Whey..

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Myofusion is garbage man stay clear of that stuff.

I also stay clear of all their supplements.Retarded advertising, spiking supps and mislabeling supps.You cant get much worse than that except for maybe using child labour to make your products.

With Myofusion your effectively consuming a gone off and unhealthy product.Here is a post on a different forum, if you want, remove the links.

Let's focus on the lipid part of the formula.

1. Sunflower oil powder
If not explicitely stated otherwise (e.g. "high-oleic sunflower oil") it has to be assumed that we are dealing with linoleic-dominated type of sunflower oil.

According to Wikipedia, Sunflower oil typically contains between appr. 50% and 80% linoleic acid.

Linoleic acid (LA) is an unsaturated omega-6 fatty acid (18:2(n-6)).
Linoleic acid (LA) is a polyunsaturated fatty acid used in the biosynthesis of arachidonic acid (AA) and thus some prostaglandins. It is found in the lipids of cell membranes. It is abundant in many vegetable oils, comprising over half (by weight) of poppy seed, safflower, sunflower, and corn oils.[3]

The first step in the metabolism of Linoleic Acid (LA) is performed by Δ-6-desaturase, which converts LA into gamma-Linolenic acid (GLA).

There is evidence suggesting that infants lack Δ-6-desaturase of their own, and must acquire it through breast milk. Studies show that breast-milk fed babies have higher concentrations of GLA than formula-fed babies, while formula-fed babies have elevated concentrations of LA.[6]

GLA is converted to Dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid (DGLA), which in turn is converted to Arachidonic acid (AA). One of the possible fates of AA is to be transformed into a group of metabolites called eicosanoids, a class of paracrine hormones. The three types of eicosanoids are prostaglandins, thromboxanes, and leukotrienes. Eicosanoids are only produced from AA and tend to be pro-inflammatory.[7] For example, both Thrombaxane and LeukotrieneB4 are proaggretory and vasoconstrictive eicosanoids. Another important clinical effect is that the oxidized metabolic products of linolenic acid such as 9--hydroxyoctadecanoic acid and 13-hydroxyoctadecanoic acid have also been shown to activate TRPV1, the capsaicin receptor and through this might play a major role in hyperalgesia and allodynia.[8]

The typical western diet is already more than rich in omega 6 fatty acids and arachidonic acid (meats, typical oils and fat sources). Adding a source rich in linoleic acid to a protein is therefore of very questionable reason.

2. CLA
"According to a meta-study by Dutch nutritionists, CLAs are just as bad for your heart and blood vessels as the dreaded synthetic trans fatty acids that the food industry has been using for years in cookies, margarines and junk foods. CLA’s popularity as a nutritional supplement is on the wane." (https://www.ergo-log.com/clatransfattyacids.html)

According to clinical trials and meta-analyses, the fat-loss properties from CLA are small, therefore, the question arises what in all world may drive someone to put trans-fatty acids with very questionable health effects into a protein product. Because it sounds fancy?

3. Flax seed oil powder
Now comes my favourite: flax seed oil powder.

Here is some info you will LOVE to hear:

"In fact, flax seed oil is easily oxidized, and rapidly becomes rancid with an unpleasant odor unless refrigerated. Even when kept under cool conditions it has a shelf life of only a few weeks.[13][14] Oil with an unpleasant or rancid odour should be discarded. Rancid oils contribute to the formation of free radicals and may be carcinogenic.[15][16][17] Oxidation of flax seed oil is major commercial concern, and antioxidants may be added to prevent rancidification.[18]" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax_oil)

4. Microencapsulation
Microencapsulation is used in order to reduce exposure to air/oxygen/light and to slow down polymerization and oxidation of fatty acids and triglycerides.
Unfortunately, in this particular product, only the CLA got microencapsulated while the extremely oxidation-prone linolieic and alpha-linoleic acids have not been encapsulated, according to the label (and believe me, labels never forget to mention the "good" parts of the formula)

So, the entire lipd part of this protein formula is just a huge fail. the lipids and oil powders have only been used to improve taste (the "smooth-texture" experience that any fat provides to any foods) and to look fancy (CLA). However, the composition is highly problematic, mainly choosing fat sources, some of which provide suboptimal fatty acid composition (pro-inflammatory and generally unreasonable, given the overload of omega-6 FA in normal diet) and some of which are extremely susceptible to oxidation and to getting rancid within shortest time (weeks). Why have just these super-oxidizable fatty acids NOT been encapsulated, according to the label?

Well,the total dose of these lipids is small (3g per serving), but people who are taking several protein shakes per day (and many body builders are doing that), may certainly want to know that they are most likely ingesting rancid, pro-inflammatory fats every day. As small as the impact might be from it, it is nonetheless a negative impact. And I ask myself whether it is advisable to spend money on a product that has been that poorly designed and that may even have some negative effects on my health.

That's what you get when "good bro laymen" formulate products.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Quite interesting indeed. Good find.
zip

Post by zip »

In regards the sunflower oil, Optimum Nutrition whey, Xtreme foundations, dymatize, bsn etc. all use sunflower oil as an ingredient in their fat content in their whey.

"Diets combined with a low fat content and high levels of oleic acid have been suggested to lower cholesterol which, in turn, results in a smaller risk of heart disease.[5] Sunflower oils fit this criteria. Studies of adults suggested that a balanced diet in which small quantities of saturated fats are replaced with sunflower oil has detectable cholesterol-reducing benefits. Research suggests that lower cholesterol levels can be caused by balances of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids. Sunflower oil may help with this balance.[6]"
(https://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/1998/980611.htm + https://www.health.am/cholesterol/more/b ... olesterol/)

Does the western diet really have enough omega 6 fa? Keep in mind that this is created for the bodybuilder (who eats clean) and not the average joe who MAY eat an abundance of processed foods.

2. CLA

"Milk and meat fats contain natural trans fatty acids, such as CLAs."

Should this be limited because it contains it?

"This was the only controlled dietary study on CLA, but it used a much higher dose of CLA, namely approximately 20 grams/day as opposed to doses between 1.8 and 6.8 grams/day in the CLA supplement studies. "
(https://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi ... ne.0009434)

^^ is where the article pulled its information from. Too much of anything will provide harmful effects on the body. Isn't 20 gram overkill and forcing an obscure result to be found?

"Conjugated linoleic acid reduces body fat in healthy exercising humans."
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11725826)

This study only used the amount of 0.6 grams three times a day.. so 1.8 grams of CLA and found that "CLA reduces body fat but not body weight in healthy exercising humans of normal body weight."

Flaxseed oil POWDER

Flaxseed oil powder does not oxidized like oil because of the stated that it is in. Thus prolonging the shelf life. Also it is stored in an airtight container that seals oxygen out and prevents degrading of the contained elements?

Unless you store your protein open to the elements and take 8months+ to finish a bottle of protein, then I think you have bigger problems that your powder turning "rancid"

Btw I am, in no means trying to fight your opinion. I am merely trying to form an educated debate on this topic.

I respect you and your opinion.

Cheers!
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

zip wrote:In regards the sunflower oil, Optimum Nutrition whey, Xtreme foundations, dymatize, bsn etc. all use sunflower oil as an ingredient in their fat content in their whey.

"Diets combined with a low fat content and high levels of oleic acid have been suggested to lower cholesterol which, in turn, results in a smaller risk of heart disease.[5] Sunflower oils fit this criteria. Studies of adults suggested that a balanced diet in which small quantities of saturated fats are replaced with sunflower oil has detectable cholesterol-reducing benefits. Research suggests that lower cholesterol levels can be caused by balances of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids. Sunflower oil may help with this balance.[6]"
(https://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/1998/980611.htm + https://www.health.am/cholesterol/more/b ... olesterol/)

Does the western diet really have enough omega 6 fa? Keep in mind that this is created for the bodybuilder (who eats clean) and not the average joe who MAY eat an abundance of processed foods.

Im pretty sure most meats have a huge amount of omega 6 fas in em.But yeh im not 100% sure.

2. CLA

"Milk and meat fats contain natural trans fatty acids, such as CLAs."

Should this be limited because it contains it?

"This was the only controlled dietary study on CLA, but it used a much higher dose of CLA, namely approximately 20 grams/day as opposed to doses between 1.8 and 6.8 grams/day in the CLA supplement studies. "
(https://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi ... ne.0009434)

^^ is where the article pulled its information from. Too much of anything will provide harmful effects on the body. Isn't 20 gram overkill and forcing an obscure result to be found?

"Conjugated linoleic acid reduces body fat in healthy exercising humans."
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11725826)

This study only used the amount of 0.6 grams three times a day.. so 1.8 grams of CLA and found that "CLA reduces body fat but not body weight in healthy exercising humans of normal body weight."

Flaxseed oil POWDER

Flaxseed oil powder does not oxidized like oil because of the stated that it is in. Thus prolonging the shelf life. Also it is stored in an airtight container that seals oxygen out and prevents degrading of the contained elements?

Unless you store your protein open to the elements and take 8months+ to finish a bottle of protein, then I think you have bigger problems that your powder turning "rancid"

I dont get how making something a powder makes it magically not degrade as fast, or are you saying something is added?

Btw I am, in no means trying to fight your opinion. I am merely trying to form an educated debate on this topic.

I respect you and your opinion.

Cheers!
zip

Post by zip »

Omega 6 intake I guess is highly individualized. Good dietary sources of omega-6 fatty acids can be found in cereals, eggs, poultry, whole-grain breads, and some vegetable and seed oils.

So it depends on personal intake.

As far as powder making it degrade slower. Moisture is a necessary condition for bacteria to multiply. By removing moisture you are removing a condition necessary for bacterial growth and therefore products last longer.

Take milk for example. Normal milk only lasts a couple of weeks and then turns sour. Then take dry or powdered milk, by removing the moisture it is able to stay fresh and usable for 6+ months.

Whey is also a byproduct of milk.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great discussion/insight here... Productive thread!
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

zip wrote:Omega 6 intake I guess is highly individualized. Good dietary sources of omega-6 fatty acids can be found in cereals, eggs, poultry, whole-grain breads, and some vegetable and seed oils.

So it depends on personal intake.

As far as powder making it degrade slower. Moisture is a necessary condition for bacteria to multiply. By removing moisture you are removing a condition necessary for bacterial growth and therefore products last longer.

Take milk for example. Normal milk only lasts a couple of weeks and then turns sour. Then take dry or powdered milk, by removing the moisture it is able to stay fresh and usable for 6+ months.

Whey is also a byproduct of milk.
Alright whatever works for you man.But just look at their advertising/bogus studies.For example there saying that by taking one dose of superpump they added 2.5x times more LBM to their arms.Bunch of bull man.

They also have mislabeled products and put things in them that shouldnt have been there.
zip

Post by zip »

I agree that some advertising is far fetched but most company's do that in order to pull their audience.

Some studies may be bogus.. but there are 3rd party studies which back up their claims.

https://www.jissn.com/content/5/S1/P17
^^ Is one for example.
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

You can get those exact same results just taking creatine mono and caffeine-what superpump 250 is, overpriced version of effective ingredients and then advertised like something revolutionary.

https://www.ergo-log.com/orastanatest.html
zip

Post by zip »

I'm not denying that fact but if were comparing pre workouts.. they are all the same. All companies stretch the facts in order to make their product look better. I am in no way saying that Gaspari are saints or that i'm a fan boy but they are no worse or better than the next company. The only product I've used is myofusion.

The supplement industry is filled with hype... thats just the nature of it.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

SO tempted to comment on this thread, and I would say things that both back and contradict several posters... but, I'm not going to.

Someone once told me that our company was not typical of the bodybuilding supplements industry, and that made me sport a beaming prideful smile.
zip

Post by zip »

Haha Sorry Askmass... I didn't meant to stereotype ALL supplement companies.

There are a couple out there that are honest and up front with their products as we can see in this forum. :P
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Many valid comments in this thread. MANY...

Claiming what SuperPump does is just absolutely ridiculous. Which is what gets a certain market segment's attention... They're called one time buyers and the major supp companies catering to this crowd know it. The problem is that there's a new crop of gullable 15 year olds every year. Literally every year.

Now you HAVE to have some sizzle with your steak. That much is clear. It's when you see more sizzle than steak that you see the TRUTH..

Avoid these companies at all costs. They don't deserve your dollars.
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Yeh I think we all fell for at least one product thats marketed mainly towards one time buyers.Mine was BSN CellMass, the creatine product which said it had the new really advanced creatine ethyl ester but guess what it didnt even contain that back then I think lol

After that almost all my supp buys have been decent.