Shoulder Rehab

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
PushingTheLimit

Post by PushingTheLimit »

Its mostly sore in a good way. I think I might have slightly strained it. Overall I am feeling good. Just have to get back in the groove of lifting
PushingTheLimit

Alright so I am about to start the 10% solution tomorrow. Do you want me to continue the same thing I have been doing for hamstrings? I have been doing RDLs after my squats. I have hit a sticking point with strength increases on those
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You have two choices here.. either change the rep sequence or change the exercise.

Suggest rotating 20, 15 and 10 reps each workout. Can't recall if I suggested that prior. If I did, suggest switching to 12, 8's and 6's...

The other alternative is to switch the movement. If you have a reverse hyper, hit that for similar rep range. If you don't (most don't), suggest stiff legged deads from a platform.

The other alternative is Dimel Dead. Suggest 2 sets of 20 reps, done in the following fashion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5NZs97ehGU

High rep variation that lends itself well to buiding the hams. Hope that helps!
PushingTheLimit

Thanks, I have been doing the 20, 15, 10 cycle. I will experiment with your suggestions. Just thought it might be tiime to switch it up
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I think you're right on :)
PushingTheLimit

Alright so workout went great. Shoulder feels fine 24 hours later which is a huge plus. I have even begun practicing baseball again and throwing is not aggravating it. I have been invited to a college try out next month and have decided to go for it. Got any sport specific exercises to help me get back into baseball shape by June 15th?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Wow that's fantastic! Congratulations!!

Unfortunately, I don't. I left baseball so long ago.... Wish I did. I don't really see things changing much for you though. If you think about it, baseball really embraced weight training and the records followed. Sure, BALCO played a part but c'mon....there's no comparison between a weight training athlete and non-weight training athlete.

I would be shocked if the college team didn't have a strength trainer. Absolutely shocked..

So glad to hear you're feeling better man. What great news.. :)
PushingTheLimit

They have their own lifting program I would use if I made the team. I thought I was done with baseball but I just cant stay away. I have figured out I need something to compete in. I am competitive person. I have even been considering training for a triathlon. But since the opportunity to play baseball again has presented itself I am going to take advantage of it. Just have to get back into the swing of things. No pun intended.
PushingTheLimit

Alright so I had delay lifting last week due to college finals. I had a great workout yesterday. Chest is nice and sore and my shoulder feels ok.

Question: With the 10% solution I know you lift 3 times a week. Do I also do the other exercises you listed 3 times a week?

Also if cable pullovers feel better than DB pullovers should I limit myself to just doing them? I have found those dont cause any strain on my shoulder.

I have an MRI Tuesday to figure out what is still going on with my shoulder so that should give me insight into how I am going to proceed with this injury.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Alright so I had delay lifting last week due to college finals. I had a great workout yesterday. Chest is nice and sore and my shoulder feels ok.

A. GREAT!

Question: With the 10% solution I know you lift 3 times a week. Do I also do the other exercises you listed 3 times a week?

A. Yes, but do take care to limit them to ensure full recovery. The 3 workouts/week is NOT set in stone... so feel free to experiment.

Also if cable pullovers feel better than DB pullovers should I limit myself to just doing them? I have found those dont cause any strain on my shoulder.

A. Sure. Experiment with different angles, etc.. We found one that doesn't hurt. That's great!
PushingTheLimit

Alright thanks. Correction to the post above. My MRI is thursday. I hope it comes back negative to what the doctor thinks it is. Lingering injury like this generally means there is a more severe underlying problem. I will just have to see. Until then I will still work on improving every day.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Thanks for the update. I'm sure it'll be fine.

If not, right here for you.. :)
PushingTheLimit

MRI results came back and revealed I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder as well as a large cyst formation in the area of the joint. I have surgery scheduled for this friday and will be out from most physical activity for a minimum of 2 months. Probably going to be 4+ months till I can lift again. Not the news I wanted to hear but I am glad I finally know the underlying cause to all this shoulder pain. I want it fixed as quickly as possible so I can get back to 100%.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK man at least now we know. Right here for you when you get back!