Ryan's second run featuring "super squats"

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Feels good to eat steak again, doesn't it :)

Great work man... keep it up!
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Feast workout # 2

Bench Press
195x7(needed help on the last rep)
Pullover(no it's a cardigan but thanks for noticing!)
95x6

Squat
165x6
SLDL
195x6

Short workout but physically draining nonetheless. I decided to switch up my BCCAA loading protocol because I was much sorer than expected after my last workout. I added 32g to my prei-workout drink.
32g Mass Amino
25g Mass Protein
50g Monster Maize

Weight was back up to 185.5 this morning. I'm hoping to watch it increase steadily.
Billton

Post by Billton »

RobRegish wrote:Great going and can't wait for run #2!

Now do take care to start with something manageable on the squats. Strossen advises using your 10RM for 20 out of the gate. Try to refine this into something realistic and build it!

This very routine put 16+lbs on GymRat53, so you may want to check in with him.

Right here for you if you need me!
\

I haven't read the book, but I'm confused. How do you do your 10RM for 20 reps? Is this later on is the program, or rest/pause, or somehow forced reps? Sorry for a seemingly dumb question about something I haven't read.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Ahh... a VERY good question.

Strossen first recommended taking your 10RM and doing 20 reps. He's essentiall saying here "you don't normally train hard enough". I know my BP Believers though... you train plenty hard.

Suggest starting then, with a weight you can comfortably get 20 reps with. Something say, you would come up 2-3 reps short of failure with. You can also reverse engineer this with a calculator:

https://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Also the pauses in between each rep to take deep breaths helps you crank out a few extra.
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Feast workout #3

Bench Press
205x4
Pullover
105x2(this was crazy heavy)

Squat
175x3(concentrating on going really deep)
SLDL
205x4

Going okay so far. I haven't lost any strength but I haven't gained much either. I'm going to up my calories and see what kind of effect that has.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Suggest upping calories from carbs first, other macros second.

You should be gaining traction shortly. I would be surprised if it didn't manifest in workout #5 but GLP will take care of that if it doesn't..
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

RobRegish wrote:Suggest upping calories from carbs first, other macros second.

You should be gaining traction shortly. I would be surprised if it didn't manifest in workout #5 but GLP will take care of that if it doesn't..
Rob,

I completed GLP I and II over the summer. On this run I was planning on running the abbreviated super squats routine that would look something like this:

Bench Press, 12 reps 2 sets. (alternating with) Weighted Dips, 12 reps 2 sets.
Squats, 20 reps 1 set
Pullovers 20 reps 1 set
Bent over rows, 15 reps 2 sets (alternating with) Weighted Pull ups

That was the original plan that I formulated. However, I'm open to your suggestions to whether I should follow that plan or maybe throw The Russian Strength Generator routine in there in place of my 2 set bench program. My max day on the 5 day HIT program is tentatively scheduled for Friday the 15th, so I have a few days to figure this out.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I rather like that SS routine you have sketched out. Give that a go!

If and when you flatline, we'll re-evaluate to see if the 10% solution is an option, etc.

SS.... ah, the memories.
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Feast workout # 4

Traction finally!

Bench Press
185x10 PR

Pollover
90x6

Squat
155x12 PR

SLDL
195x10 PR

Reached a PR on three out of the four lifts I performed today. I was feeling determined and amped up this morning in the gym. All I needed was a little Rammstein on the Ipod and I started pumping out PRs. I'm quite pleased with this and I hope to do more of the same on Friday. :)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

RAINING PR's

Nice work man :)
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Feast workout #5

More PR's today!

Bench Press
215x4 PR!

Pullover
85x5 (someone was using the 90's)

Squat
195x3 PR!

SLDL
225x6 PR!

I tallied up all my lifts and discovered some very pleasing results. I'm using the NSCA link from the blueprint to calculate 1rm. My new max bench press is 240lbs, my previous was 230lbs. That's a ten pound increase just from the 5 day HIT! I squated 195 for 3 reps today compared to 175 for 3 reps in workout #3. That's a 20lbs increase in just two workouts!:) Also, I continued to set PR's on my SLDL from workout to workout. Couldn't be happier with these results right now.

I'm starting my Super Squats routine on Monday where I'm sure to experience even more PR's and I'll keep everyone posted.

In other news, I built my own dragging sled. I used a tire I picked up from my mechanic, a piece of plywood, and a length of chain I had cut at the hardware store. I'm waiting on my Ironmind dip belt to arrive in the mail so I can put it all together. The whole sled, not including the Dip belt, cost me about 10 bucks. Any suggestions on what type of routine to follow? I'm thinking of doing some forward and backward pulling on my off-days during super squats.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PM me on the sled work.

RAINING PR's this early is fantastic! So happy for you man. You lifted me up on a down day.

THANK YOU!
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Completed my first sled dragging session today. I never got so gassed so fast in my life. My quads where burning and I was sucking wind big time. I plan on doing about two sessions a week to increase my work capacity. Should have seen the looks on peoples faces when they saw me out there.