Sample Feast Phase Workout Template

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Let's take this one workout at a time. Here's workout #1, in its entirety:

Workouts 1

- Bench press for as many as you can get in the 8-10 rep range. NOTE
this is ONE set (after warmups) ala Mike Mentzer/Heavy Duty fame

- Immediately perform a set of heavy dumbell pullovers* (8-10 reps),
failing to raise the weight in that specified rep range.

- Focus on maximally stretching the muscle at the bottom of the
movement.

* Should be performed on a SLIGHT incline bench. If using an adjustable
bench, incline it one notch.

EDT BLOCK - sets performed back to back

Incline DB presses
Tbar rows

KEY POINTS

- Alternate antagonistic muscle exercises in jump set fahion
- Staley's generally uses 15-20 minutes, (called a PR Zones).
- You perform just this ONE PR Zone per workout.
- Your target weight is one that you can do 10 clean reps with.
- You will begin with alternating sets of 5 or 6 reps.
- As you tire, you may reduce set reps to 4 then 2 and end with singles OR try to burn out with as many reps in the last set!
- Your goal is to do as many reps with good form as possible in the PR Zone.
- Do not work to, or near failure in the early sets.
- You may reach failure at the end as you try to beat your previous record.
- Once able to do 20% more reps than your prior workout, increase load 5% and begin again.

THEN

- Squats for as many reps as you can get in the 8-10 rep range. NOTE:
This is ONE work set after warmups to absolute muscular failure
- Followed immediately by a set of stiff legged or Dimel deadlifts (8-10
reps).
- Focus on maximally stretching the muscle at the bottom of the
movement.

EDT BLOCK - Sets performed back to back

Romanian Deadlifts
Leg Sled

This may look onerous right now beefcake, but once you actually get in there with a few workouts under your belt the learning curve sharpens up dramatically.

Beefcake is currently cutting for a contest so let's help her as much as we can guys! Plenty of time to grasp it beefcake. When you start your log here I will be here every step of the way. Every question answered within 24 hours.

That's a promise :)
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

whoa, a female - cutting for a contest

running blueprint

dayum girl

in for pics AND results :P

hehe seriously though we're all here to help
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Alright, about the workout... I workout at home so my equipment is limited.

-DB Pullovers = heaviest DB I have is 35lbs... May be able to buy 40s before I start, but... I dunno about any heavier. I've been doin my 30s (I just bought the 35s) for reps of 15 and there's no way that was to failure... Should I just stick with the 35s/maybe 40s, or do heavy Flyes? they stretch too...

Terminology:
EDT Blocks??
Jump set is a superset right?
PR Zone??

- I don't have a way to do T-Bar rows, is bentover bb rows alright?
- Leg sled?? got nothing like that... maybe do Hack Squats??
- "Once able to do 20% more reps than your prior workout, increase load 5% and begin again. " Begin again? like.. if one day, I beat it, do it all over again that day? Or just if session 2 I beat session 1, session 3 gets 5% more...?

I don't know if I'm just really slow or not here lol...

How many of these type of workouts do I have to do?
Is it supposed to continue for the entirety of the Feast phase?
I have a workout routine being made up for me now, where would I fit that in??

I like to have a solid plan set out in front of me before I jump into something so I'm not going in blind. I can respect the take it a day at the time thing, but I want to make sure I understand what's coming up for sure.

And yes.. I'm cutting, but it's for an online contest, not a real BB type contest. It ends next week, hoping to place at least top 5. (there's only 16 of us, and 25 place prizes... lol).

Once that ends, I'll probably make a log here, and I can post pictures as well.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

Hack squats are a GREAT exercise
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great questions.

For now, JUST focus on Famine. The big picture is BIG indeed so we'll get there. So... do you have any questions about famine, either the training or dietary template?

I'm not avoiding the questions, just lending my experience. You will continue your current routine and diet until such time as the contest is over.

Terms such as EDT blocks, exercises you may or may not be able to perform, I will address all of that. There is always a way. For now, keep doing what you're doing.

It is the week off after competition though and Famine, that should be on your mind. I know it's frustrating but overwhelmed isn't a good place to be so... trying to make it EASY for you (or anyone) new to this. As you can tell, I like "unorthodox" everything :)
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

I'm going through something a little worse than famine atm (just finished my 3rd day of PSMF... boooo); I'm all ready for that, I think. I posted some questions in the Famine sticky regarding Famine though :p
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I'm all over it. Sorry to hear about the dieting quandry... PSMF's are potentially dangerous if you're not familiar with them. Proceed with extreme caution!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Felt bad about not being able to answer these last night so let me try again for you (even though we're focusing on Famine now so thank you for observing that):

Terminology:

Q. EDT Blocks??

A. Best description. They are othewise known as "EDT PR ZONES". I call them EDT blocks because I copyright/trademark everything I do even though when it comes time to enforce it, my lawyers tell me they can't. This, because the criminal is usually located somewhere in Tibet, lives in a tree with his cats and under an alias of some sort.

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=437

Q. Jump set is a superset right?

A. Technically no, but they way you're thinking yes. Back to back is the best way to describe it with no rest in between movements

Q. PR Zone??
A. Staley's terminology for EDT Blocks. He ripped me off, see? :)

Q. I don't have a way to do T-Bar rows, is bentover bb rows alright?
A. Yes, although a suitable alternative is putting one end of a BB in a corner with a 25lb plate on it, load up the other end and straddle the bar. Grip the bar with both hands and row away. A bit too much stress on the lower back for my liking BUT then again, builds core strength too. Plus, it's fun manhandling things.

Q. Leg sled?? got nothing like that... maybe do Hack Squats??
A. Otherwise known as a leg press, usually 45 degrees. Perhaps I used the wrong terminology. Most gyms have these. In college, we called it the leg sled. That was in the mesozoic era though. I'm out of touch as I train in my basement - alone with the voices.

Q. "Once able to do 20% more reps than your prior workout, increase load 5% and begin again. " Begin again? like.. if one day, I beat it, do it all over again that day?

A. No, you'd increase the load 5% at the NEXT workout, establishing a new baseline. The other option is that if you're growing bored with it either in the mind/body, switch the exercise template. If you need suggestions, by all means give me a list of what's availble. I can help..

Q. Or just if session 2 I beat session 1, session 3 gets 5% more...?

A. Once your new baseline is established with the additional 5% weight, your goal is to keep the same weight, but increase the REP TOTAL from workout to workout until such time as you're able to do 20% more reps.

Make sense?

Q. I don't know if I'm just really slow or not here lol...

A. No, likely overwhelmed. I've heard from people new to the BP their heart rate increases reading it for the first time. Totally natural and glad I could do it for you :) I will be here to ensure you are comfortable at some point, as will the others.

Q. How many of these type of workouts do I have to do?
Is it supposed to continue for the entirety of the Feast phase?
I have a workout routine being made up for me now, where would I fit that in??

A. This is largely up to you. I like inserting my EDT blocks starting workouts 1-5 and perhaps skipping them on workout 4 (the deload prior to max day).

Upon resuming Feast with the loading pattern of your choice, I usually switch to a new EDT exercise template, utilizing 2 EDT blocks after upper body day and 1 on lower body. The reason I favor 1 on lower body day is that if using compound movments (leg sled/Romanian Deadlifts let's say), they are absolutely EXHAUSTING.

Keep in mind those come AFTER your GLP1 sets, which get intense FAST. Finsih off with ab work (static ab crunch) LAST.

BP or not, do your ab work LAST in these workouts and definately AFTER any movement where vertical loading of the spine is seen (i.e. squats, deadlifts or rows of any sort).

Otherwise, you'll be friendly with a chiro real fast. Fatiguing the abs going into a heavy sets of squats/deads is begging for injury.

Been there, made that mistake and suffered the consequences. Offering that advice here in the hope you are spared :)
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Thanks for trying to clear that all up for me Rob!

I think I'm kind of getting it, but some things still aren't clicking together. I can wait till closer to the time for it before I worry about that, though. Most things are understood now.... I think..... maybe......... ish.......
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Good, glad I could help.

You are experiencing the typical learning curve. A bit slower but that's because you're currently zoning in/dieting for a contest. I've been there. It's like looking through a straw so please don't feel bad about this.

It's a natural evolution for people new to the Blueprint.. :)
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

beefcake66 wrote:I'm going through something a little worse than famine atm (just finished my 3rd day of PSMF... boooo); I'm all ready for that, I think. I posted some questions in the Famine sticky regarding Famine though :p
How long did this last and how much did weight you loose, and did you loose any muscle?
timmo90

Post by timmo90 »

In the german loading pattern #1 when doing 1 on 2 off does that mean do both ur lifts on the on day (squat and BP) or do u just do one each "on" day?

Also i have some serious problems with flexability in my hamstrings which gives me very small movement in stiff legged deads and alot of knee bend if trying to perform romanian deadlifts, do i just do these to the best of my ability or what?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great question. Ideally, you split them up (i.e. an upper body day and a lower body day).

On the hams.. understand. Try this; leg press with feet HIGH on the platform pushing from the HEELS.

Works the hell out of the hams and is a nice alternative insofar as overload is concerned. There's always a way.. :)
hally83

Re: EDT

Post by hally83 »

peb5048 wrote:I have been researching EDT training and I have found a workout book that I actually own with an entire chapter explaining it, the book is called 101 High Intensity Workouts or Fast Results by Muscle and Fitness.

Can you tell me if this is correct?
In GLP training on BP day, I would do 2 PR Zone Block 's consisting of exercises that are antagonists with my chest (Back or Biceps)

So my PR Blocks on Workout 1 BP could be:

1. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press w/ Seated Cable Row

2. Dips/ Weighted Pull-ups

My PR Blocks Workout 1 SQ could be:

1. Hack Squats w/ Romanian Deadlift

2. Leg Curl w/ Leg Extension

Is this correct? If so where does ab work and bicep/tricep work fall into?
Ok this contradicts what u said in your first post. You said only to do 1 PR block per workout. This guy says to do 2 per workout and u say he is right? Which one is right lol???

Also is this the way to plan EDT's - if your doing SQ then choose one Leg exercise eg deadlift and superset it with an opposite lower body exercise eg Calve raises?

If this is correct when do u do abs???