thoughts on post-workout shakes?

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
SkyZero

thoughts on post-workout shakes?

Post by SkyZero »

Has anybody used post-work out shakes on their blueprint run? Things like Universal Torrent or Aftershock?

Reason I ask is because I go straight to work after the gym and I find these to be pretty convenient.
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

I mix 25g whey protein, 40g waxy maize and 3g creatine mono in a shaker bottle and I bring it to the gym. At the end of workout I add water. Less expensive then premix powder and as efficient if not better.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

I support askmass's response here
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I think post workout drinks are old news. You want an INTRA workout drink consumed 15 min prior, between sets and finishing up after your BP run.

Here's my current concoction:

100g Pure Karbolyn
50g Mass Pro Vanilla
20g MassPro Amino

There's your 2:1 carb to protein ratio, MassPro contains the highly sought after di-tri peptides and the MPA is key insofar as bypassing normal (gut) absorption. The PK won't show on you like dextrose, nor is there a rise and crash in blood sugar.

I've put it to the glucometer too. It FAR surpasses using dextrose/walmart whey or any pre-mixed blend...
Mikereade

Post by Mikereade »

Hey Rob, I'm just curious about the whey and the absorption. I was always told not to drink it during a workout or too soon before because it doesn't digest or something to that effect.

I currently have myofusion/ On whey/ and dymatize, do either of these work with what you suggest?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Straight whey (either concentrate or isolate) that hasn't been hydrolyzed takes too long to get to the muscle. Despite what you've read about whey being a "fast" protein, it's not fast enough given the positioning I'm proposing here.

What IS fast enough are the di-tri peptides found in a hydrolyzed whey and of course, BCAA's. These go almost immediately into circulation and reach the muscle in time to work their magic. They also act as signaling agents (i.e. leucine) vs. just being there to meet energy demands, being incorporated into structural proteins etc..

Check your labels. If you don't see cold processed/hyrolyzed/peptides found in abundance - get one pronto. I use MassPro because it has all that and a bunch more. It's my go-to product for these and other situations and has been for a decade. Never let me down...

I take no favor though, use quality but use what works best for you!!
ckeahey76

Post by ckeahey76 »

I mix 3 scoops of protein with 12 ounces of water and about 10 - 15 ice cubes, also I add 1 cup of oatmeal, and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and 1 scoop of BCAA's.

Blend it in a blender for 60 - 90 seconds and drink, it tastes good and the more ice, the more it comes out like ice cream.
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

a while back I got this amino acid product called Animal Nitro. It suggested taking it post-WO then waiting at least 15 min before taking a whey supplement.

So does that suggest that taking a non-hydrolyzed whey will slow down the absorption of a BCAA product?

more to the point: would that suggestion be accurate?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

No, BCAA's have a different mechansim by which they go directly into circulation.

I've heard theories that taking a non hydrolyzed whey alongside BCAA would be detrimental. However, in practice I see no such evidence. It's majoring in the minors IMO and besides, I use MassPro (partially hydrolyzed + individual peptide bonded taurine and glutamine) so I'm getting the best of 3 different worlds:

1.) BCAA's
2.) Hydrolyzed Whey
3.) Non-hydrolyzed whey

That doesn't include the added taurine, glutamine, BCAA's inherent in whey (25%), colostrum and associated growth factors/immune boosting properties from lactoferrin, etc..

When you add it all up, MassPro is quite the investment. I'm not saying it's the ONLY good whey out there but check around..... the other cold processed whey's I've seen are either much lower in grams of protein, much higher in carbs/fats or taste like rancid dog vomit. To each his own but I eagerly await MASS's year end blowout sale :)
the_buffer

Post by the_buffer »

speaking of which... there seem to be a bunch of black friday specials going on; is Mass getting in on that?
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Our always highly anticipated annual year end sale is coming VERY soon... I think it's year 14 this go around for it.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

THIS is what I've been waiting for :)
ckeahey76

Post by ckeahey76 »

Our always highly anticipated annual year end sale is coming VERY soon...

You, uhmm, you have my attention. Tell me more.