Training on an empty stomach

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
the_buffer

Training on an empty stomach

Post by the_buffer »

In theory this sounds like a bad idea, but I was reading through "maximum Muscle, minimum fat" and Ori suggests that this puts you in the best possible position to trigger anabolic hormones and burn fat at the same time.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this with blueprint?
Big.jazayrli

Re: Training on an empty stomach

Post by Big.jazayrli »

the_buffer wrote:In theory this sounds like a bad idea, but I was reading through "maximum Muscle, minimum fat" and Ori suggests that this puts you in the best possible position to trigger anabolic hormones and burn fat at the same time.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this with blueprint?
alot of people who run the Intermittent fasting diet actually only break the fast just before the workout, and even then its only with some aminos

Its not unheard of

Personally I throw down a protein bar and some carbs pre-workout but thats it
SkyZero

Post by SkyZero »

i was just going to ask the same question. I've been on IF for a couple of months while on my cut and am used to training fasted (still take a pre-wo and BCAA's though).
doolee

Post by doolee »

personally, I train on an empty stomach of around 4-5 hours, because that fits in my meal plans at college. It is nice in that I take EC preworkout so I don't have to worry about not having an empty stomach. I figure Rob's recommended 25g+ aminos and 75g of sugar will help limit catabolic activity during my workout.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Not a bad way to go into the workout, but I still favor intra workout nutrition immensely.

The data is rock solid and you're giving up a LOT by training on just water if that's the suggestion.

Still, I respect individual likes/dislikes and LOVE experimenting. If that's you, GO FOR IT!
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

SkyZero wrote:i was just going to ask the same question. I've been on IF for a couple of months while on my cut and am used to training fasted (still take a pre-wo and BCAA's though).
that wouldn't be considered fasted really, the BCAA influx is all you need
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

What would be the best phase to experiment with this?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I'd try it during Famine workout #1 only.

Famine workout #2 would be dicey and DEFINATELY do NOT attempt this on Famine workout #3.

Provided you are coming off a strong Feast, I'd toy with it a bit during the second week of Cruise. You might observe some interesting effects there given the multi-set protocol/different training protocol vs. Famine workout #1. It would also allow for multilple experiments/workouts vs. just the one during Famine.

Lovehasrisen ran a VERY successful IF Feast Cycle. You may want to touch base with him for more details.

The common denominator that I can see with respect to IF + BP is this:

If you're an endomorph/mesomorph or some mix, it has a higher degree of success. If you're an ectomorph, your chances of success are less so.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

I'm responding pretty well to IF thus far for what its worth

interestingly my weight is staying pretty much the same but I feel like im visibly leaner within a matter of weeks.. odd phenomenon!
SkyZero

Post by SkyZero »

Big.jazayrli wrote:I'm responding pretty well to IF thus far for what its worth

interestingly my weight is staying pretty much the same but I feel like im visibly leaner within a matter of weeks.. odd phenomenon!
interesting, do you take a shake or anything intra-workout?

i saw the recipe for the shake in the book, but might have a problem putting one together as i don't have access to a blender.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

i use just BCAAs intraworkout now

Its hard to guage my strength really at this point, I can tell my bench is right where it was

but in terms of squatting strength its really hard to tell with the program I'm running without any direct ME squatting days

Any insight on that aspect of Westside Rob?
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

Well I tried this today, and I regretted it for a couple hours after. the post workout nausea was aweful. The fact that I worked my abs today as well probably didn't help anything. I don't think I'll be trying it again soon.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Big.Jaz, that was always my issue with Westside... where am I going to end up?

With our loading patterns, you know where and exactly where you need to be every step in between.

I am NOT dissing West-side. It just seems difficult to guage if what you're doing.... is working.