Shoulder Rehab

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

It is my pleasure...
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Haven't mentioned it in this thread. guys ...
If you really want to be rehab'd (and then prehab'd, pain free with injury risks significantly decreased) then
practice all three wings of CST

My 'testimonial' - I didn't get serious about it until I had to. Now it's a 'health first' blessing to be able to practice, play, and lift pain free.
Full body joint mobility, inner core based movement, healthy spine, in flow...

All the best.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Amen to that...
PushingTheLimit

Post by PushingTheLimit »

Workout went great yesterday. Pullover felt good with one exception. During one of the reps my shoulder hit a sticking point and then popped. After that I had a feeling like a lot of pressure had been released. Everything else went great including squats. As of today shoulder is tired but not really sore. Some tenderness at the joint and thats about it.

Also in response to the post above. Before my injury I didnt practice all assets of health and fitness. I got so focused on getting bigger that I lost sight of my athletic roots. If anything good is to come from this injury it is that now I do practice all assets and realize how important each one is to achieving my goals
PushingTheLimit

I continue to push my shoulder and overall it feels ok. It hasnt gotten any worse but it isnt getting any better. Should I take that as a good sign? I am not sure but overall this week has been very encouraging.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I think provided you're able to increase workload/not experience any debilitating pain.... it's a sign it's getting stronger.

Shoulder's are tricky like this. Some days they'll be aching. Others they'll feel fine. The goal is to gradually stretch out longer and longer cycles of days where you feel fine.

My goal is to identify a movement you can modify the strength curve on to keep it "fresh" while being also somewhat therapeutic.

For if load in the gym is always detrimental and sled is beneficial, there will always be a tradeoff. Once we can work rehab into the loading, things get better. Hopefully, quickly..
PushingTheLimit

I will continue to do both sled work and the pullovers. Its working so far so I will continue to increase the load and see how my shoulder feels.
PushingTheLimit

Finished German Loading Pattern 2 today.

My squat jumped 30lbs from 335lbs to 365lbs

365! Thats rediculous for me
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

So let's see.... in the past few months while you've been rehabing that shoulder you've added:

50 F'ING POUNDS TO YOUR SQUAT!

So happy for you man. Rest up a week (well earned) and move on to the Russian Loading Pattern for another 5-10% more!

You are a good man. And I applaud your offensive moves when others would shrink away from training altogether.

Any questions about what to do next let me know. I'm here for you...
PushingTheLimit

Thanks. It was tough and my legs are toast. There has not been a day during the entire loading pattern that they werent sore.

If you have any other training techniques you want to throw at me I am ready and willing to try them.

Look at my schedule and see if I can make improvements

Monday-Legs, crossfit circuit inluding jump roap, box jumps and various other exercises of my choice, abs

Tuesday-Full body circuit. 10 exercise done in 1 min intervals with 15 secs of rest between

Wednesday- Rest or distance run

Thursday- Full body circuit. 10 exercise done in 1 min intervals with 15 secs of rest between and abs

Friday- Legs, crossfit circuit inluding sprints, box jumps and various other exercises of my choice

Saturday-Full body circuit. 10 exercise done in 1 min intervals with 15 secs of rest between and abs

Sunday-Rest or distance run

Any suggestions let me know. I am all for new things
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

If you can squeeze one more session in for legs (or one every 4th day on average) you for sure can run the Russian Loading pattern next for squats and keep this rolling.

If not, you can look at the 10% solution. If not that, we could use and EDT template.

Let me know what your goals are at this point. That's probably the best pointer I'd need.
PushingTheLimit

My goals are scattered at this point. Its nearing summer so of course I want to look my best. But honestly I want to be the best athlete I can be. That includes being bigger, faster and stronger. I recently introduced different crossfit and circuit training techniques into my training and am seeing good results but not the strength and size goals I have. I am at the prime age to be getting as strong as possible and I want to take advantage of it. So I am ready for anything you can throw at me. That includes lifting upper body. When I aggravate my shoulder it just becomes sore but its nothing that inhibits my everyday life or even training the next day. I have been to the doctor again and he just says take some advil and I should be fine.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Let's run the 10% solution for your squats. Once those are completed, look at bracketing the following in EDT fashion:

Pullover with dumbell (every other workout, try this with a cable)
Seated cable rows

Finish with this EDT block:

Incline dumbell curls
Decline dumbell tricep extensions

You may add calves/abs here if you wish. My preference would be static holds:

Calves: Load up a leg sled with maximum weight. With safety's locked press with the toes for a maximum contraction of 15-20 seconds. Alternatively you may use the seated calf raise in similar fashion

Abs: Kneeling on the ground, attach a handle or rope to a high pulley, held behind the head. Have someone assist you into the crunch position and hold for 5-15 seconds.

2 sets of each.

That should provide you with a nice, full body workout that hits the major and some minor muscle groups, improves upper body strength, balances shoulder push/pulling movements and of course... gets you another 5-10% on your 365 squat :)
PushingTheLimit

Thanks. How many times a week should I perform this workout?

Also I feel like I am doing the EDT system wrong. I am never having to drop the number of reps significantly in the latter sets.