The_buffer's BP #1

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I wouldn't run any kind of hardcore cut.

Recall the goal of cruise: Establish a new (higher) state of homeostasis. Just don't want to jeopardize all that nice new LBM/strength you worked so hard for :)
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

Good call. I was really thinking about that and obviously the cruise is important or it wouldn't be there. It's not too long anyway.
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

It was the last workout day for the feast phase today, it was GLP for chest. My 1RM did not really change on bench press from last week, but again I followed it up with Dumbbell presses and was able to do two full reps more, so my strength does appear to be continuing to increase. One more day on feast then onto the cruise.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

First, nice work on increasing the DB presses.

I'd like to know more about why the 1RM didn't increase on BP though. Did you perhaps not rest an extra day or feel the need to? Or, how long did you rest between sets prior to maximing/warmup strategy used.

I am NOT implying this was your fault. Not in the least. Just trying to troubleshoot for you such that next time we can ensure both your 1RM and EDT increase simultaneously.

I learn from these things. We all do. Like life, we sometimes make mistakes (including me). I just want to learn from them such that I can do better for YOU next time around...

Take care, and looking forward to seeing what Feast brings. Many have been pleasantly surprised :)
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

My Bench press did improve but very slightly... I was able to perform an extra half rep, but I didn't figure that into my calculator.

As for the DB presses, First I should mention (I think you know this) that for my first 5 workouts I did them according to the pdf and not the sticky. the first two workouts my squats improved but my bench press didn't, then I decided to add on one set of DB presses to failure and that made all the difference in the world; at that point my Bench 1RM began increasing.

Of course on the stickies you suggest adding an incline DB press (if I remember right) as part of an EDT block after bench press, and my guess is it performs a similar function.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Ah, big clue there. Note that for future reference those DB presses to failure made all the diff in the world.

Like anything (life itself), we learn from our successes and mistakes. You're now VERY well armed with powerful info for your next BP run.

Let me know if you have any questions setting it up. I think you'll hit all the cylinders next time :)
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

Day 51: Monday was leg day, yesterday was cardio, and today I do the pushing muscles (Chest/Shoulders/triceps).
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK Buffer.

Awesome job. Great progress over this run. We'll team up to make sure run #2 is even better :)
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

Week 1 of cruise is finished, I’m up 1 more lean pound bringing my total gains to: 7lbs lean, 2 lbs fat over the past 7 weeks (including the famine).
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Oh soooo nice, isn't it?

A common occurance, believe it or not!
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

It is nice!

even though 7 lbs in 7 weeks might not seem like a huge number, for me it is! I am really impressed with my gains on the blueprint, especially when you consider that I have not put on much fat at all.

The best part is that I feel better equipped to make even better gains on my next run.

It's also a really great feeling to be warming up with the amount of weight that I used to use for work sets... especially when there is a hot chick working out near by. :)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Hey that's great!

It's not all about you remember, offer to spot her on exercises and share what you've learned :)
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

Yesterday I did my final workout for cruise. I’m feeling good about moving into a cut now before starting another Blueprint run in the new year.

I still have a couple days left to get my final weigh-ins, but as far as 1RMs:

Bench Press is up 31 lbs
Squats are up 39 lbs
Deadlifts are up 25 lbs
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Hell yes, one hell of a run.

I can do better for you next time around though to build upon these.. and I will :)