romanian deadlift

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
scump

romanian deadlift

Post by scump »

Hey guys any tips for someone attempting these for the first time? they just dont feel as smooth as my regular deadlifts or SLDL.

just wondering if there was any pointers you guys would like to share.

also regarding the first 5 in feast, is it ok to insert a extra rest day? finding these workouts very taxing indeed!
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

First off, yes, extra days are perfectly acceptable. Listen to your body, sounds like you know but not sure if you should listen. I was the same way, I ignored it and would go in anyway for a sub-par performance. BP has taught me to wait a day and press more.

RD
Start light intil the motion seems fluid. A belt at your discretion as you go heavier. I think belts are a good idea, personally. The main pointer is the back and shoulders. They should never be rounding down! Head up, shoulders back. Lower back arched in with the tight core and booty out. All good form comes into play as you go heavy. The bar should travel just in front of the shins. Watch out! seen plenty of bleeding shins from up or down movement. Form will come in time, practice, and be careful. This is a great move for building but can cause overloading and injury if you're not careful. Good luck! Oh yeah if just starting out I would suggest no straps, get those grippers primed. Once you are lifting weights that are just too heavy to hold- strap up- but the alternating grip helps keep the bar secure.
scump

Post by scump »

thanks draco.

yeah think i might start doing some sloowwww RDL's prior to the EDT blocks.

ive got a good deadlift form, but its alot different doing the RDL lol. currently just using chalk but should probably get a belt/straps later on down the track.
peb5048

deadlifts

Post by peb5048 »

Whats the difference between Romanian Deadlifts and Stiff Leg Deadlifts?
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

RDL your knees are slightly bent and you only come down about an inch below your knee..I think!
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

RDL starts with your knees bent squating down by the bar. You in a sense squat first before using your back to finish it off. That's how the shins get in the way and get scraped.
SLDL are just that, legs are straight (not locked) going down stretching the hams and glutes but using your back to move up.

Both moves I take the weight as close to the floor as possible. Some like to touch the floor but I like the constant tension. I see some guys set the weight down then jerk it back up- that slight pause and jerk can be dangerous.
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

I like to tip the floor, feels beast.I think stiff legged deadlifts are my favorite excercise.
scump

Post by scump »

i loveeee regular deadlifts.

SLDL i dont mind... RDL taking abit to get a hang of, but i see how its more beneficial to building mass as opposed to strength thats for sure!
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

DaCookie wrote:I like to tip the floor, feels beast.I think stiff legged deadlifts are my favorite excercise.
SLD are BOSS!
xxtotuxx

Post by xxtotuxx »

RDLs and SDLs have become two of my favorite exercises. I started doing them w/ the Blueprint, and how sore the muscles are next day is incredible!
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

I was actually in the same boat as you. I had never done RDL's prior to starting the Blueprint, but had a lot of experience with convential DL's and SLDL's, so I too found the RDL's a little awkward in the beginning. However, after a few gym sessions you will start to get the hang of it and the motion will start to feel more natural. I am currently on workout #5 of feast, so I've done the RDL's 4 times now, and I'd say after 2-3 workouts I was confortable doing them and started progressing in weight.
scump

Post by scump »

yeah Mos i know what you mean man.

i get insane pumps from RDL now and feel insanely beast after busting them out!

same as with SLDL, i really looked forward to going back to conventional deadlifts, but now im so happy with RDL and SLDL idk if i want to lol.

only prob im finding is keeping my back straight during these lifts, thinking getting a squat belt may help with this?
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

Yeah I like to use a belt - I think it helps.