Long Cardio During Famine. Help!!!

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
doolee

Long Cardio During Famine. Help!!!

Post by doolee »

So I'm pretty much whipped by my girl when it comes to our running days (which unfortunately happen to be EVERYDAY i have a famine workout).
We generally do 4-5 miles at a low intensity (alternating 1 lap walking 1 lap running). Though cardio typically targets visceral fat, I'm still a bit concerned about excessive muscle damage. Any advice?
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Prolonged cardio will canablize muscle for energy (look at a marathoner v a sprinter). For building/preserving muscle while losing fat its best to do intervals, or some LISS. Though ultimately 4 miles isn't going to hurt you.
doolee

Post by doolee »

LISS? Would that be like my alternation of walking and running? And thank you Hank. Makes me feel a bit better, because I know it is very catabolic to run long distance. But this cannot be avoided LOL
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

LISS Low Intensity Steady State : walking at 3-4mph mph for 40-60 minutes. from what I gather (and judging by all big/lean dude at the gym) this is really effective when done in a fasted state.

Your walking / running is more like HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training

this is a favorite of mine

Walk for 90 secs to two minutes then flat out balls to the wall sprint for 45 to 60 secs and repeat.
I can manage about 10 sprints before I am gassed out, HIIT continues to burn calories hours after the actual workout is over
doolee

Post by doolee »

Ya usually I do sprints for any cardio when by myself. That was the most brutal cardio session of all time. I feel like i'm already around day 3-4! Was nauseous which is funny considering I have nothing in my stomach =)
RobRegish

Re: Long Cardio During Famine. Help!!!

Post by RobRegish »

doolee wrote:So I'm pretty much whipped by my girl when it comes to our running days (which unfortunately happen to be EVERYDAY i have a famine workout).
We generally do 4-5 miles at a low intensity (alternating 1 lap walking 1 lap running). Though cardio typically targets visceral fat, I'm still a bit concerned about excessive muscle damage. Any advice?
A. SOLUTION: Skip the cardio on training days and ONLY LISS during Famine on "off" days!

You can stand behind her and watch the ponytail jiggle, while she looking for "pointers" to give her during her "cardio" sessions... :)
taxlawguy37

Cardio and the Blueprint

Post by taxlawguy37 »

Hey all:

I'm new to the Blueprint and have concerns regarding cardio and the program. I usually run around 6 miles and mostly its hill running. I'm hoping this won't have a detrimental effect when doing the program. any thoughts? I'm an endomorph and want to strip fat.