Absolute MUST Read: "Convict Conditioning"

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RyannayR

Post by RyannayR »

Can anyone do the uneven squats yet? I'm having a hard time with this one. I'm going for level 7 on the Pullups and abs tomorrow.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

RyannayR wrote:Can anyone do the uneven squats yet? I'm having a hard time with this one. I'm going for level 7 on the Pullups and abs tomorrow.
Haven't gotten that far yet. Great going on the pullups!

I'm LOVING this training... :)
mikej26

Post by mikej26 »

I actually started this around thanksgiving prior to having seen any mention of it here. My brother had told me about a book called " You are your own gym" which follows a similar theme. When looking into getting that book I came across convict conditioning.

I've been following this program exclusively since the beginning of Dec and I love it. I used to perform workouts similar to these about ten years ago (was trying to attain a high strength to weight ratio for high performance surfing) and to be honest, I've never felt or looked better than I did when I was doing them.

This program has been a very welcomed change of pace for me since I was completely over the crowded gyms around here. I live in burbank CA which puts me smack in the middle of the over crowded Hollywood gym scene :evil:

I'm currently ranging from levels 6-10 on the range of exercises. The bridges being my nemesis of the six movements. To my surprise the squats are the first move I've taken to level 10. If any of you gets to the point of doing one armed handstand push ups my hats off. That's superhero level strength.

Since I've been exclusively doing this program I have no idea if it has had a positive effect on my lifts in the gym, but I'd be very surprised if it hasn't.

Ps. There is now a convict conditioning 2 out if anyone is interested.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

mikej26 wrote:I actually started this around thanksgiving prior to having seen any mention of it here. My brother had told me about a book called " You are your own gym" which follows a similar theme. When looking into getting that book I came across convict conditioning.

I've been following this program exclusively since the beginning of Dec and I love it. I used to perform workouts similar to these about ten years ago (was trying to attain a high strength to weight ratio for high performance surfing) and to be honest, I've never felt or looked better than I did when I was doing them.

This program has been a very welcomed change of pace for me since I was completely over the crowded gyms around here. I live in burbank CA which puts me smack in the middle of the over crowded Hollywood gym scene :evil:

I'm currently ranging from levels 6-10 on the range of exercises. The bridges being my nemesis of the six movements. To my surprise the squats are the first move I've taken to level 10. If any of you gets to the point of doing one armed handstand push ups my hats off. That's superhero level strength.

Since I've been exclusively doing this program I have no idea if it has had a positive effect on my lifts in the gym, but I'd be very surprised if it hasn't.

Ps. There is now a convict conditioning 2 out if anyone is interested.
Congratulations man, on making it to the master step on squats! Possible to post a video, such that people here can see what you're talking about? If not, they're on youtube... :)

It's quite natural to find some of these movements more difficult than others. However, making strong what was weak is the whole point: You for sure will be one strong SOB once you reach ANY of these master steps!!!
Jacos5

Post by Jacos5 »

-So am I attempting each movement in one day? Or am I only doing one a day?

-And let's say I make it up to the 3rd level the first day I try one of the movement, am I just gonna go straight to that 3rd level the next time I attempt it, or do I start from the bottom up all over again?

Yep, I just skimmed through everything. I've been really busy and this book is extreeeemly long. And I'm reading another book that takes up most of my free time :p so hoping you'd be able to help me out Rob. Would love to add this to my current run.
mikej26

Post by mikej26 »

Jacos5 wrote:-So am I attempting each movement in one day? Or am I only doing one a day?

-And let's say I make it up to the 3rd level the first day I try one of the movement, am I just gonna go straight to that 3rd level the next time I attempt it, or do I start from the bottom up all over again?

Yep, I just skimmed through everything. I've been really busy and this book is extreeeemly long. And I'm reading another book that takes up most of my free time :p so hoping you'd be able to help me out Rob. Would love to add this to my current run.

In the book there are different workout schedules listed depending on how many days you want to incorporate the program into. The main point is to hit all of the movements within a week. Since I'm using this program exclusively at the moment, I'm doing two movements per day over a six day spread. This has me hitting my whole body twice per week.

Treat your first day with each movement as an assessment day. If you find that you're able to go to say, level three on a move, you should focus your attention on that level until you progress to the next. Progression still applies here, you just move to a hard version of the movement rather than adding weight to the bar. Listed in the book are some guidelines so that you know when to progress to the next level. The variants that are below your current level in any movement are good choices for a few easy warm-up sets to get the targeted muscles primed.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Jacos5 wrote:-So am I attempting each movement in one day? Or am I only doing one a day?

First, thanks to Mikej26 for the assist. Nice work... :)

The book offers various training frequency schedules. If you're using this to supplement your weights (as I am), I highly recommend the 3/day week "Good Behavior" variation. Each workout is quick, is a great warmup/cooldown and provides for the necessary "off" days to grow larger/stronger.

How fast you jump from one level to the next is admittedly, intuitive. Let me offer some perspective though: I've been training the better part of my life, and I'm making sure I perform each step from the beginner level. Take that for what it's worth, but he made a point in the book about not rushing your training that resonated with me.

Patience is a lost art in the iron game, as it is in other facets of life today. Disciplining yourself in the nuances of every movement, is something I've come to appreciate about our little sub-culture...

Long way of saying I recommend taking it slow, even if it looks easy... :)
RobRegish

Re: Get it cheaper at Amazon

Post by RobRegish »

d.elliston wrote:Amazon.com has ebook for $18. I just bought it and Or I Hofmelker's new book for $10.
FAVOR please, of you or anyone else who has the ebook - can you please contact me via PM, email at Kcilflexim@aol.com?

I'd like to get the ebook (and will gladly pay you for it). I'm working on something to get this info. to a broader audience/BP Army. This information holds too much value/promise, to "leave it alone".

I feel that strongly about it...
Jacos5

Re: Get it cheaper at Amazon

Post by Jacos5 »

RobRegish wrote:
d.elliston wrote:Amazon.com has ebook for $18. I just bought it and Or I Hofmelker's new book for $10.
FAVOR please, of you or anyone else who has the ebook - can you please contact me via PM, email at Kcilflexim@aol.com?

I'd like to get the ebook (and will gladly pay you for it). I'm working on something to get this info. to a broader audience/BP Army. This information holds too much value/promise, to "leave it alone".

I feel that strongly about it...
Done.
Jacos5

Post by Jacos5 »

And btw, thanks mikej26 for the reply and to you as well Rob.
pcallaghan

Post by pcallaghan »

Bought this last night, hoping to incorporate it in as soon as possible to my 3.0 runs
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

pcallaghan wrote:Bought this last night, hoping to incorporate it in as soon as possible to my 3.0 runs
Fantastic!

Please keep us posted...
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

Rob,

Convict Conditioning 2 is also out as well...
mikej26

Post by mikej26 »

I'm trying to send Convict Conditioning 2 to Rob, but I'm using my phone and attaching that size of file is giving me trouble