Cutting on the Blueprint?

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
vangkm007

Cutting on the Blueprint?

Post by vangkm007 »

OK, I just finished the first German loading pattern, I noticed some fat gain during this portion of the Blueprint. I would like to cut down about 7% bodyfat to be ready in time for summer.

Can I run the nutrition plan from Scivation books "Game Over": https://scivation.com/books/gameover.htm

and still make gains in the next Blueprint steps?
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

Rob has a couple adjustments he will inform you of that will make cutting while on the blueprint and still gaining serious strength very possible

its just a matter of adjusting properly

sticking to a diet like the scivation diet may hinder your gains imho
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

I don't know about that diet...
Never Combine Carbohydrates and Protein
The fact of the matter is, by utilizing this approach, the insulin spike is
dramatically minimized and the carbohydrates will do what we want them to do, refill glycogen stores and support healthy thyroid function.
Not only could I not find any evidence to support the idea that protein has anything whatsoever to do with insulin spikes, I actually found the contrary from Tom Venuto, who I trust more than a supplement company (no offence askmass):
Frequent eating with the right types of carbohydrates combined with lean proteins and small amounts of healthy “good” fats will stabilize your blood sugar and insulin levels, and this is what prevents the energy spikes and crashes.
When you eat complex carbohydrates with your protein every three hours, there is a moderate, but not excessive release of insulin, which delivers the amino acids to “hungry” muscle cells.
proteins and complex carbohydrates are the optimal fat burning meal combination
If you frequently eat carbohydrates or proteins by themselves, your ratios will be "out of balance" and your results will be compromised.
I could go on.
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

unless youre a bodybuilder looking for the final cut befoe a meet then i think that you should stick to eating your complex carbs ( not white bread and sugar cookies) with your protein
seasoned

Post by seasoned »

the_buffer wrote:I don't know about that diet...
Never Combine Carbohydrates and Protein
The fact of the matter is, by utilizing this approach, the insulin spike is
dramatically minimized and the carbohydrates will do what we want them to do, refill glycogen stores and support healthy thyroid function.
Not only could I not find any evidence to support the idea that protein has anything whatsoever to do with insulin spikes, I actually found the contrary from Tom Venuto, who I trust more than a supplement company (no offence askmass):
I think they think that ALL carbs cause insulin spikes. That is TOTALLY wrong! HIGH glycemic carbs cause insulin spikes.

And many now say that the HI GLYCEMIC carbs basically control partitioning. THEY suggest actually taking HIGH glycemic carbs after high protein LOW fat meals, and avoiding them with significant fat all together.

For what it is worth, I DID notice at one point that I gained muscle when I drank sugared drinks. At that point I was on a VERY low carb, HI PROTEIN, diet, and NO high glycemic carbs.

Also, glycogen stores are small, and low glycemic carbs can be very slow. I have actually been on a low carb high protein diet, and tested my blood sugar after, and it was STILL what would be considered a good level for FASTING!
the_buffer wrote:
Frequent eating with the right types of carbohydrates combined with lean proteins and small amounts of healthy “good” fats will stabilize your blood sugar and insulin levels, and this is what prevents the energy spikes and crashes.
When you eat complex carbohydrates with your protein every three hours, there is a moderate, but not excessive release of insulin, which delivers the amino acids to “hungry” muscle cells.
Yeah, but you DID say "HUNGRY". The trick is to get as many guys out there BEGGING as possible. Don't go TOO far though. I would say more here, but I'll be quiet. Let's just say you aren't superman.
the_buffer wrote:
proteins and complex carbohydrates are the optimal fat burning meal combination
If you frequently eat carbohydrates or proteins by themselves, your ratios will be "out of balance" and your results will be compromised.
Yep, you're right there. A lot of those people probably don't practice what they preach. I have been on some diets for quite a while with an IRON WILL, and noticed. If I had that iron will left after what happened only about 11 months ago, I would be FAR better off now. 8-(
the_buffer wrote:I could go on.
I wish you would! Meant as a compliment!
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

I see what you guys are saying... maybe the people that wrote that did not consider fibrous carbs when they wrote that. It's strange that they would do that because anyone doing an intense cut should have enough experience that they don't need things to be dumbed down that much.

and just for you seasoned...
When you eat carbohydrates, they’re digested and absorbed into the bloodstream in the form of glucose (blood sugar). This triggers the pancreas to release the hormone insulin. The amount of insulin released will correspond to the amount and type of carbohydrates consumed.
vangkm007

Post by vangkm007 »

the_buffer wrote:I see what you guys are saying... maybe the people that wrote that did not consider fibrous carbs when they wrote that. It's strange that they would do that because anyone doing an intense cut should have enough experience that they don't need things to be dumbed down that much.
If you read the whole book they do recommend fibrous carbs. They only recommend that when you "carb up" that you eat no protein and that is only one meal per week.

You have to take the whole book into context and not just an excerpt just like "The Blueprint".

I'm prone to believing the information behind the discussed book is solid because the products that company puts out are all very solid.

To answer the person who said this book is for those who are looking for contest prep, yes it's true. It is my goal to be well conditioned throughout the year. Maybe not "contest" conditioned but I am trying to achieve a pinnacle of: flexibility, speed, agility and strength. I'm not just concerned with the amount of weight I can lift, but other aspects of athleticism as well. It's a whole package, I love being active and want to see all those aspects of athleticism working together for me.

That said, I'd be interested in hearing Rob's input.
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

ya, I got that, it appears to have the elements of a pretty standard carb cycling diet, I've just never heard of taking carbs and protein at different times, I've looked some more and still haven't found any evidence that protein affects insulin spikes. If you find some I'd be very interested to see that.
Scaramussa

Post by Scaramussa »

Protein causes insulin spikes. So if you drink a fast absorption protein drink, it causes a insulin spike almost like sugar (I do think that everything that has a characterist of rapid gastric emptying causes big insulin spikes).