raw milk vs. pasteurized and implications

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
nigh70wl

raw milk vs. pasteurized and implications

Post by nigh70wl »

I had a thought. we are worried about whether or not this or that brand of whey protein is cold-processed because if it's heat-dried, the heating process will destroy all kinds of good things, and it'll denature the protein to boot.

... but all commercially-produced whey is made from pasteurized milk. the pasteurization process heats milk to the boiling point, which is more than enough to denature it.

so where does that leave us?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

MassPro... :)

At least for me!
nigh70wl

Post by nigh70wl »

is it made from unpasteurized milk - I can't see how any milk extract that was initially pasteurized could be undenatured. doesn't that kind of shoot us in the foot?
nigh70wl

Post by nigh70wl »

rather, why pay more for a protein that is advertised as cold-processed if it's made from pasteurized milk, since the pasteurization process heats the milk even more than the dehydration process would heat the whey?

- I did some googling and the only raw milk whey protein mix that I was able to find was some jerk who was selling it for something on the order of $50/pound. does anyone know of another source for raw milk whey?

- it's possible to make your own whey; anyone have any ideas for how you'd then dehydrate it without heating it much?
restoman45

Post by restoman45 »

nigh7owl, you are correct. Raw milk is the only way to go. I just did about a solid months worth of research on the subject, and there is no comparison. The milk flavored water in stores is garbage compared to raw milk (not to mention raw milk is absolutely delicious...). I do not know how askmass makes their protein (they say its cold processed), but is it from milk that has already been pasteurized?????

Any doubters, I ask you this: If you know anything about breast feeding your child, what is the biggest no-no about giving your baby breast milk (if you pumped in stored)? Answer: Heating it over 100 degrees (especially not to 160s) due to the fact it destroys the quality of the milk (look into it if you don't believe me). However, the FDA tells us raw cow milk is bad for us and pasteurizing it does no harm...what a joke that is...stupid power hungry big-government
restoman45

Post by restoman45 »

p.s., look into www.realmilk.com for locations to purchase raw milk in your area. I feel bad for those who live in the ridiculous states who ban the sale of raw milk, what a joke that is...
nigh70wl

Post by nigh70wl »

I'm lucky to have a milk-farming Amish neighbor whose farm is next to my family's, he'll hook it up. the way I figure it, if it's that dangerous to drink raw milk, then dairy farmers wouldn't drink it - they all do, and they raise their kids on it.

as far as finding raw milk whey concentrate/isolate on the internet... good luck. all the products that i'm finding are insanely expensive, i think the cheapest one was like $30 for a pound. nor is it practical to just drink straight raw whey - there's only 1-2g protein per cup. I guess the solution would be to freeze-dry it but I can't find any info on that.
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Contacted that one place in dublin that sells raw milk apparently.I hear they are open on only fridays and saturdays, I hope they are open like 2pm because otherwise I wont be able to get it cause I work 6pm onwards most nights.

Interested to see what John and Rob have to say about the masspro and pasteurization issue.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

DaCookie wrote:Contacted that one place in dublin that sells raw milk apparently.I hear they are open on only fridays and saturdays, I hope they are open like 2pm because otherwise I wont be able to get it cause I work 6pm onwards most nights.

Interested to see what John and Rob have to say about the masspro and pasteurization issue.
John has more insight than me/us, but I'm aware of the fact it's what they refer to as.. "slow dried".

This is a looong, laborious and time-consuming process (read; expensive!!)

Is it worth it?

In my book, (and it is my book ...:)) - IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!!
dropthebeats

Post by dropthebeats »

Why not just eat more chicken and beef? Plenty of protein there. Or does cooking meat get rid of the protein too?
restoman45

Post by restoman45 »

Unless I can be proved otherwise, I feel like buying cold processed protein is a sale gimmick if the protein has already been involved in the pasteurization process...the whole point of cold processing something is to save the protein from heat, correct me if I am wrong.

For those of you who love milk, you will love raw milk much more! I have been drinking it from jersey cows, but jersey and guernsey cows are both higher in protein and nutrition content than holstein cows. Jersey cows have up to 20% more protein than holsteins from the data I have read...
RobRegish wrote:
DaCookie wrote:Contacted that one place in dublin that sells raw milk apparently.I hear they are open on only fridays and saturdays, I hope they are open like 2pm because otherwise I wont be able to get it cause I work 6pm onwards most nights.

John has more insight than me/us, but I'm aware of the fact it's what they refer to as.. "slow dried".

This is a looong, laborious and time-consuming process (read; expensive!!)

Is it worth it?

In my book, (and it is my book ...:)) - IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!!
nigh70wl

Post by nigh70wl »

dropthebeats, I think it's a quality question... you're still getting plenty of protein if you're eating lots of meat, no doubt, and I'm sure you're still getting protein from whey/casein shakes. so I think it's like this - you get more out of less if it's raw protein, and it's better for you.
so with the meat analogy, if you were to eat sushi (with a low mercury content!) every day instead of the equivalent amount of steak well done, you'd be getting much better-quality protein that your body would be able to use much more of, much more easily. so I'm sure as hell not going to stop drinking whey or cooking my steaks, lol, but I guess the take-home idea is that raw protein > cooked protein if it's at all possible and reasonable to get your hands on it.

restoman I agree with you on that one, if it's pasteurized it's already been heated to the point of the proteins being denatured. man, I wish manufacturers that cold-process their proteins would use raw milk!! if MASS did that I'd never buy from another source.
restoman45

Post by restoman45 »

dropthebeats wrote:Why not just eat more chicken and beef? Plenty of protein there. Or does cooking meat get rid of the protein too?
I eat my beef rare/medium rare at most. I also cook my chicken less than most, will use raw eggs in homemade protein shakes, and if I cook egg they are soft boiled or fried over-easy. There is a "risk" with this, but I have never been sick from food besides raw oysters once (shouldn't have eaten them in the summer haha). Pasteurization of milk brings it up over 160 degrees where as I cook my meats to 125 at most in the center as the edges of the meat is where the germs are inherint.

I also heard a story from a farmer last week. He was given a calf when the mother died and the calf was a few weeks old. He gave it formula for a few months until it started getting too expensive. He then got milk from the grocery store for it and even though it was drinking more of it then formula it started losing tons of weight. Well he spoke to his amish farming friend that taught him most of what he knows about farming and was told calfs will die if they drink pasteurized milk because the nutrient content is killed in the process and its not that much better than drinking water...digestive enzymes and much more is destroyed in the process. In fact some people who are lactose intolerant can drink milk if its raw...
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

General questions... barely on topic

Askmass, etc.
Is there a scale of which individual amino acids are most susceptible to unavailability via heat and other structural damage?

Thanks.