Elephino's recovery log.

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
elephino

Elephino's recovery log.

Post by elephino »

Whelp. Time to start a different log. Fractured schapoid, ligament damage. Physical therapy started today.

PT:

Grip Strength: 26% (35/135)
Flexion: 40%
Extension: 35%

Gym:
Can't do anything that requires right hand grip...

HIIT: 40 minutes, bike. HR 140 -> 180, 1 minute intervals.

Seated Calf Raises
--ss with--
Incline weighted situps

Standing Calf Raises
--ss with--
Obliques
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Damn. Sorry to hear it man...

If it is a ligament, those things take forever to heal due to poor blood flow. Interested to see what your PT comes back with.

My $0.02.... cissus in a 5-10% extract worked WONDERS for my shoulder...
elephino

Post by elephino »

Another round of PT today. Strength has improved in my hand, but ROM is still an issue. She got in there and freed up some of the tendons, as they were still swollen and not sliding through the carpal ligaments well. That helped a bit. She also manipulated the bones, as some of the carpal bones were slightly displaced, causing my wrist to lock.

She's becoming a bit concerned that I also tore a tendon, and the next week will be critical in bearing that out. If ROM doesn't improve in the medial direction, I get MRIs and possibly surgery.

Still hitting the gym, working legs, abs, and cardio only. It'll be at least 2 more weeks until I can do any kind of push/pull movement, and it will be very light to start. As it stands now, I still can't zip my own motorcycle jacket.

Today, I did five sets of Hammer V Squats, supersetted with standing calf raises. Then three supersets of leg extensions, hamstring curls, and seated calf raises. Wrapped it all up with some weighted incline situps and oblique work. I literally paced around the gym looking for any other machine that I could use, but couldn't find one!

Between the wrist and getting over strep throat, my strength is bubkis. And I've lost six pounds in the last 2 1/2 weeks. It'll definitely be fun to get back in there in earnest.

Rob, I may work with you to draw up a plan for ramping back up when I'm ready...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK man I'm on standy.

Remeber this no matter what anyone tells you:

There's ALWAYS a way...
elephino

Post by elephino »

Five weeks in to rehab, and I just don't know. I did my first upper body workout on Monday, light, and it didn't feel too bad. I pushed through it to an extent, but then called it a day in my second EDT block due to some pain.

By the end of the night, my wrist was swollen and it settled into a deep bruise. Occupational therapist told me to start wearing my splint again, is doing dexamethasone iontophoresis (cool shit), and is sending me to a follow-up MRI.

She thinks I tore a tendon, as I still can't move my wrist radially. It doesn't really hurt, it just won't move that way.

So, either way, it's gonna be another two weeks of rest, with the possibility of surgery and 10 more weeks out of the game completely. All for a stupid fucking bar fight. It's safe to say that I'm frustrated. I've already lost 8 lbs :-/

This is the point in an injury at which I usually say "fuck it" and just charge through the pain until it gets better. But she's strongly advising me that it won't get better unless I let it heal. I really don't know what to do at this point.
Street-dreams

Post by Street-dreams »

listen to your doctor on this one..
elephino

Post by elephino »

Followed up with the ortho today. Told him that I wanted to rule out fracture so I could get back to doing work. He took another set of films and is now convinced that there is a small crack in the scaphoid. He's sending me off for a CT scan to determine whether it's healed enough for me to start lifting, or whether I'm going to be riding the bench for a few more weeks.

Either way, it's small and stable, and it's a matter of whether I can put weight on it yet without cracking it the rest of the way through. So good news/bad news.
elephino

Post by elephino »

Well, fuck. Follow up CT scan shows a scaphoid fracture with 3mm of displacement. Gotta get a screw in that piece next week and start recovery all over again.

Rob, given that I won't be able to use my right hand for a while, what the hell can I do? I'm tired of hack squats, calves, and cardio!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

elephino wrote:Well, fuck. Follow up CT scan shows a scaphoid fracture with 3mm of displacement. Gotta get a screw in that piece next week and start recovery all over again.

Rob, given that I won't be able to use my right hand for a while, what the hell can I do? I'm tired of hack squats, calves, and cardio!!
K man here we go. Solutions to everything in my world so here are The 3 Faces of Fear(tm) thoughts:

Switch it up to include one legged SQ's with one foot elevated on a bench, holds some heavy DB's at your sides. There's your quad dominant movement solution.

On the hams, consider adding either a lying or standing hamstring curl as an antagonist movement. Best in EDT block fashion.

With respect to your calves, consider two sets on the leg sled. Load that mother up and push hard for 20+ reps. Keep the safety's in place. The finish them off with a static hold on the seated calf machine. Two sets with an maximal weight held for 5-10 sec w/about 3 min of rest between sets.

Hit it hard and get the hell out of there. Like Schwartkopff or however you spell it did. He understood... Get in, take care of business and get out.

Hope that helps...
elephino

Post by elephino »

Can do, Rob. Except for the DBs. I won't be able to do push pull for 3-6 months after surgery, depending on whether or not I need a bone graft. Plus, my arm including thumb will be in a cast.

Thanks for the help.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Check your PM's

My cell phone # is there. If you need it, you need only reach out. One of the 3 Faces of Fear(tm) will be on the other end with another solution

:)
elephino

Post by elephino »

whelp. i got the screw and the bone graft. spent a couple weeks being depressed and now ready to get back at it.

Catch is, I cant do any weight-bearing exercise with my right hand for at least 6 more weeks. So I'm thinking about doing a run with squats in the meantime. My calves need work, can I load them like any other muscle, or do I need to treat them like an accessory?

Also, I can't take any supplements that could interfere with the precious little blood flow that the scaphoid needs to heal. Which means no anti-inflammatory of any kind. Any idea on how Kre or N supports or disrupts blood flow within a bone?

elephino

Post by elephino »

For your amusement, here's me right out of surgery, with half my face dead from the nerve block. heh.

Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Sorry to hear it bud, hope you recover soon. I assume your not wearing your BP shirt because you gave it to the hot latina nurse cause she was cold?