BP and Muay Thai

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
englishbob

BP and Muay Thai

Post by englishbob »

Hi all,

I plan to combine CC and Muay Thai in my first BP run. I am spending a week in Italy at the end of July (which will serve as my week off) and then I intend to get started.

Weightlifting is not possible for me right now as I suffered a prolapsed disc a year or so ago and even light weights cause me some pain. Bodyweight training is fine and I have been working from Dino BWT for the past 8 months. Possibly I can lift some iron in my second run.

Anyway the question for any who can answer; bodyweight training does not hit the body anywhere near as hard as weight-training so what level of supplementation are people using for that?

Secondly, and any MMA/Muay Thai guys please let me know your thoughts, has anyone combined supplementation with this kind of training? Speaking for MT training, this is a real mix of high intensity cardio, bodyweight and endurance training. An hours sparring currently takes me two days to recover (due to my time out due to injury). I am 38 years old.

Some aspects of The Formula and Synthagen seem appropriate here. Again, please let me know your thoughts, greatly appreciated.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

quick answer

Generally speaking, Mass products are great for any tactical fitness (and body weight type) work.
(imo, you’re going to get more bang for your buck using the products with ground work than the stand up stuff but still good for either one...)
englishbob

Post by englishbob »

BrainSquirt wrote:quick answer

Generally speaking, Mass products are great for any tactical fitness (and body weight type) work.
Thanks for your answer BrainSquirt.

The more reading I do the more I agree with this. Competitive martial arts is definitely a highly catabolic activity where you burn glycogen and then muscle. I can see where Rob is going with the macronutrient ratios and also with the ingredients of The Formula. In fact his ratios fit exactly with those I see recommended for MA. I just need to figure out how to modify it for my Muay Thai training.

I have to say The Blueprint is a fantastic set of documents. I learn something new everytime I (re)read it.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

re: "how to modify it for my Muay Thai training"

Are you training in rounds or class sessions?
englishbob

Post by englishbob »

BrainSquirt wrote:
Are you training in rounds or class sessions?
Everything we do is in rounds, whether its sparring, shadowboxing, pad work or bag work. Currently I train Muay Thai twice a week with 2-3 bodyweight training sessions depending on recovery.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

englishbob wrote:
BrainSquirt wrote:quick answer

Thanks for your answer BrainSquirt.

The more reading I do the more I agree with this. Competitive martial arts is definitely a highly catabolic activity where you burn glycogen and then muscle. I can see where Rob is going with the macronutrient ratios and also with the ingredients of The Formula. In fact his ratios fit exactly with those I see recommended for MA. I just need to figure out how to modify it for my Muay Thai training.

I have to say The Blueprint is a fantastic set of documents. I learn something new everytime I (re)read it.
I often wonder how many read it once, then done. What you said is VERY true, and a wonderful compliment.

Thank you... :)
englishbob

Post by englishbob »

RobRegish wrote:
I often wonder how many read it once, then done. What you said is VERY true, and a wonderful compliment.

Thank you... :)
Thank you Rob for writing it. Its been a great inspiration to me. I'm only disappointed I can't yet take full advantage of it (due to the injury). But I am certain it will allow me to make gains in other areas, particularly the bodyweight training.

Since I have your attention, are you able to express a view on whether the Formula as it stands makes sense in a sport like Muay Thai? Its hard to categorize it but you have some resistance work (stand-up grappling), anaerobic cardio (sparring), plyometric training. We train in 3 minute rounds going hard as possible with 1 -2 minute break periods. This goes on for about 90 minutes.

Or would it make more sense to use the Formula in my CC sessions?

Another question about supplementation: I have spare cash right now to buy one supplement (aside from whey protein). Which one would you recommend? Synthagen sounds like it has general athletic properties that are relevant?

Thanking you in advance! :D