Test your zinc levels, you might be deficient....easy to do

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
JGS2012

Post by JGS2012 »

I believe i am deficient in Zinc. I keep meaning to purchase a good ZMA product to run for a while. I will say this though, Even if you are low, be cautious of over takeing zinc, too much for too long as in excess it can be as dangerous as iron for oxidation.

On that note I done a weeks food diary recently and tallied up everything for each meal, calories fat and protein etc to all minerals and vitamins. DAMN i was shocked! My calories work out, on average to be very low! and I was seriously short of all but three micro nutrients! My iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, vitamin E and D, were very very low. Now I have taken my eye off my diet for a while now but thought i ate OK!

I would suggest its worth putting the effort in for a week and see what you find.
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

JGS2012 wrote:I believe i am deficient in Zinc. I keep meaning to purchase a good ZMA product to run for a while. I will say this though, Even if you are low, be cautious of over takeing zinc, too much for too long as in excess it can be as dangerous as iron for oxidation.

On that note I done a weeks food diary recently and tallied up everything for each meal, calories fat and protein etc to all minerals and vitamins. DAMN i was shocked! My calories work out, on average to be very low! and I was seriously short of all but three micro nutrients! My iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, vitamin E and D, were very very low. Now I have taken my eye off my diet for a while now but thought i ate OK!

I would suggest its worth putting th
e effort in for a week and see what you find.
The dangers in overdosing zinc are pretty low in actuality. German bodybuilders routinely take 150-200 mg daily to act as an anti-aromatase for long stretches with no ill effects. Also, many people have a very high phytic acid level in their diet which leeches these minerals out of the body.

With the number of people zinc deficient, I would be more worried about lack of zinc than zinc overdose...
JGS2012

Post by JGS2012 »

matter2003 wrote:
JGS2012 wrote:I believe i am deficient in Zinc. I keep meaning to purchase a good ZMA product to run for a while. I will say this though, Even if you are low, be cautious of over takeing zinc, too much for too long as in excess it can be as dangerous as iron for oxidation.

I would suggest its worth putting th
e effort in for a week and see what you find.
The dangers in overdosing zinc are pretty low in actuality. German bodybuilders routinely take 150-200 mg daily to act as an anti-aromatase for long stretches with no ill effects. Also, many people have a very high phytic acid level in their diet which leeches these minerals out of the body.

With the number of people zinc deficient, I would be more worried about lack of zinc than zinc overdose...
I agree that most people, especially people that train hard are zinc deficient so supplementation is worth while but I would not consume 200mg of zinc just because German body-builders do it. Oxidative damages from high levels of zinc in the blood may take many years to become apparent, it doesn't mean damage isn't being done to cells now.(just like low levels cause oxidative damage) Zinc, like iron can be highly reactive. Also you have to think about levels of copper and other minerals when dosing high levels of zinc or any one nutrient. Ask Carl lanore about dosing one nutrient at high levels for too long!

I will be looking for a good zma product though as I just don't eat eany wehre near enough of the foods containing good amounts of zinc