Shoulder Rehab

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
PushingTheLimit

Post by PushingTheLimit »

ok..another question. Am I supposed to change up my friday rehab? I went ahead and performed the static hold like before yesterday.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Answer: No.

You should be holding either a heavier weight and/or for a longer time period, but otherwise stick with it.

How was week 3? I am hopeful you experienced the following:

- Shoulder feeling better
- Increases both on your full range total tonnage/lighter lifts and..
- Increased weights/hold times on your statics..

I already know about your squat, and still stoked for you :)
PushingTheLimit

Week three was the best so far. Shoulder is feeling stronger. Still a little tender and pain during random movements. Lifting felt great all week. Really cant wait to get back into it. Went up 40lbs on my static holds and held for 20 secs. Did notice popping in my shoulder doing DB curls yesterday but not at the point of injury. Workouts are getting stronger as I push myself to do more.

Also am noticing a my body composition really start to change. Body fat % is dropping and veins are beginning to appear in new places. Only complaint is that my chest has lost some of its size as well as my back. I know once I start lifting again it will go back to normal and even be much improved. Also just noticing just a better overall feeling of fitness lately. I have found a great balance with my diet to fit my needs right now.

Overall week 3 was a very busy week with 40 hours of work and 5 classes in college but its been very encouraging and cant wait to hit it harder next week.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Best news so far.

Thanks for sharing :)
PushingTheLimit

No problem...will continue to get better each day
PushingTheLimit

Can you outline a killer arm workout? I am looking to improve on a another muscle group besides my legs during this rehab
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

For you, sure...

Once again, we utilize Charles Staley's excellent EDT system for efficient overload/time denisty management principles with a few twists, just for you :)

WORKOUT #1

PR Zone 1

A- Close grip, palms up chin Ups
B- Lying EZ Bar triceps extensions

PR Zone 2
C- Preacher curls
D- Reverse grip tricep pushdowns

WORKOUT #2

PR Zone 1
A- Close grip incline bench press
B- Low Cable Curls

PR Zone 2

C- Incline dumbell curls (lift with both arms simultaneously)
D- Standing overhead tricep extensions (EZ curl bar or straight barbell) with a close grip

- Alternate antagonistic muscle exercises in jump set fahion
- Uses just 10-15 minutes zones, (PR Zones). I don't care to go over 15 min for such a small muscle group.
- You perform two PR Zones per workout.
- Your target weight is one that you can do 10 clean reps with.
- You will begin with alternating sets of 5 or 6 reps.
- As you tire, you may reduce set reps to 4 then 2 and end with singles.
- Your goal is to do as many reps with good form as possible in the PR Zone.
- Do not work to, or near failure in the early sets.
- You may reach failure at the end as you try to beat your previous record.
- Once able to do 20% more reps than your prior workout, increase load 5% and begin again.
PushingTheLimit

That looks brutal. I will have fun with that tomorrow. Thanks for the workout.
PushingTheLimit

So todays workout went well. Most of the lifts felt good. Aggravated my shoulder slightly performing DB bench. For some reason preacher curls seem to cause slight pain as well. Besides that everything else felt great. Very quality workout. Cant wait to hit the sled workout tomorrow.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Try this warmup..

1.) Band extensions OR cable pressdowns - one set of 25-30 w/very light weight to warm up the elbows

2.) Dumbell bench with light weight x 5 reps. Shoot for a deep range of motion

3.) Rotate into shoulder rotations with that light weight, meaning 5-10 forward and backward. On the forward reps, you'll be tempted to bring the dumbells inward, pointing them toward the ground. Strive to push them outward instead.

On the reverse of that rotation, bring them as far back as you can, trying to point them down toward the ground. You'll find yourself a bit tighter here, with a slightly lesser range of motion than forward.

Finish off with an ever increasing range of flyes, the last one with the dumbells in a DEEP stretch, ideally at a point behind the head and lowering them to the ground.

All of that dumbell work should be performed as one giant set. With a very light weight and in rapid succession. Then move on to your bench wamups.

This doesn't take much time, is a nice prelude into any bench/pressing routine and tees you up to be stronger in your lifts given you'll be stronger to boot.

Stretching with weights improves strength. Stretching without weights has been shown to DECREASE strength prior to lifting.

Advantage: YOU!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

On the preacher curls, consider substituting a set of close grip, palms up pulldowns leaning slightly backwards.

Reason: You still get a stretch position movement but doing so on the vertical plane. But it will remove any awkward shoulder rotation/pulling stress seen in the preacher curl.
PushingTheLimit

I can definately do all that. Anything to keep me from irritating my shoulder anymore
PushingTheLimit

So my shoulder is feeling pretty bad since mondays workout. Range of motion is limited again. Pain is back on little movements. Must have tweaked it during my workout. Taking anti inflammatories and they are helping somewhat. Hopefully todays rehab and tomorrows sled training help so I can get a good lifting session in on friday.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK play it by ear..

My own shoulders are feeling "achy" and I've got 4 workots left in German Loading Pattern #2. Hope I make it.

What I find interesting about my shoulders is that the tenderness seems to "migrate" from back to front to the side etc.. Then it goes away.

Hoping we both get there together :)

Stay positive, listen to your body and push forward, especially to your new PR in German Loading pattern #2 on the squat!