Cardio/Warm up

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
ielite

Cardio/Warm up

Post by ielite »

Hello, I just went through some reads of the ebook and am now in the process of planning my next session of workout outs, using it as a guideline. I just had some questions:

-I have a habit of doing a bit of cardio(150-160 BP range) for 25 minutes before workouts-Would this not be suggested in any phase or at all? I also have a habit of some stretches focused on the parts that were exercised for that day. OK to do/not recommended?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Those are fine. Just don't over-do it. Cardio is great but I much prefer HIIT cardio vs. long duration stuff.

Witness the physique of a sprinter vs. a runner. BIG difference!
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

The type of cardio that works best also depends on what phase you're in as well since they all have vastly different goals.

Stretching is good too, but it isn't warming up. As long as you do it after exercising you should be good. There's analogy out there somewhere about muscles being like rubber bands... you don't want to stretch them cold.
warriorcookie

Post by warriorcookie »

I have been told light balistic stretching before the workout and static stretching after.

What I have read is that static hold stretching before the workout can decrease your performance. Balistic stretching warms up the muscle.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Much controvery here. Here's my $.02:

Stretching WITH WEIGHTS improves strength pior to the workout. Stretching WITHOUT them prior DECREASES strength.

Again, just my opinion...
warriorcookie

Post by warriorcookie »

cool, will have to give that a try.

hehe, this is a pretty cool place to hang out. I'm sure we've all experienced, over at bbforums, a topic like this would have turned into a flame war and name calling within minutes.

Here, we can share ideas openly.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

And to all you trolls/would be trolls... you're going to find out the hard way things will be STAYING this way.

IP addresses are being collected now on 3. There's your one and only warning.
PushingTheLimit

Post by PushingTheLimit »

My warm up is rather extensive. I personally begin by using a foam roll on the muscle groups I am going to hit that day. I follow that with some light cardio on the treadmill. Finally I do some dynamic stretching with some light plyometrics to make sure everything is ready to go. Takes about 15-20 mins but after I am fully prepared for my workout.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great contribution PTL!

Nice to have you back around these parts.. :)
PushingTheLimit

Post by PushingTheLimit »

Haha I pop in and out from time to time 8)