Quick Warmup Question

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
matter2003

Quick Warmup Question

Post by matter2003 »

I am starting my feast workouts 1-5, and have a quick question regarding my warmups.

When I am doing warmups, am I supposed to do warmups for both exercises or just the 1st one...ie, should I be doing warmups of both bench and pullovers, or just warmup with bench and after my work set, go straight into work set of pullovers?

I did some warmups for each one, but wanted to see if this was correct or if I just need to do the warmups for the first set but not the superset
drtda

Post by drtda »

You can really do it either way. It depends on how quickly you can warm up. Some of that depends on your age as well. At 20 I only did minimal warm-ups and could get away with it. At almost 40, I'm smart enough now to do plenty of warm-ups as injuries don't heal nearly as quickly.
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

drtda wrote:You can really do it either way. It depends on how quickly you can warm up. Some of that depends on your age as well. At 20 I only did minimal warm-ups and could get away with it. At almost 40, I'm smart enough now to do plenty of warm-ups as injuries don't heal nearly as quickly.
I'm 36, and I totally agree with that! I did some warmups for both, so I will just continue doing this unless Rob instructs me not to...
KE

Post by KE »

Always incorporate warm ups with every wo, even a brief 10-15 minute "low intensity walk on the tread mill" can be benificial before training. It helps to icrease blood flow to mucsles, and thus decreases tendonitis issues. I know Rob has a post discussing this, but not sure where to direct you to find it. I'm 48 years of age (old) and have found warming up and post training stretching very critical to staying healthy and decreasing injury. Hope this helps.
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

KE wrote:Always incorporate warm ups with every wo, even a brief 10-15 minute "low intensity walk on the tread mill" can be benificial before training. It helps to icrease blood flow to mucsles, and thus decreases tendonitis issues. I know Rob has a post discussing this, but not sure where to direct you to find it. I'm 48 years of age (old) and have found warming up and post training stretching very critical to staying healthy and decreasing injury. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this...I usually do a quick 5 minute warmup on an elliptical at a fairly low pace...perhaps I will stretch it to 10 mins after reading this...
Linkiroth

Post by Linkiroth »

KE wrote:Always incorporate warm ups with every wo, even a brief 10-15 minute "low intensity walk on the tread mill" can be benificial before training. It helps to icrease blood flow to mucsles, and thus decreases tendonitis issues. I know Rob has a post discussing this, but not sure where to direct you to find it. I'm 48 years of age (old) and have found warming up and post training stretching very critical to staying healthy and decreasing injury. Hope this helps.
The post linked to in his signature contains the warmup resource.
Norma

Post by Norma »

Warm up before the exercise is very compulsory and help in to make mind
and get ready for the exercise. these tips are very healthy for the warm up.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

matter2003 wrote:
drtda wrote:You can really do it either way. It depends on how quickly you can warm up. Some of that depends on your age as well. At 20 I only did minimal warm-ups and could get away with it. At almost 40, I'm smart enough now to do plenty of warm-ups as injuries don't heal nearly as quickly.
I'm 36, and I totally agree with that! I did some warmups for both, so I will just continue doing this unless Rob instructs me not to...
I do warmups for both. Look at it this way, you're greasing the groove for both movements, via the CNS. It's not just about blood flow, it's the CNS... :)
comon

Post by comon »

HI there,
I also done the warm up exercise before any workout. I wanna say that warming up your body is much better to have the proper workout and making your body best one. ...
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Best warm-up I have found is 8 -12 minutes of brisk full body joint mobility work - full range of motion - every joint in the body. Do reps at approximately the same speed as you will be working out. ie if lifting, go at moderate speed. If speed or fight training, go each rep faster than the last .

Tunes in the CNS connectivity, bathes the joints, soothes the tendons and ligaments, balances the myofascia, warms the muscles sufficiently – especially if you’re already tactically fit. It’s prehab! Reduces the chances for injury significantly. Much slower paced full body joint mobility work is also a great warm down… helps solidify gains and proprioceptic ‘learning’.

Locally it’s sad to watch - I observe that lifters are the ones who need it most and are also the ones least likely to do it… :?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great observations, all of them.

One important point: Stretching WITH weights is far superior IMO, than without. There is conflicting research on such, but greasing the CNS groove optimally is best done with lighter, then progressively heavier weights.

Hope that helps...