looking for is the point in that range that causes no pain....
PushingTheLimit

alright so I should go light at first to find that range? when I find it then should I increase the weight or remain light?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

First, find your range that doesn't hurt with lighter weights.

Second, graduate the poundage in your desired range. You'll know when you've hit your limit when A.) It hurts or B.) you can't hold it for the desired time period.

In either case, simply reduce weight until A and B are gone. If you do experience pain, it will likely come once the bar starts moving downward, so pick your spotters carefully. Ideally, perform inside a power rack with chains.

Not everyone has that luxury though..
PushingTheLimit

Alright...i just went safe and did reasonbly light weight...shoulder is definately a little sore after performing todays workout.

Arms and legs went great. Considerably increased weight on arms. went form 40-70lbs for both exercises. Got all the reps in with solid form.

Legs were tough. That german loading pattern is tough. Legs were still sore from monday. Got all my reps in at desired weight. Legs are exhausted right now.

How do you go about working calves? That is a muscle I am having trouble bringing out. I want the diamond calves or whatever they are called. Its odd but just a muscle i really want to bring out and define. How do you suggest working them to get results?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

That's good to hear and week 1 is almost in the books! You were smart to play it safe on the static holds. On the squats, don't be afraid to insert an extra rest day where you need to. I want you going in there feeling fresh and fully recovered...

Now, on calves. Thought I was cursed with genetically "high" calves and struggled with them for years. The one thing I had going for me was small ankle joints, which provide some illusion of size/sweep when the upper calf is finally built. You may be similarly blessed. I thought this was a curse but I found out real fast how beneficial it was when I punctured my achilles tendon. Thing swelled up at the base over an inch and looked like a glazed ham. I was actually elated b/c I had finally put some size on them.... until I saw the pictures. Cankles aren't cool, especially when you've got only one. It did however, offer an interesting perspective in the pics vs. my normal calf.

The other thing that motivated me was a guy at work. His name is Keith and he overheard me bitching one day about it. He said "I wish I had your problem". Keith was born without any arms or legs. He has only stumps for arms and gets around by dragging himself in his wheelchair with a prosthetic leg. He also drives himself to work every day and is among the first to be there and the last to leave. Types on his keyboard with a pencil in his mouth.

I've got to tell you I tried everything. From standing/seating calf raises to the leg sled to jump soles, I ran the gamut. I ran in those jump soles once so much (first time as I was desparate) I couldn't walk for 2 days. And I'm not kidding. I took a day off of work b/c walking wasn't an option.

I honestly believe that the combination of seated, static holds with maximum weight plus wind sprints works best. That, coupled with increasing your overall LBM/total weight will get them bigger.

I feel that calves in particular need extreme overload, the kind static holds deliver. 2 sets of holds for 5-10 seconds gets it done. Finish each set with a slow negative and hold the stretch as long as you can at the bottom. You can do this more frequently than other bodyparts, although I found that just three times a week to start was PLENTY. Your strength will increase so quickly that frequency goes to once or twice a week mighty fast. That workout, coupled with max sprints overloaded them nicely.

Beyond this, another thing that will help is working up to heavier dragging weights with the sled. That adds workload/tonnage while facilitating recovery (not taking away) as it does for the other bodyparts. You'll also get some "knock on" work via the squat and dimel deadlift.

Finally, ever increasing bodyweight lends itself to hypertrophy because the calves are forced to carry around/support more weight. After several years of this, I noted results. It wasn't until I saw a picture though, that it registered. I was walking with my son in the park one day and my wife snapped a picture from behind and low and behold..... a calf muscle appeared.

I'll see if John can post a picture here. FAR from world class but I've got to tell you.... from where I started (pipe cleaners), I was pleasantly surprised.

Give this a shot and let us know how it works!
PushingTheLimit

I saw that pic on your bodyspace and thats why I asked. You have crazy calves.

I am lucky now that I thing about it that I do have the small ankles. I have decent sized calves and they are strong as hell but they look just like a rounded mass of muscle. When I flex not much changes.

I will try what you have described and see how that works. I have noticed the sled work really hitting my calves on different drags. I will also begin doing plyometrics next week as well. I am pretty sure that combined with what you said my calves will begin to get some definition.

As for todays workout I repeated tuesdays sled workout. I woke up and my shoulder was feeling pretty sore so I went for less drags. Following that I did medium to heavy sled drags for legs in hope it can alleviate some soreness and also help with speed and acceleration. All in all a great workout that was really taxing.

I am having too much fun with this sled. The looks I get when I bring that thing to the football field are priceless. That thing is one of the best training tools I have used. I feel in better shape than I have in awhile. Every workout after using it I feel great. I have a feeling I will be using that sled for a long time to come.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Here ya' go-

askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

I'll chime in on calves too...

I was also born with "pipe cleaners" and used to kill myself with extremely heavy weight calf raises, etc.

I'd get them cut, but never gained all that much substantial size.

A gym friend told me to run hard sprints for them and I found that it did indeed impart more size.

Along that line I can see where the sled would give similar and no doubt better (best of both worlds) results.

For me, however, once I got into cycling so hardcore I found that after a couple of years I wound up with (for me and my once pipe cleaners) almost amazing size and cuts.

You've got to shock the calves. It's a tough, stringy muscle density you are dealing with... flat out "lock them up" intensity is the key no matter if it is of a short or long duration, IMO.
PushingTheLimit

I dont really have small calves. I have decent size calve but they arent defined what so ever. Just look like a round mass. I will really try to shock them and get them defined.
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

askmass wrote:I'll chime in on calves too...

For me, however, once I got into cycling so hardcore I found that after a couple of years I wound up with (for me and my once pipe cleaners) almost amazing size and cuts.
Cyclist have killer calves. Never made a whole lot of sense in the comparison to a runner. Sprinters-big____Distance runners-Thin tight muscles.
I always keep that in mind when training calves. I too tore my achillies in half and have had to wo each calf seperately. Finally getting them balanced better, big calves rock. There was a fiftey year old german waitress in Colorado that had the biggest calves ever. Craziest calves ever let alone on a woman.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

How did you tear your achilles Draco?

I can only imagine how bad that hurt. I only punctured mine and it was brutal..
PushingTheLimit

So the first week is done..Any changes for this next week or should I stay to the same program?