Dr. Scott Connelly's Myotropics

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
mikej26

Post by mikej26 »

For those of you who have enjoyed listening to Dr. Connelly speak on various topics via SHR or body rx radio. He has a new show called physique start radio. He comes on half way through each episode and does a segment call muscle university. His part is definitely worth listening to.

Physique STAR radio*
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

They just posted the nutritional info label on facebook today... currious to see how it stacks up against the much anticipated Synthagen:

Serv size: 3 scoops
Servings per container: 15

Fat: 3g
Carbs: 16g
(sugars 1g, fiber 1g)
Protein: 39g

Ingredients: Proprietary blend of (total milk protein, leucine, glutamine and proline), Proprietary blend of (Hydroxypropyl-distarch phosphate, Maltrodextrin, Polydextrose), Fatty acid blend (Safflower oil, sunflower oil, Lecithin, Medium chain triglycerides, Caesin)...

From what I gather this is intended as a low carb MRP to be taken through out the day (ie. not as post workout) -- I could be wrong about this.
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

BTW... for a laugh I tried to duplicate it as best I could on trueprotein...

this is what I came up with (maybe someone more educated on these things can do better):

50% Complete Milk Dairy Isolate
5% Hydrolyzed Casein
5% Milk Protein Isolate

5% Dextrose
10% Maltodextrin
5% Waxy Maize Starch – Amylocel

5% Glutamine Peptides
5% L-Glutamine
5% L-Leucine

5% MCT – Medium Chain Triglyceride Powder

Options:
Vitamin & Mineral Mix
Chocolate (Unsweetened)
FREE Food Grade Bag
Sucralose (Splenda)

This mix runs at $10.55 per pound.
mikej26

Post by mikej26 »

I knew it wouldn't be long before the WM-HDP started catching on as a carb source.
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

I still have no idea what WM-HDP is meant to be used for.

From what they say on the website it isn't meant to be a post-workout carb because it's absorbed slowly, and it doesn't make sense to have it midday when you could just as easily eat oatmeal.
mikej26

Post by mikej26 »

the_buffer wrote:I still have no idea what WM-HDP is meant to be used for.

From what they say on the website it isn't meant to be a post-workout carb because it's absorbed slowly, and it doesn't make sense to have it midday when you could just as easily eat oatmeal.
Here's a write up that was done by Prof. Andro that brings to light some of its potential applications.

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/01 ... ropyl.html

From what I gather, the key advantage to this supp would be the ability to replenish glycogen via exercise induced glut4 expression without any significant rise in insulin, allowing for extended fatty acid oxidation.

My guess is that the additional carb sources in the myotropic blend are minimal, and only serve the purpose of raising the insulin response somewhat over what the hdp would as a standalone to help blunt a rise in exercise induced cortisol and to provide a small yet necessary amount of fast digesting carbs to meet post workout needs.
Garyboy

Post by Garyboy »

Have any of you guys been using this, and if so, how are you liking it? Was all ready to give this a serious run, but they unfortunately do not ship to Canada. Thanks for your replies.
mikej26

Post by mikej26 »

Garyboy wrote:Have any of you guys been using this, and if so, how are you liking it? Was all ready to give this a serious run, but they unfortunately do not ship to Canada. Thanks for your replies.
I did give it a trial run. I liked it for the most part in terms of results. Taste was okay, but not amazing(mass pro is much better). I've decided that what I really enjoyed about the product mostly had to do with the carb source more so than the protein used. I'm pretty low carb/high fat in general and the WM-HDP that is the main chunk of the carb source they used allowed me to sneak some extra carbs in without any of the side effects I would normally encounter with other carbs.

For the price though, I'd rather buy the WM-HDP separate and add it into a higher quality protein(mass pro maybe?). I'm also curious about trying superstarch by ucan to see how it compares.
Garyboy

Post by Garyboy »

Thanks for the insight, Mike. Yes, seeing as how pricey it can be, buying the WM-HDP and adding it to your protein of choice does make a lot of sense.
mikej26

Post by mikej26 »

Garyboy wrote:Thanks for the insight, Mike. Yes, seeing as how pricey it can be, buying the WM-HDP and adding it to your protein of choice does make a lot of sense.
I think Myotropics is hip to the fact that the carb source is the real magic to their product because I just got an email from them stating that they are selling the carb source as a stand alone product under the name "Thermalcarb".
tomz

Post by tomz »

Just picked up some Physique 2 and Thermicarb, any suggestions/ideas on how to best stack this with Synthagen?

A couple of pre-contest diet logs, and the Myotropics website, show taking a serving of Physique and Thermicarb immediately post-workout. Seeing as that's the same window of opportunity that Rob recommends dosing 7 capsules of Synthagen, I'm wondering if the Physique 2 should be skipped, so as not to interfere with the careful balance of aminos in Synthagen.

I have a bit of experimenting to do, methinks!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

tomz wrote:Just picked up some Physique 2 and Thermicarb, any suggestions/ideas on how to best stack this with Synthagen?

A couple of pre-contest diet logs, and the Myotropics website, show taking a serving of Physique and Thermicarb immediately post-workout. Seeing as that's the same window of opportunity that Rob recommends dosing 7 capsules of Synthagen, I'm wondering if the Physique 2 should be skipped, so as not to interfere with the careful balance of aminos in Synthagen.

I have a bit of experimenting to do, methinks!
A window of separation is all that's advised (perhaps 15 min). Synthagen excels at maximizing the macro's in your diet. If you find Physique 2.0 worth your dollar, Synthagen will certainly be complimentary.

Here's how that works..

Your muscles are powered by chemical energy. When you exhaust that chemical energy—through hard training —it triggers a survival response on a cellular level. Your body builds even more chemical energy into your muscles, in case you have to perform the same exhausting exercise again. But regenerating then building upon these stores isn't easy for the body, and it takes time. Too much time, I thought. Synthagen vastly accelerates this process, by "putting back" a LOT of cellular and chemical energy - faster than you can without it.

The faster this “exhaust-rebuild” process occurs, the more these chemical stores stack up significantly and your muscles get larger. Accelerating this step simply can't be accomplished by any ONE ingredient, as many supplement companies would have you believe. For example, study the many steps involved in protein synthesis. If cellular ATP is low, if even ONE essential amino acid is missing, if there's insufficient mRNA available - it doesn't happen. Creatine alone can't accomplish this, nor beta-alanine, nor any one ingredient (including PH's, btw). Only a comprehensive, targeted formula can accelerate this process.

That's why Synthagen contains 16 ingredients, in very special ratios to one another...

You can look at it like this: Picture a 10 mile stretch of road. At one end, you're at the starting line in your car. At the end of the road, lies muscle growth. Every mile of the road though, there exists a traffic light - representing some bodily requirement, preventing you from moving forward. It may be cellular ATP levels being adequate, it may be having a big enough pool of purine nucleotides or it may be the "bricks" or building blocks of muscle being available, to construct a new contractile muscle protein. In many people, these traffic lights are yellow or even red, slowing recovery and growth, or stopping it altogether.

Synthagen turns every traffic light green, allowing you to recover and grow faster than any supplement on the market. Whether P 2.0 is additive to this, remains an open question...
tomz

Post by tomz »

Thanks Rob! That really clarifies things.. the traffic light analogy made everything crystal clear.

So as long as I leave synthagen 15 minutes to do its work, it sounds like I can swap in anything after that, physique 2, mass pro whey, etc, and whether they or addictive or not remains to be seen, like you said.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Not really going against Rob, but I would suggest allowing a 45 minute (Synthagen taken prior) window before any other supplemental amino/protein to be optimal - with 10-15 perfect for whole food protein sources.