Mos Jeff's First Run

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

OK great so the plan for tomorrows workout...

Bench Press 8-10 reps
Pull overs 8-10 reps

EDT Block

Incline DBBP
BB Bent over row

Squats 8-10 reps
SLDL 8-10 reps

EDT Block

Romanian DL
Leg extension

I will post again after the workout tomorrow with the weights.
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

So today was feast workout #1 and it was pretty tough, definitely different then what I'm used to. I did the following...

Bench press 230 x 9
DB pullovers 50 x 8

EDT Block

Incline DBBP 70 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
BB Bent-over row 175 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
Total reps = 72

Squat 225 x 10
SLDL 135 x 8

EDT Block

RDL 205 x 6, 6, 6, 5, 5
Leg extension 115 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
Total reps = 58

I played it conservative today and went a little light on the EDT blocks, specifically the first one, so next time I will increase the weight. This was also my first time doing RDL's (had only done SLDL and regular deads) so I'm still getting used to the movement (my body wants to do a SLDL). In addition, as I've mentioned to Rob, I'm currently trying to straighten out some issues with my body with regular visits to the chiropractor. One of thse issues is extreme tightness in my right hip flexor, which makes any movement in which I have to bend at the hips (RDL) very difficult, so I'm not sure how heavy I'll be able to go with those.

It felt good to have some strength again and lift some real weight.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great going!

Now get your traction and get growing :)
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

Day #5 of feast - no workout and diet was around 3600 calories. DOMS is ridiculous right now - I am extremely sore particularly in the hamstrings and chest, so I think I am going to take an extra day off tomorrow (I'm assuming this is alright to do?) Otherwise I'm feeling good.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, smart move on the extra day off!
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

RobRegish wrote:Yes, smart move on the extra day off!
Yeah, theres no way I would be able to bench, or squat today.

For these initial 5 workouts, is it ok if I follow a 1 on, 2 off schedule? I just don't think 1 day will be enough for me to recover between workouts since I'm working the same muscle groups each time. Once on to GL I see no reason why I couldnt switch to 1 on, 1 off.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Absolutely. Frequency is individual so feel free!!
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

I can't believe how sore that first workout got me. My chest is fully recovered but my hamstrings are still sore - still gonna give workout #2 a go today.
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

Day #7 of feast - workout #2 today, calories right around 3600...

Bench press: 250 x 5
DB pullovers: 55 x 6

EDT Block

Incline DBBP: 80 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
BB Bent-over row: 195 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
Total Reps = 72

Squats: 255 x 6
SLDL: 135 x 6

EDT Block

RDL: 205 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
Leg extension: 130 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
Total reps = 60

Felt pretty good today, other then my hamstrings still being sore - again the EDT Block for upper body was too light (I definitely thought the 80's for incline DBBP would be enough). I will increase again next workout. I've gotta figure out what I'm going to do soon once I progess past 85 lbs, since the gym I will be doing GL for bench doesn't have DB's past 85. I would use LA Fitness, but then I don't have a spotter.

I kept the weight for SLDL and RDL the same since I was still sore, but next workout I will be increasing on the RDL's for sure (finally getting the hang of them). Overall pretty tiring workout.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great going man!

Nice work, really good work feeling your strengths/weaknesses out. A HUGE part of The Blueprint.
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

Feast day #10

No workouts over the weekend - workout #3 will be later today so I will be updating again after the workout. Weight right now is at 196 still - very surprised I haven't gained back any of the weight I lost during famine.
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

Workout #3 - calories right around 3,600.

Bench press 275 x 2
DB pullovers 65 x 4

EDT Block

Incline DBBP: 85 x 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4
BB Bent-over row: 215 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
Total reps = 68

Squat 285 x 3
SLDL 185 x 3

EDT Block

RDL: 225 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 4
Leg extension: 160 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
Total reps = 70

I'm a little disappointed with today's workout, specifically the bench press. I just felt weak and the numbers showed that (275 x 2), when I had maxed 315, a personal best, just a few months ago. Now I have done a small cut, but I had not noticed nearly THAT much of a strength decrease. I'm just not sure what to shoot for when I max for the last workout.

EDT block was tougher this time - 85's for incline DBBP are good for now, but I will increase the rows, as well as the RDL's and leg extensions (RDL's are feeling good now) next workout. After tomorrow calories will be dropping to 3,000.
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Just checkin in here buddy. With your body weight not bouncing back and strength coming back slowly, you may consider keeping your cals up until after workout #5. Reading your whole log I see where you are getting your time frame for cals, that's fine and is Rob's guidline. I understand why and it's your call but if we're lookin at 600 cal for another few days it won't make a big difference on your BF but could help you gain traction. Other than that your log looks great and everything seems to be going as planned. Keep up the good work!!
Mos Jeff

Post by Mos Jeff »

Hey man thanks for checking in - I was actually toying with this idea last night and you make some good points and I agree so calories will stay the same for now unless rob has a different idea. I'm just ready to get things rolling.