Ryan's second run featuring "super squats"

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

That's great!

Some drag for time, some for distance. I say drag until your property value drops at least 10%
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Super Squats workout was this morning.

Breathing Squats
135x20

Light Pullovers
20x20

Bent Over Rows
155x12, 2 sets

Bench Press
180x12

I set my baseline on squats, I will add 5 to 10 lbs per session. The bar was really digging into my shoulders and my lower back started aching after the 15th rep but all the pain was alleviated soon as I racked the weight. I'm going to sub weighted dips and weighted chins in there and see what kind of carry over there is to my bench and rows. So far so good.
LHockey

Post by LHockey »

looks like your run is coming along nicely! the supersquats routine does look brutal.

just wondering, did you do EDT blocks during the 5 day HIT training?
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

I didn't do any EDT blocks during HIT. I was completely wiped after putting every ounce of energy into those barbell lifts.
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Super Squats #2 was this morning

Squat
145x20

Light Pullovers
25x20

Weighted Pull ups
Body weight + 10 lbs x 7, 2 sets

Weighted Dips
Body weight + 25 x 12
Body weight + 25 x 11

Man those squats are HARD! It's like a freaking marathon.

I got to use my new Ironmind dip belt today. It's very comfortable and easy to use.

I did some sled work yesterday for GPP. It's actually pretty fun if you ask me.
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

Hey man,

I tried the supersquats program about 10 years ago, I remember it being a chore not to pass out... of course I probably wasn't breathing properly.

have you read the SS book? There is a cool part where he talks about how you should be feeling on each set which I found to be pretty accurate.
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

the_buffer wrote:Hey man,

I tried the supersquats program about 10 years ago, I remember it being a chore not to pass out... of course I probably wasn't breathing properly.

have you read the SS book? There is a cool part where he talks about how you should be feeling on each set which I found to be pretty accurate.
If you forget to exhale on the way back up you'll probably pass right out. It's always in the back of my head.

In the book I remember reading something like, "After the squats and pullovers are done, you might puke, pass out, or be incapable of walking up a flight of stairs." I found this to be quite accurate.

What type of results did you get from the program?
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Super Squats workout #3

Squats
150x20 (didn't quite go parallel on the last 4 reps)

Light Pullovers
20x20

Weighted Dips
BW+25 x 12, 2 sets

Weighted Chins
BW+10 x 8, 2 sets (that's one more rep on each set than my last workout)

Squats were exceptionally brutal today. Like I stated above I didn't reach parallel on the last few reps. I'm considering cutting the frequency of my squats to two days a week instead of three. I was strong on my dips and pull ups though.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

nice work on the squats man! I HATE sets of more than 5 on squats, let alone 20 :shock:
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Fantastic work!

And SMART move on cutting frequency down. You will be rewarded...
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

RyannayR wrote: If you forget to exhale on the way back up you'll probably pass right out. It's always in the back of my head.

In the book I remember reading something like, "After the squats and pullovers are done, you might puke, pass out, or be incapable of walking up a flight of stairs." I found this to be quite accurate.

What type of results did you get from the program?
I don't think I did it for too long. I was accepted into a local fitness challenge around the same time... I know I didn't gain 30 lbs in 6 weeks though :)
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Super Squats #4

Squats
155x20

Light Pullovers
20x20

Weighted Dips
BW + 25 x 13, 2 sets PR

Weighted Pullups
BW + 10 x 9
BW + 10 x 7 (should have rested another minute or two in between sets)

I killed my squats today. I hit the required 20 reps with ease compared to previous workouts. How to account for this? Two days rest? GPP over the weekend? Extra carbs I ate with breakfast? Or just a plain old strength gain. Either way I'm satisfied. Now I'm going to wait till Friday to squat again. I'll do some sled work Tues and Wednesday, then rest my legs Thursday.

I'm going to bump the weight up on my dips for next workout. I also have to make a mental note to rest longer before attempting my final set of weighted pullups.
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

Right on, man! I've found I'm the same, an extra day of rest often times makes all the difference.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Ah the extra rest day...

People don't recognize the power... until they insert them :) Glad it's working so well for you!!