TF's Blueprint Log

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Saweeet! Go Turbo Go!
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

We're going to transition now back to HIT/one set to failure type training for the remainder of Feast. Since you're coming off of a new 1RM, consider using a weight that puts you into the 8-10 rep range again for one all out set to failure and supplement with some EDT PR zones. I'll be happy to write those out for you if you'd like.....

Rob, I would greatly appriciate if you could map out the first few workouts for me, just to get me started, I've never done EDT workouts before.. I truely do appriciate ya man :wink:

Turby I wish you were in Greenville we'd both be benching 300lbs by May 1....

DAMN 300 sounds so good don't it HANK!!! Then after we get that, then we'll have to shoot for 3 plates on each side!!... We're gonna get there bud, and it aint gonna take that long 8)....

Excellent work Turbo. Congrats on the PB's...

Thanks BeachPirate... now it's your turn bro :wink: ..

Nice progress man. I hope I get 3/4 the gains you have experienced. I have no idea what my real 1RM are right now so im so excited to get out of this famine phase and start working towards that. Keep up the good work....

Thanks Sovabrat, and no doubt you WILL experience your share of the gains, just stay focused and give it all you got.. I hadnt tried for a 1 rep max in a long time either before the BP... best of luck to you on your run, I'm pullin for you and see BIG things in your futere!! 8)

Great work, a 55lb increase? RIDICULOUS! I dont think even a newbie gains come that well! Question in regards to your weight tho i notice its not going up now is that just because your eating at or below maintenance? Most other logs ive seen they were at least 10 pounds heavier mostly lean mass but obviously this is going to be the result of diet so sorry if i missed it but are you eating at maintenance, below or above?...

Thanks Mars,.. 55 is a CRAZY I know, I'm blown away.. granted it had been over a year since I had tried for a 1rep max, previous to the BP the most I had eveer squated was 330.. I got 350 when I established my 1rm using the 5 workout loading program the BP perscribes.. so thats a 35 lbs jump just from that workout... I NEVER pushed myself nearly as hard on squats as I have recently... And it's payed off BIGTIME!! 8) ..

As far as my weight goes.. I eat like a horse bro, I've always had trouble gaining.. It's taken me a LONG time to get up and beable to maintain a weight on 190+.. I'm right at 199-200ish right now, but I am gonna start doing some HITT cardio, and probably have to cut the calories back a little.. It's been a chore getting in all the meals/calories i have this past few weeks, and I LOVE to eat.. seriously, it's ridicoulus I eat well over maintinence for a guy my size, and barely gain anything.. the only time I ever had sucsess gaining a substantial amount of weight was this winter(213), when i wasnt working much atall, and I ate a Hungry Man breakfast at the small town diner down the road from my house.. I'm tellin ya Sausage ,bacon,ham,eggs,hashbrowns,and biscuits and gravy 5+ times a week, while your just sitting on your ass all day, beside lifting 3x's aweek, will put some weight on ya... to bad it was mostly fat :oops:

soon as I got back to work and outta the diner, I started dropping weight like crazy
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK on the EDT, structure it as follows for upper body:

Pr Zone 1
A- Incline dumbell presses
B- Tbar rows

PR Zone 2
C- Wide grip barbell bench
D- Chinups

- Alternate antagonistic muscle exercises in jump set fahion
- Staley's generally uses 15-20 minutes, (called a PR Zone). I prefer 12-15 min to pack more quality work in. Just seems more efficient.
- You perform two PR Zones per workout.
- Your target weight is one that you can do 10 clean reps with.
- You will begin with alternating sets of 5 or 6 reps.
- As you tire, you may reduce set reps to 4 then 2 and end with singles.
- Your goal is to do as many reps with good form as possible in the PR Zone.
- Do not work to, or near failure in the early sets.
- You may reach failure at the end as you try to beat your previous record.
- Once able to do 20% more reps than your prior workout, increase load 5% and begin again.

On the squat, consider the following PR Zone (just one)

PR ZONE 1

Dimel Deadlifts
Leg Sled

This is absolutely exhausing so no further work needed. If you can do it great. God bless you. I'm an old man at 40 so need to conserve my energy :)
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

got a question on the 1 set to failure workouts, just outta curiosity, should I use the 8-10 throughout the rest of the feast, or will I work my way down on reps to failure, simular to the first loading program? .... again just curious..
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You'll work your way down to a 1 rep max again. There is one nuance to this that'll be different than the first time.

Please insert extra rest days to try and stretch it out a little bit. You've been in the 90th+ percentile for awhile so I'd recommend the following rep variations too..

1st workout 8-10 reps
2nd workout 6-8 reps
3rd workout 4-6 reps
4th workout 8-10 reps
5th workout: Attempt new 1RM

Recall that anymore than 3 weeks in the 90th percentile and you start going backwards. This strategy will also set you up for ongoing growth in the Cruise phase, when we again switch gears to 5 x 5 training.

Hope that helps!
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

RobRegish wrote:OK on the EDT, structure it as follows for upper body:

Pr Zone 1
A- Incline dumbell presses
B- Tbar rows

PR Zone 2
C- Wide grip barbell bench
D- Chinups

- Alternate antagonistic muscle exercises in jump set fahion
- Staley's generally uses 15-20 minutes, (called a PR Zone). I prefer 12-15 min to pack more quality work in. Just seems more efficient.
- You perform two PR Zones per workout.
- Your target weight is one that you can do 10 clean reps with.
- You will begin with alternating sets of 5 or 6 reps.
- As you tire, you may reduce set reps to 4 then 2 and end with singles.
- Your goal is to do as many reps with good form as possible in the PR Zone.
- Do not work to, or near failure in the early sets.
- You may reach failure at the end as you try to beat your previous record.
- Once able to do 20% more reps than your prior workout, increase load 5% and begin again.

On the squat, consider the following PR Zone (just one)

PR ZONE 1

Dimel Deadlifts
Leg Sled

This is absolutely exhausing so no further work needed. If you can do it great. God bless you. I'm an old man at 40 so need to conserve my energy :)
Rob

So to be clear
Do Incline DB bench for 10 reps then jump to Tbar rows for ten reps
repeat cycle for 12-15mins
then do wide grip bench and chinups same way?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes sir. Do take care to observe strict rest intervals in between sets. We don't want you passing out :)

Suggest 2-2.5 minutes in between. You should feel your conditioning picking up shortly..
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

Felt great to get back in the gym after 3 days rest 8)... my lower back did feel a little tight which made it hard to go very deep on squats...

Quick summary of workout..

Bench

225x9

squat

300x10

PRzone1 13min

wide grip BP= 200lbs x 43 reps
Bentover rows=135x43 reps(no t-bar at my gym)

PRzone2 14min

SLDL 225x38reps
Legsled 340x40reps(does not include sled weight)

I didnt get to do the other chest PR zone this time, The only incline was being used, and I'd already been there 2 hrs, and my soon to be wife was in town, and wanted me to come back home :roll:
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

200lbs for 43 reps?
SLDL 225x38reps?
Legsled 340x40reps?

I keep coming to your log and walk away dumbfounded..

Great work. You either have a great mix of fast/slow twitch fibers or one crisp CNS..

And congrats on the new wife!!

I'm thinking about a trade in.... JUST KIDDING! I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Ms. Mixelflick is dynamite and puts up with tremendous amounts of DMSO/flatulance that a lesser woman would flee from .. :)
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

thanks were getting married in a few weeks... on the lifts I started out doing 5 reps, jump setting between the 2 lifts, resting 1-1 1/2 mins in between each jump set.. it keep feeling light, so on some of the lifts I jumped it to 6 reps per set on the latter sets....

probably try alittle more weight next time on all the lifts, and see how it goes... It definetley was a good workout, and got me sweating a little, which I rarely do...
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

just got back from the gym...

bench

235x7 ( needed a LITTLE help on #7)

squat

315x8 ( got it pretty easily.. need to use more weight)

PR zones

widegrip BP 210x40.. 6 sets of 5, 1 set of 10
widegrip pullups.. 42 6 sets of 7

incline DB press 75'sx 38.. 5 sets of 6, 1 set of 8
bent over rows 155x30.. 6 sets of 5

SLDL 245x23.. 3 set of 5, 2 sets of 4
leg sled 390x30 (plus sled weight).. 5 set of 6

I was pretty tired after this workout.. felt good though.. I was REALLY hoping for 8 on bench... I'll probably go in friday for my next workout depending on how I feel, If I dont feel 100% I'll have to wait till Sun., cause I'll will be busy all day Sat...

I'm sure Rob will see no problems with me waitng till Sunday :P :wink: ..
Hope everything family wise is workin out for ya bud, You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers....
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great work Turbo!

And yes, all clear on waiting until Sunday if you feel it wise. Do take care to make sure you're feeling fully recovered, eat up (especially carbs + a few shakes of sodium..nothing drastic) and hydrate well.

Then, HAMMER IT!
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

T flex bringing it home, I suppose next week ill need to get 235x8 just to keep it interesting. Dang you and yer youthful exurberance
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

Put in some WORK today at the gym, very exuasting workout... and i loved it!!

Bench 245x6 (needed a little help on #6 at my sticking point)PR @ this weight!!

squat 340x6 (nailed it!!, and got pretty deep too) 8) PR!!

PR zone #1 13min

wide grip BP 215x32... 5x5,1x7
Wide grip PU 32.. 5x5,1x7

PR zone #2 13min

Incline DB press 80'sx36.. 6x6
bent over row 160x30.. 6x5 PR!!

PR zone #3

SLDL 245x25.. 5x5 PR!!
Leg sled 420x29..(plus sled weight).. 1x5,4x6 PR!!

Another ass kicker!! I got the SHIT PR'd outta me in there!! I leave the gym knowing I worked my ass OFF!! Feels goodman!! Feel like I'm getting stronger EVERY workout.. Positive my squat is gonna make another considerbly LARGE jump!!