Weight loss during famine

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
rzaragoza

Weight loss during famine

Post by rzaragoza »

Not sure where to post this so I opted for the nutrition section but about how much weight loss should occur during the famine? I know it will vary from person to person given their level of activity, diet, metabolism, etc.
I am just curious because I weighed myself yesterday on my first day of the famine and i was 181. Weighed myself again today at the same time of day and same amount of clothing and weighed in at 174! 7 pounds seems like quite a bit to drop in a day even if its just water weight or something. But then again I am used to consuming 3000+ calories a day so the drastic decrease in calories could also be it, just not 7 pounds worth. Anybody else have a similar experience?
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

Yes. This is okay. I lost 5-7 lbs. I dropped from like 155. It is mostly water. I would measure your waist and arms. You will see it is water and a little bit of fat. You may lose a little bit of muscle, but not much. It is one step backwards for three steps forwards. You will be gaining back pure, lean muscle. Don't be scared of famine.
rzaragoza

Post by rzaragoza »

alright cool. thanks!
Gotsouthern

Post by Gotsouthern »

I dropped right at 5 lbs as well. Fluctuated a bit through the week but Sunday to Sunday it was a net 5 lbs. I believe Rob says 5-6 lbs is about spot on.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, a 1lb/day is the "norm" for the average BP Famine phase. Having said that if you're a big man it makes sense you'll drop more. In that event, your resting heart rate is probably the better indicator of whether you're there yet.

I have a feeling you likely are or will be soon!
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

same here. I'm on day 4 and down 4 pounds. But none of it is lean tissue (yet).

In fact with most cutting cycles I tend to lose a lot of weight in the first couple weeks because of water retention and clogged up "pipes", so it's nothing to worry about.