New to BP, would like input on fat loss

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
drjgn

New to BP, would like input on fat loss

Post by drjgn »

Hey guys-
I just purchased BP- pretty excited/ slightly dazed after reading it...

I'm 35 yrs old, 6'2", 230 pounds. A few months ago, I weighed 265 and still need to lose 20-30 pounds of fat. Would then like to grow some muscle, but 1st priority is getting rid of the gut and love handles. Basically need to reshape my body.

Used to be athletic, but let myself go, have little kids, business, blah blah blah. Lots of excuses, but at least I'm trying now!!

I'm wondering if the calories/ cardio should be tweaked during any of the phases, given my goals?

Also have not been lifting huge weights (just fairly light), but have been doing quite a bit of cardio over the last few months. I've also been resting a possible "sports hernia", so I've been careful to rest it the last 3 weeks. That's what I get for getting off my butt! So that makes me wonder if I should be doing the "extra" blocks, or just the basics for the 1st time through?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input you all have, as I try to reverse the sedentary lifestyle physique!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Good man and sorry for the overwhelmed feeling. As you've found out, I didn't skimp on the particulars :)

The key for you will be caloric rotation during Feast.

- Suggest eating up the first 3 days at 120% of maintenance calories.
- Thereafter, 100% of maintenance on workout days, 70% on off days
- Perform your cardio on off days

It is largely about the calories and zig-zagging them. Doing so mitigates the drop seen in basal metabolic rate seen with a "fixed" caloric intake.

Hope that helps!
drjgn

Post by drjgn »

Thanks Rob for getting back to me. I appreciate any help I can get!

Just a couple questions:
* Would my maintenance calories be approx 10 times bodyweight?
* Given that I haven't been hardcore with the weights, should I be doing the EDT blocks, or would that be overtraining for me?

Thanks! I hope to start this coming Monday
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

My pleasure.

The BW x 10 recommendation is a general guideline. It's best to keep a daily total for a week (after weighing yourself in the morning say, on a Monday) and totaling it up on day 7. Divide by 7.

If your weight hasn't changed or within a pound or so... presto, there's your maintenance intake!

I think it's safe to venture into EDT blocks, just be reasonable with the weight used. The great news is, you're going to gain FAST that way!

All the best. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!
drjgn

Post by drjgn »

What do you think about using ECA during any of the phases?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Big fan of EC (but not the A). Do get your doctors clearance..

Without question, the most effective and well researched fat loss combo bar none. That goes for safety data too..
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

RobRegish wrote:Big fan of EC (but not the A). Do get your doctors clearance..

Without question, the most effective and well researched fat loss combo bar none. That goes for safety data too..
I'm a big fan of ECF (fish oil ;) )
drjgn

Post by drjgn »

thanks Rob.
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm starting Monday and want to be all ready.

ok to do EC through ALL phases? Just making sure...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah but again, you want a break at some point. Burning out the adrenals is no fun. Takes some time to get them back.